Front hydraulic brake sounds like freewheel when braking

Pokerdogg

We have an Aventon Pace 500 with Tektro HD-E350 brakes. We have close to 1100 km on the bike. The bike started to develop a noise that sounds just like the freewheel when you coast without peddling, but a bit louder, when I use the front brake after it past the 1000 km mark. I thought the brake pad may be worn, so ordered some replacement pads. When I took the old pads off, it looks like it has plenty of pads left, really not much thinner than the replacement pads. I cleaned the pads and the rotor, and put everything back together with the original pads. The noise is still the same.

What may be the problem? I checked the front axel, the bolts on the brake caliper, etc., everything looks to be snug and tight. Any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks,

I have two Pace 500’s with low mileage, and both have noisy front and rear brakes. On one of the bikes the brake squeal
is very loud. Same as you I cleaned pads and rotor, bedded in the pads again, realigned the caliper…..same noise. Then I ordered organic replacement pads to see if that made any difference. It did not. am going to take both bikes back to bike shop where we purchased them from but it is 2.5 hour drive away. so am waiting until we put a few more miles on the bikes first. Other than noisy brakes the bikes have performed well.

regards,

KWR

Yeah, we brought ours at a LBS, but we have moved and it is now 1.5 hours away. May still call them and see what they say, but a bit of a pain to bring it in. The brakes were fine for the first 1000 km, stops well and quiet, now it makes this funny noise, but still stops strong.

I have two Pace 500’s with low mileage, and both have noisy front and rear brakes. On one of the bikes the brake squeal
is very loud. Same as you I cleaned pads and rotor, bedded in the pads again, realigned the caliper…..same noise. Then I ordered organic replacement pads to see if that made any difference. It did not. am going to take both bikes back to bike shop where we purchased them from but it is 2.5 hour drive away. so am waiting until we put a few more miles on the bikes first. Other than noisy brakes the bikes have performed well.

regards,

KWR
Hi,sorry to go off topic a bit here,can any off you advise me on a replacement of my tektro HD-350 left brake,i need the whole thing replacing & for the life of me have no idea what make of replacement to get,if it is at all possible to get a cheaper brand than the tektro HD-350 model,total amateur to bike parts,any help i would appreciate if anyone has gone about using an alternative brand thanks

Shimano MT200 for reliable entry level brake for next stepup Deore M6100 or SLX M7100 . If rear brake you will need to replace hose, which means running it through frame. If mid drive most likely involve removing cranks and motor cover. Will need bleed kit and small bootle of fluid. Ali express have good deals.

Shimano MT200 for reliable entry level brake for next stepup Deore M6100 or SLX M7100 . If rear brake you will need to replace hose, which means running it through frame. If mid drive most likely involve removing cranks and motor cover. Will need bleed kit and small bootle of fluid. Ali express have good deals.
Cheers thanks for that information helps me immense,much cheaper too thank you once again 👍

MT200 use same pads as Tektro so you should be able to reuse rotors. If upgrading to Deores or SLX may need new rotors if they have a bit wear as wear points are different. I'd pick SLX as it is tool free reach adjustment. New rotors is chance to ugrade size with 180mm being good touring, commuter size for SLX. There is option of 4pot but they are more for MTBing.

If you riding is mainly flats and gentle hills MT200 are fine. SLX for steep hills and more aggressive riding.

Last edited:
Back