Full waterproof pants and shoes

elect

So, long short story, I just got my half lower body completely wet..

I only have a big poncho (this for the precision)

However, solutions like this one

are still inefficient because I get a lot of water from the bottom and they are completely useless when you have to lay down a feet at the traffic light or I parked the bike and have to walk and everything is 10cm flooded

I looked for some pants with fully integrated feet cover, but I couldnt find anything, always just pants or just feet cover, like this one:

Is anyone aware of a solution that combine the two parts together?

Kind like this

but for cicling

I like the Gortex and other breathable membrane garments...they are worth the extra money for sure. Many are pack-able which allows you to carry fun rain gear in a back pack (essential if you are a serious commuter). Goretex shoes are also good but when there is a constant splash up from the front wheel onto your feet (no one tell you that fenders are essentially worthless when it comes to your feet getting wet from the wheel splashes).

Note: I have also found that at above say 20mph front fenders allow water to be moved to the front edge of the fender where it is typically released upwards and comes back into you.

I live in Raincouver...we have amassed reams of wet weather gear. Here is a short list of the best stuff I have used on the bottom half. Pants = Arc'teryx Gortex pants. I can ride 4 hours in non-stop rain and they do their job. Waterproof shoes are useless without waterproof socks. water will come down from the top and soak your socks. Waterproof boots are better. The best socks I have used are the Sealskinz. Eventually they will lose their effectiveness but they are much better than the Bridgedales I currently use. Waterproof boots = Salomon Outpath pro gtx . These are comfortable, lightweight and not too hot , but have strong soles with meaty treads They have a zippered flap over the laces . Eventually water will get through the top zipper though, and that is why I use WP socks too.
1566954252653.png

Last edited:
My own experience is that Gore-Tex will keep you somewhat dry in heavy rainfall if you are moderately active for a few hours. Eventually it either starts leaking or stops breathing. Given that such pants are also both crazy expensive and astonishingly easy to pulverize I look elsewhere for a solution these days.

One option is Frogg Toggs, which are inexpensive, light, not very durable, but perform just as well or better (especially when new) than Sweat-Tex. Full rain suits (jacket and pants) are about $45.

Another option is to wear lightweight clothing that dries quickly and bring work clothes in a waterproof pannier or trunk bag. There are very inexpensive and lightweight wind pants that will dry out in minutes, absorb very little (e.g. no) water, and breathe well enough that you won't be stewing in your own juices.

For socks, Sealskinz are okay but the newer Shower's Pass socks are (I think) better. They will keep your feet warm and dry for a few hours out in the deluge and seem to breathe slightly better than the Sealskinz.

Bluntly no known technology will keep you dry if you are very active in heavy rainfall. Except perhaps an umbrella (which is impractical for cycling).

Bluntly no known technology will keep you dry if you are very active in heavy rainfall. Except perhaps an umbrella (which is impractical for cycling).

I worked outdoors, year round, in the Temperate Rainforest. Raingear will keep you from getting soaking wet, but you will be damp if you are active and have a normal metabolism. I call raingear a sauna suit. That includes all the breathable stuff too. What I liked best for working would not be suitable for biking--Filson Tin Pants and a wool or fleece top with a couple of dry tops in the pickup. I could also wear an unzipped rain coat if it was cool enough. You just have to have the right frame of mind that you won't melt and you can get dry when you get home.

Shoe/boot dryers are a wonderful invention. I have a Peet brand shoe dryer that is 25 years old and has had a lot of use and keeps on working.

OK I will try the Showers Pass socks this winter on your say so. All Gore-tex is not the same though. Have you tried the Arc'teryx pants? They don't leak at the seams. They are super expensive but they are really good. https://www.gearweare.com/review/best-gore-tex-pants/

My experience with the Arc'teryx pants is that they are more waterproof and less breathable. My personal biggest issue with any goretex rain pants is that they vent and breathe poorly, especially in very wet conditions. If they are new or recently restored the DWR will repel water but everywhere there is a water droplet the membrane cannot pass water vapor so eventually they do not breathe. If they are less new as soon as the fabric "wets out" the membrane cannot breathe.

My experience with the Arc'teryx pants is that they are more waterproof and less breathable. My personal biggest issue with any goretex rain pants is that they vent and breathe poorly, especially in very wet conditions. If they are new or recently restored the DWR will repel water but everywhere there is a water droplet the membrane cannot pass water vapor so eventually they do not breathe. If they are less new as soon as the fabric "wets out" the membrane cannot breathe.
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But why the heck are we talking raingear on the sunniest hottest day of the year around here anyways ?

To my suprise and frustration, Gortex and other 'breathable" raingear is not completely waterproof. I have two, very nice Gortex jackets that are a couple years old that both let water through. What I found, by questioning everyone I came across that knew anything about rain gear is that Gortex depends partialy on a chemical treatment that is sprayed on at the time of production. It wears off after about a year and you begin to get some weeping of moisture through the fabric. What they don't tell you is that you need to renew this coating every year or so for the garment to be fully water proof. After spending $350 on a "water proof" coat I was a bit frustrated to learn this but have since gotten with the program and spray my Gortex rain gear yearly. As far as wet feet, for bicycling I think I would go with some light booties that go on over the shoe and under the pants. Pants with built in booties just seems like it could be problematic.

