Frozen battery?

cldlhd

So I ordered an espin sport for my son for Christmas and according to FedEx it's going to be delivered today. My question is I live in a suburbs of Philly and this morning when I left for work it was 24° outside. I don't know the exact route the truck took from LA to here but assuming the bike and battery are in the back of the trucks where it gets down to well below freezing is there a concern with the battery? I would imagine the only way to really know if it's damaged at all would be to charge it all the way and then take it for a long ride and see how the range is? It's a bit chilly out here this time of year for a 40-mi ride though but does anybody have any thoughts?

Warm it up completely before charging.
It is well known that charging a frozen LiIon battery damages it. I've seen opinions on here that freezing & thawing doesn't hurt them. Evidence, bike companies sell bikes over the internet in January.

Warm it up completely before charging.
It is well known that charging a frozen LiIon battery damages it. I've seen opinions on here that freezing & thawing doesn't hurt them. Evidence, bike companies sell bikes over the internet in January.
That's what I was thinking, I mean I'm not a battery expert but I know they sell them And ship them over winter months. I had just heard that you shouldn't let it freeze.. I have a little firsthand experience when I first bought battery powered loan equipment one year I left one of the batteries in my shed and the next year it was a bit expanded and shot. I brought my bikes battery inside for the winter. Thanks for the info

Storing a L-Ion battery for short periods of time in freezing temps should not cause damage. Do not charge it though until it reaches room temperature. Long term storage should be between 40 and 80 degrees.

Riding in cold temps is not a good way of testing battery capacity since it can drop 25 to 40%. Wait for warmer weather and if there is a problem, the bike warranty should cover it.

Storing a L-Ion battery for short periods of time in freezing temps should not cause damage. Do not charge it though until it reaches room temperature. Long term storage should be between 40 and 80 degrees.

Riding in cold temps is not a good way of testing battery capacity since it can drop 25 to 40%. Wait for warmer weather and if there is a problem, the bike warranty should cover it.
thanks. I can't wait for the warmer weather so my son and I can take some nice long rides up the Delaware canal. He just turned 14 so I'm hoping he's still interested in riding with me, if not further up the trail I know there is an ice cream shop in this town called Yardley, PA. I could always bait him with that I guess.....

thanks. I can't wait for the warmer weather so my son and I can take some nice long rides up the Delaware canal. He just turned 14 so I'm hoping he's still interested in riding with me, if not further up the trail I know there is an ice cream shop in this town called Yardley, PA. I could always bait him with that I guess.....
By all means, ride on! Just don't expect to get the max range per charge in cold weather.

BTW, I frequently ride the D&L Canal Trail on the PA side of the Delaware as well as the D&R trail on the NJ side. There are two ice cream joints I visit when in Yardley. Scoops, which is closed for the season and the Yardley Ice House which could be open but I'm not sure. If all else fails, there's always Starbucks.

By all means, ride on! Just don't expect to get the max range per charge in cold weather.

BTW, I frequently ride the D&L Canal Trail on the PA side of the Delaware as well as the D&R trail on the NJ side. There are two ice cream joints I visit when in Yardley. Scoops, which is closed for the season and the Yardley Ice House which could be open but I'm not sure. If all else fails, there's always Starbucks.
Hey small world! I actually looked at a house a couple blocks over from main Street about a month ago. Been in my house forever it's pretty much finished when it comes to remodeling and almost paid for so not necessarily looking to move but I love that location.
The house in Yardley needed some work though. I was thinking about the ice house. The last longer ride I took on the canal I went all the way up to New Hope. Beautiful ride it was like 70° and sunny. Cheers

I'm not battery expert either . But I do construction year round . These New lithium Ion batteries in portable tools last way way longer then batteries in the same tools from 15/20 years ago.

What @6zfshdb said.

Here's a (pretty basic) chart for lithium battery performance at different temps...

