Front suspension forks?

fxr3

i would like to try suspension forks on my st1 step thru. It's got a thud buster under me, but would like front too. Strom sells the suntour, but would rather have rock shox or fox. Although I don't know why, guess cause so many internetters bad mouth suntour. After 4000 miles with not a problem, prolly should trust stromers choice of forks. I tried to figure it out before, and I think stromer has an odd diameter front axle. I just street ride but a bit of front suspension would be nice. Anybody have front suspension?

i would like to try suspension forks on my st1 step thru. It's got a thud buster under me, but would like front too. Strom sells the suntour, but would rather have rock shox or fox. Although I don't know why, guess cause so many internetters bad mouth suntour. After 4000 miles with not a problem, prolly should trust stromers choice of forks. I tried to figure it out before, and I think stromer has an odd diameter front axle. I just street ride but a bit of front suspension would be nice. Anybody have front suspension?
I have a stromer Sport bike with Suspension forks......Wouldn't be with out them.....bumps are bumps but these tend to help a lot to smooth them out.

The rigid fork is carbon fibre and flexes quite a bit (by design) and does a pretty decent job of soaking up some energy.
Suntours are cheaper and less effective than more expensive Rock Shox or Fox suspensions. Just that simple.
That said, road useage is EASY on a fork compared to offroad. It's the quick repetition of bumps that shows a good fork versus cheap and that doesn't happen on the road much. 1 bump and recover is easy peasy.
What air pressure are you running in those balloon tires?
If at max, dropping 20psi is like adding a cheap suspension. (seriously)
I couldn't believe how much difference it made until I felt it myself.

Whatever you buy make sure they have the lockout feature for when you don't need the shock absorbing function and some loss of energy like on hard flat surfaces. My bike has cheap Suntour front shocks but they are a huge improvement compared to my wife's bike with a solid front fork, and I adjust the suspension a lot depending upon the terrain. Front and seat post suspension make for a perfect ride.

Whatever you buy make sure they have the lockout feature for when you don't need the shock absorbing function and some loss of energy like on hard flat surfaces. My bike has cheap Suntour front shocks but they are a huge improvement compared to my wife's bike with a solid front fork, and I adjust the suspension a lot depending upon the terrain. Front and seat post suspension make for a perfect ride.
I bought a set of Stromer branded suntour forks. I like them better than my carbon forks.
They have held their air pressure for weeks now, the sag has remained the same, and although they likely don't rebound as crisp as fox or rock shocks, they don't feel mushy- I am very satisfied with them. As I am with BOTH my sti step-thrus. I vary my tire pressure, but agree low tire pressure- better ride(but more pedaling effort. Thud buster and these forks- higher tire pressure makes things just about perfect.

I bought a set of Stromer branded suntour forks. I like them better than my carbon forks.
They have held their air pressure for weeks now, the sag has remained the same, and although they likely don't rebound as crisp as fox or rock shocks, they don't feel mushy- I am very satisfied with them. As I am with BOTH my sti step-thrus. I vary my tire pressure, but agree low tire pressure- better ride(but more pedaling effort. Thud buster and these forks- higher tire pressure makes things just about perfect.

I think for road use a Suntour is pretty equal to the better (for off road) forks.
From many years of riding unassisted and playing with tire pressures a lot, I'd wager the increased pedaling effort to be a lot less effect than most think. It feels like it, but the speedo doesn't agree with the tires I use. Especially the balloon tires now. Big Apples and Bens are pretty dang amazing, to cushion like they do and be as fast as they are.
With peddle assist why would very slight tire drag be a concern anyway? it's tiny in amount of energy used relative to battery.
And way less than you lose bobbing on the fork, even locked out. ;)
If I had bought new I would likely have chosen the suspension, I have motorcycles and it does make sense.
That said, I am THRILLED with the amazingly compliant ride of my ST1 with that carbon fiber fork flexing and dropping the psi to 40 and wouldn't change it for a suspension fork now for free, especially knowing it's faster. :)

Last edited:
Back