Future Bike Model Proposal: Roadster 800

Hello, this specific new model will have a torque sensor, but not be a step-thru bike and have standard touring riser bars. Our 700 series has a ST frame with swept back bars, and soon our 500 series will have an ST frame with swept back handlebars as well.
Any chance you will be offering the cafe/euro bars on the new model as an option?

Hello, this specific new model will have a torque sensor, but not be a step-thru bike and have standard touring riser bars. Our 700 series has a ST frame with swept back bars, and soon our 500 series will have an ST frame with swept back handlebars as well.
The 500 in a ST frame will be a welcome addition to your product line. I love my 500 step over for many reasons ... but it's 10 to 15 lbs lighter than other bikes at this price point, makes it very easy to pedal with no assist on the flats, thus giving me almost unlimited range. I will be an early buyer of the 500 ST for my wife. I assume the battery will be the same as my 500 step over?

Actually, we are changing the 500 series batteries to a 13ah battery. There are a lot of positive updates/changes. It's hard to get into all the specifics and some things are in the works. I will do my best to share all details as soon as we finish production and have all the specs and looks solidified. Thanks for you support and interest =D

Kevin, will either model have torque sensors? What about step-through and swept back handlebars like the 700ST? I am really tempted to buy a Biktrix Swift because it has so many of the features I like. However, I feel you guys really design a nicer bike (wiring, parts used, and aesthetically) and would rather wait and purchase from you guys if the features are going to be available.
I was wrong, the torque sensor model will have swept back bars, but not a step-thru frame on that model.

I was wrong, the torque sensor model will have swept back bars, but not a step-thru frame on that model.
Doh! Of course, now that I ordered another bike. I knew I should have waited for a reply. Well, I am sure someone else will be able to appreciate that option. Dang :-(

The models are still in the works. We are having issues and delays in trying to make everything perfect. They are still so far out, I wouldn't be too disappointed. The 700ST is a ideal bike if you want a step through frame.
IMO.

The models are still in the works. We are having issues and delays in trying to make everything perfect. They are still so far out, I wouldn't be too disappointed. The 700ST is a ideal bike if you want a step through frame.
IMO.

It will be fun to at least have photos to look at, once you get them, even though it will be months down the road.

My first ebike, which I purchased around six years ago, was stolen and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Ride1Up. Any news on the upcoming new models? I can get by with my regular bike for a while.

My first ebike, which I purchased around six years ago, was stolen and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Ride1Up. Any news on the upcoming new models? I can get by with my regular bike for a while.
I’ve been told by a very reputable source, soon. Soon enough that I sold my 700 (which I absolutely love) and put aside $1700. Thanks stimulus check!

I’ve been told by a very reputable source, soon. Soon enough that I sold my 700 (which I absolutely love) and put aside $1700. Thanks stimulus check!

Going to assume you're a troll/trolling.

Shipping from China alone takes a month. If he hadn't ironed out the specs last month, it's not going to come out before July.

@Magmir, I contacted the company and they said late April, early May announcement.

A thought: if Vanmoof can make an ebike that tops out at 20 mph with a rigid fork and 50 mm wide tires, and win wide praise for the ride, it stands to reason you could make a bike with equivalent ride quality at higher speeds with a rigid fork, by using a higher air volume tire.

Say, a 559-70 (26" x 2.8") or maybe a 559-62, respectively Vee Speedster and Schwalbe Moto, with a design speed of 22-24 mph. There's also the Moto in 27.5" x 2.8" though it's nice to keep overall wheel + tire diameter down.

The bike would still be capable of higher speeds, but the design speed, or intended speed, would be closer to what riders already prefer to ride at, including those as experienced as @Ravi Kempaiah (see thread
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-what-is-your-preferred-cruising-speed.33275/ ).

Riders wanting a bit more comfort or higher speeds could add a suspension seatpost and/or stem.

Ravi, a thought for your future ebike. Evidently the minimalist aesthetic of Vanmoof is popular, and you could bring some of that to a speed pedelec. Though I think Vanmoof takes it too far, past the point of mass utility (eg nonremovable battery). A suspension is almost always chunky visually and physically.

Electra has already done a bike precisely like this and got a positive review.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200422-071125_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20200422-071125_Brave.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 315
New bikes up.

Interesting bike; for commuting, the 700 is unfortunately still the better bet. No rack, no fenders, <9 speeds but $200 more.

I don't mind paying extra for a torque sensor, the problem is you have a brand wanting to hit a price target so the sensor necessarily comes at the expense of something else. Which in this case, is a rack, fenders and maybe a better groupset.

I gather there's a problem with doing 9-10 speeds?

They also updated their entry level roadster model.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 11.27.31 PM.png

I have been thinking along the same lines so I just built this bike. I agree that a high volume tire on a rigid bike is good in that you can run a lower psi. Rather than going wider with this one I went to a larger diameter wheel that a friend is developing and provided me for trials. For road use I like a narrower tire for efficiency sake and the ability to run psi in the low 30's really makes for a smooth ride.

Build details in the DIY forum.

Interesting bike; for commuting, the 700 is unfortunately still the better bet. No rack, no fenders, <9 speeds but $200 more.

I don't mind paying extra for a torque sensor, the problem is you have a brand wanting to hit a price target so the sensor necessarily comes at the expense of something else. Which in this case, is a rack, fenders and maybe a better groupset.

I gather there's a problem with doing 9-10 speeds?

They also updated their entry level roadster model.

First of all let me say the new entry level is slick. For that price point I’m pretty sure it’s going to be on a lot of lists for bikes to buy under 1k which was smart. As for the Lmtd, I’ll grant that it’s not for everyone, but I definitely don’t think they were trying to fill a price point (an odd thought for anyone in business really).

A lot of little upgrades that some might want that push the price to build up. Yes, the torque sensor, which affects the way an ebike works (the same kind of sensor on my e-mtb) but also a sleeker, more integrated battery and look. In addition, the upgraded motor which has the ability to provide much higher top speeds and, coupled with the torque sensor, much faster acceleration. (Also forgot to include the fact that this is 11 lbs. lighter than the 700 😳)

Each person has different needs in a bike (which is why I’m buying my gf a different brand all together) so it’s nice that they are making an ebike for people who know the difference. That along with a great entry level, great step up commuter, and the 700, which is a phenomal bike top to bottom, the Ride1up has all their bases covered. I can splurge on my own rack and fenders.

Last edited:
Both of the new models seem appealing to me for different reasons. Frankly if the 1K one had riser bars I'd go with that one as it would suit my needs with a rack, but I really don't like the swept back bars. I know I could swap it myself, but I'd rather not.

Like Asher said, out of this lineup I think the 700 makes the most sense for me, which is unfortunate because the new frame is slick.

First of all let me say the new entry level is slick. For that price point I’m pretty sure it’s going to be on a lot of lists for bikes to buy under 1k which was smart. As for the Lmtd, I’ll grant that it’s not for everyone, but I definitely don’t think they were trying to fill a price point (an odd thought for anyone in business really).

I like the entry level but the super tall headtube/stem combo made me cringe lol.

Agree with your other points, the LTD is great for the right people;

'trying to fill a price point' is something almost every business does. Unless you have one customer for whom money is no object. You research what customers are willing to pay and design a product within that budget (leaving some room for profit margin and such). Of course customers willingness to pay (WTP) depends on the product details, but Ride1Up is clearly targeting the $1-2k segment - which I think is wise given how that's really all you need for a quality ebike.

@Magmir how come you don't like backswept bars?

Back