Fulfilling a dream

34 hour print and Floyd is done.
eYkIeN.jpg

Yup, Pig Floyd, he's the Great Pig in the Sky.

Little girl and I ran a bunch of errands today. One was dropping off the fryer at the propane shop for them to go over it, fix anything that needs fix and just make sure it's safe to operate. They're going to put the correct fitting on and make a custom hose to attach to my system. Good bunch of guys up there.

We then stopped down at an Amish bakery that we talked to about supplying us with "Fry Pies". A puff pastry treat filled with various fruits. They're amazing when we put them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. We thought we were going to have a problem selling them because for us to sell another businesses product, they have to be labeled with ingredients, manufacturer and weight and we've never seen those labels on them. Turns out they have the labels, they just don't apply them unless they're being sold wholesale. Yay, we can sell fry pies.

We stopped by an Amish farm store to talk about setting up there sometimes. While he was rather stoic in his reply, but I think overall it was positive. He said he had to talk to his partner about it. I had to drop some names so he knows I'm in the community, and my hard sell tactic, offer his employees discounts when we're there.

Went down to the metal shop to drop off a drawing of a drawer I need made. With the fryer, I built a frame similar to the one the griddle is on. I made it so there's space for a large drawer for utensil storage. Also gave them a bunch of cinnamon twists from the Amish bakery. Giving treats like that gets work done faster. :)

We're looking to a start date of November 1st, with a grand opening event on November 10th or 11th. Which is one year since I killed a horse and started this entire thing rolling. We don't plan on shutting down over winter like other trucks do. We'll be out hustling all winter long cause it stays warm in the trailer.

Looking great Brother!! Lots of ”Sweat Equity” going in to your project for sure!

Little girl and I ran a bunch of errands today. One was dropping off the fryer at the propane shop for them to go over it, fix anything that needs fix and just make sure it's safe to operate. They're going to put the correct fitting on and make a custom hose to attach to my system. Good bunch of guys up there.

We then stopped down at an Amish bakery that we talked to about supplying us with "Fry Pies". A puff pastry treat filled with various fruits. They're amazing when we put them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. We thought we were going to have a problem selling them because for us to sell another businesses product, they have to be labeled with ingredients, manufacturer and weight and we've never seen those labels on them. Turns out they have the labels, they just don't apply them unless they're being sold wholesale. Yay, we can sell fry pies.

We stopped by an Amish farm store to talk about setting up there sometimes. While he was rather stoic in his reply, but I think overall it was positive. He said he had to talk to his partner about it. I had to drop some names so he knows I'm in the community, and my hard sell tactic, offer his employees discounts when we're there.

Went down to the metal shop to drop off a drawing of a drawer I need made. With the fryer, I built a frame similar to the one the griddle is on. I made it so there's space for a large drawer for utensil storage. Also gave them a bunch of cinnamon twists from the Amish bakery. Giving treats like that gets work done faster. :)

We're looking to a start date of November 1st, with a grand opening event on November 10th or 11th. Which is one year since I killed a horse and started this entire thing rolling. We don't plan on shutting down over winter like other trucks do. We'll be out hustling all winter long cause it stays warm in the trailer.
persistence pays!

Looking great Brother!! Lots of ”Sweat Equity” going in to your project for sure!
Yeah, I'm over paying in that the past couple of days. I put primer on the new stand for the fryer yesterday, it was so hot out, it set almost immediately. Same thing today with the black paint. I also finally got in the correct digital thermostat for the fridge late this afternoon, and got it wired in. It's running now. Problem is, it only does Celsius, my brain doesn't work that way. I know 0, and -40 everything else, I have no point of reference. Cue the American/Metric jokes.

My original thought for the top of the fryer stand was to use the same polypropylene that I used for the griddle, but it came to me lastnight that's not gonna work. The griddle sits about 4" off the poly. The fryer would be sitting right on top, and I'm betting it would get hot enough to melt through. I drew something up for a stainless pan to have the metal shop guys make for me. A pan instead of just a sheet since there's oil there, it'll catch it instead of leaking everywhere.

One of my multi meters was Celsius only too.
Try this: Celsius reading multiplied by 1.8 then add 32 to that reading.

I also finally got in the correct digital thermostat for the fridge late this afternoon, and got it wired in. It's running now. Problem is, it only does Celsius, my brain doesn't work that way. I know 0, and -40 everything else, I have no point of reference
Simple, label maker with acceptable range. Inside range good, Outside range bad.

