Full face helmet for ebike 20-30 mph speed

venexiano

I wanna play it safe and wear full face. I ride my ebike in town and I do not ride more than 5-10 miles at the time and I mostly throttle so sweating not a big issue. I want a good one. Money not much of a problem since we talk safety and we spend thousands in bullshits in every day life. I was thinking to exclude Bell Air S because it not certified for DH. I know that refers to Mountain Bikes, but I wanna play it safe. I dont care what people things of me having a mountain bike helmet for ebike. So the options are (all around ~$300):

Bell DH Spheric
Troy Lee Stage
Fox proframe

Then for double the price ($650) there is the new Bell Full-10. I said that money is not a problem when we talk safety but does that really improves safety much to justify more than half the price and higher weight to carry around?

For your consideration, take a look at the Dianese Linea 01 MIPS. It's lightweight yet has many of the certifications you might be looking for. It comes with three sets of fitment pads that allows you to custom fit it to your head. IMO, the quality is outstanding. Also, their shipment and return policy is excellent.

I broke my chin at 25 mph 2017. I did not find vented bike helmets until AFTER the accident. I had looked before, search engines only found me unvented motorcycle helmets. The search term is "downhill racing mountain bike helmet". I've never raced in my life, except on foot where I was badly tromped. I ride a 2018 Fox Rampage helmet, and am quite happy with it. Even in summer I do not sweat excessively. It is not MIPS. It does have metal branch screens over the holes. In winter below 20 F I wrap some of the vents with saran wrap. I have not crashed it.
I bought a second helmet with chin guard this fall for my 2nd bike at my brother's house 1000 miles away. It is a Bell Super 3R mips helmet. It does not really cover my chin. Having coverage to just below my gumline does not satisfy me. My head is not enormous. In fact I am rather small with what women say is a "small chin".
I scanned the listings from VT in post #4 and only one helmet with chin guard was in the top 100, #71. I have spilled off the bike dozens of times never hitting the top, back, sides or front of my head. I have hit the chin on the ground 6 times. Required stitches twice, set jaw once.
Post #2 linea cannot show me bike helmets. Only ski helmets without chin guards. For bikes they show jackets & gloves.

Last edited:
Not full face, so not what the OP is looking for, but a plus one vote for an MIPS helmet. I am on my second now, a Bell Bell 4Forty. Yet to test is protection value but.

Another possible informative website is the Bicycle Helmet Safety Insitute.
There are more options for those who want a much heavier, more protective road helmet. Fox has a new Dropframe Pro MIPS that brings protection down below and around the ears. In 2024 their Speedfram RS will feature a double-layer helmet like the original POC implementation of MIPS. It appears to be thicker than a standard model. At least three new models with removable chinbars meet the ASTM F1952 downhill standard: the Giro Switchblade, Bell Super DH and the Lazer Revolution FF. They are required to meet it with or without the chinbar, so if you don't use the chinbar on them you get a beefy road helmet with certified better coverage in the rear and on the sides and improved impact performance. Without chinbar it is still a pound heavier than a standard road helmet and looks like a "shorty" motorcycle helmet. To meet the impact requirements the foam liner is very hard, so we don't know how well it would perform in lesser impacts that are not tested by the standard. Giro's Tyrant MIPS has sides that swoop low to cover both ears, but again the added coverage is below the test line and the helmet meets only the CPSC standard.

switchblade4.jpg

Post #2 linea cannot show me bike helmets. Only ski helmets without chin guards. For bikes they show jackets & gloves.
That's weird. It opens to the helmet for me. If it doesn't, there is a bike category to click on and then sub-categories that includes helmets among other things.

Virginia ranking is well known not to have Bells and there great brands full face bike helmet. Never understood why. @sanyata , that Dianese seems crazy good! Almost half the weight of Bell DH and Giro Switchblade and it meeds DH standards! Wow! Anyone has it? I was settling for Bell DH spheric but the Dianese Linea 01 MIPS seems crazy good. Do you guys know if it vents well? FInally it has MIPS but not the newer Spheric MIPS, which seems a Giro and Bell thing (they are owned by same company). Is SphericMIPS better than standard MIPS? Why?

The Dianese vents extremely well. Sometimes, in the winter, I wish it vented less so I use a skull cap to keep warm. Summertime where I'm at gets really hot and wearing it doesn't seem any worse than my regular helmet. I'm 85% mountain biking so exerting myself much harder than when riding on my Vado SL. When I was researching full face helmets, I was drawn to the Linea due to the light weight and certifications. I also like that it has a chip in which you can imbed your emergency info. As I said, the quality was great, and fitment was customizable. I have always been impressed with their motorcycle gear and expected no less with their bike stuff. I've bought Dianese products online, shipment was fast and when I've returned items that I wasn't happy with, (fitment not quality), they have always provided a shipping label at no charge. I haven't delved into the latest MIPS stuff so can't offer any help there.

Virginia ranking is well known not to have Bells and there great brands full face bike helmet. Never understood why.
I noticed that which seems odd given Bell is apparently one of the biggest helmet manufacturers.

I wanna play it safe and wear full face. I ride my ebike in town and I do not ride more than 5-10 miles at the time and I mostly throttle so sweating not a big issue. I want a good one. Money not much of a problem since we talk safety and we spend thousands in bullshits in every day life. I was thinking to exclude Bell Air S because it not certified for DH. I know that refers to Mountain Bikes, but I wanna play it safe. I dont care what people things of me having a mountain bike helmet for ebike. So the options are (all around ~$300):

Bell DH Spheric
Troy Lee Stage
Fox proframe

Then for double the price ($650) there is the new Bell Full-10. I said that money is not a problem when we talk safety but does that really improves safety much to justify more than half the price and higher weight to carry around?
Going to be ready for that stretch on Archer Rd at Butler Plaza

I wear a scooter helmet with a flip down face shield. It's not nearly as good as my full-face motorcycle helmet, but it's way better than a typical bicycle helmet. This was $50 on Amazon.

51eaHk+G7rL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Back