To my suprise and frustration, Gortex and other 'breathable" raingear is not completely waterproof. I have two, very nice Gortex jackets that are a couple years old that both let water through. What I found, by questioning everyone I came across that knew anything about rain gear is that Gortex depends partialy on a chemical treatment that is sprayed on at the time of production. It wears off after about a year and you begin to get some weeping of moisture through the fabric. What they don't tell you is that you need to renew this coating every year or so for the garment to be fully water proof. After spending $350 on a "water proof" coat I was a bit frustrated to learn this but have since gotten with the program and spray my Gortex rain gear yearly. As far as wet feet, for bicycling I think I would go with some light booties that go on over the shoe and under the pants. Pants with built in booties just seems like it could be problematic.

Actually I recommend wash-in treatments rather than spray-on because they will last longer and are considerably less messy to apply.

Those same treatments work fine on "soft shell" clothing that is more breathable as well.

Spent half my life riding motorcycles and never found a pair of pants that didnt leak at the crotch where the seams meet, worst place to get wet n cold..

Best you can do on a bike is slow down the inevitable. You will get sweaty wet or the rain will get thru anything that breaths. I tried a couple goretex shoes and boots and ended up just using plastic booties that I pack when it rains (just went with XLs so I could put over my regular shoes and they work as good as anything but only last about 10 uses but they are cheap at like $3/pair on ebay).

I do still have the lightest goretex jacket and pants I could find that I pack for when it rains. They are good enough for my commute rides of upwards of 20 miles.

What is shocking to me is how bad front fenders are. The water from the street splashes onto your feet regardless how good the fender is and if you ride anything over 15mph the air pressure between the tire and the fender just pumps the water to the front of the fender when a lot of it is released right up onto you. I know some fenders have grooves to move it to the sides but they are margin functional at best. I found that a short fender right at the fork tubes (like many mountain bikers use as a mud shield) tends to be as good as a full length fender.

You can stay dry on a bike if you want to carry 6 additional items with you everywhere:

Knee height pullover rain boots, both heavy and... less than comfortable to ride in,
Rain pants (I use Solomon), large enough to pull over whatever winter clothing you might be wearing, venting and pocket access can be bad.
Waterproof socks
A poncho- Cleverhood (https://www.cleverhood.com/shop/rainwear/electric-houndstooth-cape/). You can't miss this one in the dark!
A great light rain jacket with a hood that can easily cover your helmet.
Superior gloves

Fenders are a bit useless when you splash water puddles. Water splashes sideways, effectively avoiding fenders and splashing your feet.

Sorry man, you got the wrong fenders. The reason I can stay so dry is because of my fenders, they are a must for me. The fenders should drop to just inches from the ground in back and far enough forward so the tire can't throw water up for you to move through.

Fenders are a bit useless when you splash water puddles. Water splashes sideways, effectively avoiding fenders and splashing your feet.

Some riders claim that their fenders keep their feet dry but I took a yard stick from the tire to the pedals and there no fender that stops tire splashing onto your feet and it's 90% of the reason why feet get soaked while riding. In reality if you are riding while it's raining fenders are not going to keep you dry. I do have a good rear fender just to keep the dirty water from my back. A short front at the right position seems to do OK job of that up front.

One option is Frogg Toggs, which are inexpensive, light, not very durable, but perform just as well or better (especially when new) than Sweat-Tex. Full rain suits (jacket and pants) are about $45.
Agreed! I've been pleased. BUT I don't spend long hours riding in the rain. Heavy rains are a very dangerous time for cycling. One of the risks I take GREAT care with. But then retired, I can always wait. I use a bicycle rain cape, BRIGHT RED Froog Toog pants. All Toggs come from closeout reseller like Sierra Trading Post. I have some MC gear but the "technical fabric" gets quite stuffy!

Some riders claim that their fenders keep their feet dry but I took a yard stick from the tire to the pedals and there no fender that stops tire splashing onto your feet and it's 90% of the reason why feet get soaked while riding. In reality if you are riding while it's raining fenders are not going to keep you dry. I do have a good rear fender just to keep the dirty water from my back. A short front at the right position seems to do OK job of that up front.

I really don't wear much water coming off the tire or being splashed... if I did I would have hung a spray flap as I did in the rear to keep my trailer clean. I don't stay dry when I'm riding in the rain because, well... I'm riding my bike in the rain. But I don't wear any dirt and grim either. "In reality" the fenders aren't meant to keep you Dry as much as they are meant to keep you Clean, and your gear... if you carry any. A short front fender doesn't do much besides keep the front shock arch cleaner if you have one. OK isn't good enough usually for me, I guess it's a fault of mine. Cheers.

Attachments

• 20190405_170523 (2).jpg
    20190405_170523 (2).jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 224
Back