Front disc brake rubbing

LeftyS7

As I ride and makes a bell-like scraping sound. Does the same when put upside down and the front tire is spun. Any known cure? I'd take it back to my LBS but he's closed for the duration.

Loosen the caliper, pull the lever so the caliper clamps the disc, retighten the caliper. This should center the caliper over the disc. Look where the disc moves back and forth between the brake pads, adjust the caliper as necessary.

The pads should be clear of the rotor by the thickness of a business card or slightly less. I guess you are talking about hydraulic brakes? How many miles? On hydraulics, the piston can hang a bit with a lot of miles on them. Does the sound lessen or increase with the pull of the lever? If the rotor is bent you will get an intermittent sound as the high spots hit the pads. A steady sound is an adjustment issue.

The pads should be clear of the rotor by the thickness of a business card or slightly less. I guess you are talking about hydraulic brakes? How many miles? On hydraulics, the piston can hang a bit with a lot of miles on them. Does the sound lessen or increase with the pull of the lever? If the rotor is bent you will get an intermittent sound as the high spots hit the pads. A steady sound is an adjustment issue.

As mentioned in an earlier post, it's probably a bent rotor. Spin the wheel and watch the rotor. Does it move from side to side slightly? If it does buy and use the tool mentioned above, or get a replacement rotor from where you purchased the ebike.
Here's a link to a video on how to straighten a bent rotor:

To add to my previous post, if it's a bent rotor you're probably never going to get it prefectly straight with that straigthening tool. It it was my bike I'd get a new rotor and be done with it.

My brand new Fathom E+ 3 has same sound from front disc. First aware on ride home from dealer when cycle hard or hit speed. Calliper clearance ok and no visible sign of rotor misshaped. Going to run for another week and see if brakes just need bedding in before take back to dealer. Just wondered if anyone experienced that on a new bike?

Make sure the wheel is tight. I discovered that that was my problem. Thanks, LBS for the excellent prep.

My brand new Fathom E+ 3 has same sound from front disc. First aware on ride home from dealer when cycle hard or hit speed. Calliper clearance ok and no visible sign of rotor misshaped. Going to run for another week and see if brakes just need bedding in before take back to dealer. Just wondered if anyone experienced that on a new bike?

Mine does the same since it was new, only from the front disk and when I tilt into a left curve. Also does a buzzing sound when braking. The disk on the rear wheel is quiet.

Last edited:
Supplier replaced from disc, that seems to have sorted it.

Back