New exhaust fans are in. The original ones were drawing between 16 and 17A. These are drawing around 8A when both are running. They don't move as much air, but they move enough to do the job.
qEnRNG.jpg

A friend shipped me a FLIR a while ago when we started working on the fridge. I don't know why but I never actually looked into the fridge before with it, but today I did. I found hot spots on the floor. Fridge was around 50F, still cooling down after being off over night, but there were hotspots 90F and above. The spots are next to the compressor cabinet which is outside. When we rebuilt the cabinet, the compressor tray, holds the compressor and the condenser, is sitting on a piece of mild steel which is the base of the cabinet. Heat is being transferred from the tray to the plate, which is transferred into the frame that goes under the fridge. My friend and I decided it would be best to thermally isolate the compressor tray from the rest of the trailer. I'll be 3D printing standoffs to do that. That will allow airflow under the tray and hopefully keep it from heating up everything else.

Added 5% tint film to the skylight today to cut down on the heat inside the trailer. Never applied that stuff before but it was pretty easy. I have my custom built fryer frame in and bolted down. I should be getting the fryer back tomorrow. Dropped off a drawing at the metal shop for a stainless tray to be made for the fryer to sit on.

Last edited:
3D printer just got done with this. Still needs a little more cleaning up of the supports, but it turned out well.
XPJxDW.jpg

Anyone recognize it?

Fryer is back from the shop and it works perfectly. He did recommend having the thermocouple replaced but it's functional for now. He didn't have any in stock and wouldn't have it for a couple of weeks. Every one of these appliances has a different method of lighting, we're going to make a "Start Up/Shutdown" booklet with all the instructions on starting up and shutting down everything.

The metal shop is making the stainless tray the fryer will sit on, don't know when they'll have it done. They work on my stuff when it gets slow
j4emhe.jpg

You can see the burners inside. I just have it filled with water right now because you don't want to run it empty. Within a few minutes it had the water at 160F.
RgrYoW.jpg

Fryer is back from the shop and it works perfectly. He did recommend having the thermocouple replaced but it's functional for now.

I have a natural gas wall furnace to heat my small house.
It uses a thermopile, which is just a "pile" of thermocouples stacked together to generate more voltage to operate the thermostat.

My wall furnace has since been banned because it isn't efficient enough (it draws 85,000 BTU, but only puts out 65,000 BTU. The rest goes up the chimney. 😂)

BUT,.. my furnace doesn't need electricity to operate.
I've got heat when the power goes out where 99% of other homeowners don't have heat until the power is restored.

20230913_150417.jpg
20230913_150444.jpg

This is my thermostat, complete with a mercury switch,..
That's enough mercury to poison a small lake.

20230913_152337.jpg

A digital thermostat doesn't work.
It draws too much current and the voltage drops to zero.
And it uses batteries or house current.
My furnace has been running since 1942 with no external power.

The thermopile only puts out ~0.7 volts, with VERY Little current behind it.
I had to replace the wiring with thicker wire because the wire had too much resistance and the voltage/power was lost.
Even static electricity is enough to drain the voltage in the winter when the wiring is dusty.

Last edited:
Be wary of buying wire when dealing with such small voltages or large currents. Much of the wire out there today is CCA, Copper Cladded Aluminum. Over long distances there's a significant voltage drop and with large currents, there's a significant increase in heat, which leads to increase in resistance which leads to more current draw, which leads to more heat.

Much of the wire out there today is CCA, Copper Cladded Aluminum.

I used High Performance 12 gauge Speaker Wire to connect my thermostat to my furnace.
It's 100% copper from before the days of copper clad crap. 😂
(although I don't think it's oxygen free copper?)

20230913_161210.jpg

I was having problems with my furnace kicking in.
I'd wake up in the morning and my house was cold.
I'd Kick the furnace, and that was enough to open the gas valve and give me heat.

I realized that I had my house temperature set too low (58°F) and the valve got cold and sticky.

I turned up the heat to keep the valve warmer and everything has been working fine for 2 years now.

I've got a new thermopile just in case, but all I have to do is Boot the furnace if I wake up to a cold house. 😂

I was considering taking apart the valve to clean it or lube it, but a good swift kick does the job if it won't start. 😂

My dad used to say "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

I'd say, "Don't Worry. I'm Sure I'll Break Something While I'm Trying To Fix It."
😂

Ahh, high performance speaker wire, the choice of audiophiles everywhere. I got into an argument with one many years ago when he said he could tell the difference between something sampled at 44khz and 44.1khz. After Monster cable came out some magazine did a test with a some self proclaimed audiophiles to see if they could tell the difference between Monster cable and a coat hanger. They couldn't. I bet it works well for thermostats though. Nice and bendy.

Back