Front-Wheel Hub Kit?

xerxez

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a kit or where to buy a motor?

I'd like to install a front wheel hub on an existing bike.

I'd like to use either a (1) Dapu or (2) Das-Kit motor.

When I have looked at those websites, I don't see where I can order a motor. Do they only do wholesale?

I ordered a DD front wheel hub motor from Amazon. It worked. It was labled "48 v LY 1000" so I presume Ly is the manufacturer.
Personally I am suspicious of sending my debit card # to reside on a server outside the US. Hacking is bad enough when the FBI has jurisdiction. If I have to buy something from ***** I'll use a throwaway one time use credit card. Golden Pie & Leaf are two long time vendors who have dropped their Amazon listing since 2017 and sell from *****. If you use alibaba, it is reported you have to give them your birthdate to make it easier for hackers to forge loan applications. Of course if you're on facebook or twitter, you gave that info away already.

Das-kit looks like geared motors. Dapu has both geared/direct, but looks like an OEM seller.

What kind of bike? How fast will you ride? Front motors have a reputation for breaking alloy forks and suspension forks. Do you plan to use throttle or ride with pedal assist?

I have been riding with a front hub kit for three years, and love it. The motor is 8fun (Bafang) and the company is in Utah. For a front mounted motor it’s a good idea to also install a torque arm in case the axle nuts loosen up. Based upon my experience with Leed, and the kit, I recommend them.
https://www.leedsbikes.com/

Attachments

• 4B9D3430-1128-4EF4-AA1F-4C52B6087F5E.jpeg
    4B9D3430-1128-4EF4-AA1F-4C52B6087F5E.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 401
I'm ok with a geared motor. Direct is ok, but geared is probably better. Overall, my preference for this bike is to not use a Chinese motor (even though I think Bafang motors can be ok motors).

I looked at Leedsbikes (Thanks for sharing the link). They do use Bafang, so I'll pass on that for now.

My bike is a Mountain Bike. The rim is 25'' and the tire is 29''. It has hydraulic brakes.

Hate to break it to you but chances are the other front hub motors are Chinese in origin also. Very few hub motors aremade anywhere else, the GoSwiss hub motor that was used on the earlier Specialized Turbo has gone out of business and the eBikemotion popular on road bikes are rear drive and I would suspect Chinese in manufacture also.

I too use front hub motors on my eAnyRoad bikes and wouldn't change to mid drive if I was paid to. However on my eMTB I use a mid drive because it is better suited to that endeavour. At some point I may build up a 350w geared motor to try on an MTB for the two wheel drive aspect that I find useful when off roading on my other bikes but in no hurry to do so.

I only know of two main non-chinese bike motors: (1) Das-Kit and (2) Dapu.

Thanks for all the posts so far. Some great information here, even if I didn't find exactly what I wanted.... yet.

Das-Kit:

BB-Leisger International GmbH is an electric bicycle company based in Hanover Germany. BB-Leisger has its own
manufacturing base located in Suzhou China.With over 15 years' experience focusing on R&D of ebikes, BB-LEISGER
successfully developed its own E-system technology under the Das-kit brand.

I concede that Dapu is made in Japan.....

it’s a good idea to also install a torque arm in case the axle nuts loosen up.
MUST DO!!! Don't ever be foolish enough to install ANY hub without torque arm or arms!
Hate to break it to you but chances are the other front hub motors are Chinese in origin also.
THIS is absolutely correct! ! What a silly post. There are high end nearly bullet proof China made motors.
I only know of two main non-chinese bike motors: (1) Das-Kit and (2) Dapu.
UM....THEIR FACTORIES ARE IN CHINA and Japan. I wonder how much Dapu sources from China.😂😂

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a kit or where to buy a motor?

I'd like to install a front wheel hub on an existing bike.

I'd like to use either a (1) Dapu or (2) Das-Kit motor.

When I have looked at those websites, I don't see where I can order a motor. Do they only do wholesale?
eBikes.ca eZee or Bafang. Their models(Grin) are supported and manufacturing monitored by a genius eBike kit fanatic.
It's not WHERE they are made it's how the process is managed and engineered.
MAC is another great choice.
But for plug and play and support ebikes.ca

Reactions: JRA
I installed a Bafang front hub geared motor on my Tern Si8 from ebikes.ca and so far I am very pleased with the reliability and performance. Look at my postings...Electrified Tern Si8 and see if there is information there that would be of use to you.

I installed a Bafang front hub geared motor on my Tern Si8 from ebikes.ca and so far I am very pleased with the reliability and performance. Look at my postings...Electrified Tern Si8 and see if there is information there that would be of use to you.
Outstanding choice of sources!

Back