Temperature-effect-on-battery-life.png

Basically using in lower temps make it less efficient which means range.

Higher temps are a bigger culprit on degradation.

In colder temps, even an inexpensive home-made battery wrap can have a pretty significant impact on range. I made 2 neoprene/aerogel wraps (for two bikes) for about $40 CAD, and they bumped my zero Celsius range on a Bafang rear hub bike from about 55% of summer range up to 80+%.

In real world terms that mean going from ~35km/charge to ~50km, or enough to get rid of my range anxiety on my typical 30ish km winter ride. :)

Hi, new to forum. Just bought an ebike and can't believe I have been missing out on these awesome bikes. I laugh each time I ride it because it has changed everything I do with bikes now. A friend was delivering Christmas cards on her ebike and I became very interested in the bikes. I quit riding on the asphalt roads years ago and have been only on gravel roads single track trails (easy access from where I live). I have Mtn. biked with my son who is 31 for years but recently quit because I slowed down. Now! I am 66 going on 36 and ride the ebike on back roads and trails with ease. The PAS torque sensing bikes are unbelievable to me. What a changer!!!!! Wanted to mention that I have lithium batteries that I use in an RV I built. They have self protection that does not allow them to charge below freezing weather, however, you can draw them down below freezing which will not hurt them. I won't charge my bike batteries if they are below freezing but ride and discharge below freezing. Based on research and experience with the RV, I would recommend bringing bike batteries inside if below freezing, warm them up, charge, and then ride all you want regardless low outside temperature.

Hi, new to forum. Just bought an ebike and can't believe I have been missing out on these awesome bikes. I laugh each time I ride it because it has changed everything I do with bikes now. A friend was delivering Christmas cards on her ebike and I became very interested in the bikes. I quit riding on the asphalt roads years ago and have been only on gravel roads single track trails (easy access from where I live). I have Mtn. biked with my son who is 31 for years but recently quit because I slowed down. Now! I am 66 going on 36 and ride the ebike on back roads and trails with ease. The PAS torque sensing bikes are unbelievable to me. What a changer!!!!! Wanted to mention that I have lithium batteries that I use in an RV I built. They have self protection that does not allow them to charge below freezing weather, however, you can draw them down below freezing which will not hurt them. I won't charge my bike batteries if they are below freezing but ride and discharge below freezing. Based on research and experience with the RV, I would recommend bringing bike batteries inside if below freezing, warm them up, charge, and then ride all you want regardless low outside temperature.
It is great isn't it? I just got my first e-bike at the end of the summer. I'm 51 and was never really an avid bicyclist but now I'm out on it far more often, although not lately because of the winter weather, but it's one reason I can't wait for spring to come. As for those who argue against it regarding exercise I think for most people like me you get more exercise because of it simply because it is much more fun to ride and you can go much further. Knowing that I can ride 25 mi away from home with PAS relatively low and then if I'm a little tired I can turn it up a bit for the ride home opens up entirely new areas for me to ride to.

It is great isn't it? I just got my first e-bike at the end of the summer. I'm 51 and was never really an avid bicyclist but now I'm out on it far more often, although not lately because of the winter weather, but it's one reason I can't wait for spring to come. As for those who argue against it regarding exercise I think for most people like me you get more exercise because of it simply because it is much more fun to ride and you can go much further. Knowing that I can ride 25 mi away from home with PAS relatively low and then if I'm a little tired I can turn it up a bit for the ride home opens up entirely new areas for me to ride to.
Keep them legs pumping and remember on the 'leg and lung burners" go up a number on the PA, if its too hard on the highest level-push! you are still getting exercise. Most of us are not competing for the triathlon( if you are more power to you and lower the PA!)

To throw a🔧 in the whole thing I ride my E threw out the winter in New England. Yes it does effect the range some when it's really cold but it increase again when it's warmer. Long story short storing at optimal temperature and charging at a moderate temp is key.

Back