Front suspension forks

bkreidler

Yesterday at 9:27 AM

I have traded my recumbent for a Izip E3 path +. It was a demo, 2016; but I am pleased with this bike and love to ride again.
Bike is rigid diamondback frame, so I feel every bump. I mostly ride rail to trails( paved bike paths) in our area, which are pretty smooth.
Any one ever put a suspension front fork on an electric bike??

While you could put a suspension fork on the bike. the less expensive ones aren't all that plush. Also, if you have a very upright riding position, a suspension fork won't help that much either. You are likely better served by installing a good suspension seatpost like the cirrus Bodyfloat.

Most of the front suspensions which come on the most cheaper ebikes are adequate but not great. These are your standard Suntour, Mozo, Top Gun etc. If you really want a really good front suspension you're going to have to pay some money for RockShox or Fox etc.

I replaced my Mozo for a rigid fork on my fat bike and what I gave up in compliance, I gained in added control especially downhill braking. It also looks cooler !

I put a Luna cycle suspension fork on my ebike uses oil and air so it is adjustable have to buy special pump to put air in forks slightly raised front of bike

I just recently put a suspension fork on my Radwagon. Its no different than putting it on a regular bike. I'm happy with the improved ride. I tried lowering the tire pressure before the change but that only helped so much and eventually cornering suffered.

I put a suspension fork on two street ebikes. Makes a world of difference. One is a Suntour and the other is a Fox 32. Both are fine. No need to spend big bucks unless you are jumping mountain ebikes. I ride street and trails, fire roads. Suspension forks are better everywhere. I also put BodyFloats on the seat posts, FS is the only way to fly.
What does FS mean?

Sorry. FS means full suspension, from the mountain biking world. Suspension forks + BodyFloat gives you full suspension for a street bike. On a mountain bike FS would use a rear shock.
A body float gives you some bounce, but far from full suspension. Full suspension gives you adjustment for stiffness and rebound.

A body float gives you some bounce, but far from full suspension. Full suspension gives you adjustment for stiffness and rebound.

On some occasions, the body float can bounce esp on the big dips, but you can actively stop it with your legs sharing your weight at the pedals after the first rebound. On the other hand, it has superior high frequency compliance such as gravel road, road cracks, or coarse pavement since it doesn't have the compression resistance of a shock absorber.

Last edited:
Exactly. That’s why I said for a street bike. My definition of FS for a street bicycle is a BodyFloat on the seat post and suspension forks in front. I have a different definition for MTBs, which aligns more closely with your concept. Either way I define FS as front and rear, not by the level of adjustments on a given shock.
I must be doing something wrong. I ride a full suspension bike all the time on the street. Far superior to my trekking bike with body float for ride quality.

Fatbike street tires and a suspension seat is I all I need on most pavement. I don't miss the cheapo Mozo fork I swapped for a rigid.

Back