FS Watt Wagons

This one. https://hayesbicycle.com/products/protaper-mtb-stem?variant=32139525914669

May be yellow and black color variant for some builds depending on availability.
Color doesn’t matter. Pretty cool your using 35mm clamp diameter vs the standard 31.8mm. I was considering changing handlebars and stem but now I’ll stick with what comes on the bike. I noticed on all the pics I‘ve seen of the bike you use a lot of spacers. I’d prefer mine slammed, ie no spacers. Is this something you can do?

Last edited:
Color doesn’t matter. Pretty cool your using 35mm clamp diameter vs the standard 31.8mm. I was considering changing handlebars and stem but now I’ll stick with what comes on the bike. I noticed on all the pics I‘ve seen of the bike you use a lot of spacers. I’d prefer mine slammed, ie no spacers. Is this something you can do?
I'm sure they can cut off the stem for you. Pushkar has stated somewhere they leave them long and let the end user decide. Pipe cutter will trim that excess off pretty cleanly. Personally I think I might like the taller stem. Gettin old. Nuther few years and I'll be thinking about swept back elevated bars. 😶 😪

I'm sure they can cut off the stem for you. Pushkar has stated somewhere they leave them long and let the end user decide. Pipe cutter will trim that excess off pretty cleanly. Personally I think I might like the taller stem. Gettin old. Nuther few years and I'll be thinking about swept back elevated bars. 😶 😪
Cool, although I’ll have them use one 5mm spacer so I can use my Garmin GPS Mount

If you're riding in a lot of mud, snow or sand they make a difference. I also think a lot of people choose them simply for the looks.
Bruce, I hear what you are saying. As a counterpoint, I live in Minnesota, land of 14K+ lakes and serious winters. We continuously use our bikes in the winter to hunt, fish and travel over frozen lakes and snow. The 4.8 tires are a godsend for that. I've seen the 27.5x3 tires constantly sink and get bogged down. Here we need them for their ability to float over snow and deep mud.

Bruce, I hear what you are saying. As a counterpoint, I live in Minnesota, land of 14K+ lakes and serious winters. We continuously use our bikes in the winter to hunt, fish and travel over frozen lakes and snow. The 4.8 tires are a godsend for that. I've seen the 27.5x3 tires constantly sink and get bogged down. Here we need them for their ability to float over snow and deep mud.
That’s why on my one RSD Mayor I have two sets of wheel. A Fat set and a Plus (27.5). Kinda regret I didn’t do that with the Hydra but I’m not changing my order at this point in the game.

I do have one suspected problem though. Throttle on left and for the thumb. Having only half a left thumb concerns me. Maybe put the throttle on the right but know that will be problematical as well.

View attachment 72865
Similar age and problem. I ended up installing a Bafang (Higo plugged), 1/4 twist throttle.
Cut off higo and soldered the connector for my MXUS 100nm rear hub -- and I love it.
This motor needs an automatic transmission http://www.ebikeportal.com/nuvinci-n380-automatic-transmission-a-revolution-for-ebikes.
Another 1/2 lb and seamless power.
Does using 'pedals only' fit the ideal of an 'all-out Ultimate Commuter' bike?
I commute my throttle/ torque sensor, cassette combo, averaging 10miles @ 25 - 31mph, most days. Traffic. Stop, go, get around busses and sync the lights.
No twist throttle, no way.

Fn'F

Why would the thumb throttle on the right be a problem?
Also, you could change to a half twist on the right, Familiar motorcycle type :)
They are not very common and one problem is the crappy plastic grips you cannot change out.
I found 1/2 twist annoying and 1/4 twist works much better.
A common problem is twist shifters - also my preference - are also all on the right. No way around it except mounting upside down.
So I found a left side twist throttle. But it is nice having to let go of the throttle when shifting with shifter and throttle on the right side, so it remains.
Twist throttles are great.

Back