From SoCal and looking for a "value" ebike (that's full size and maybe folds)...

Yep. The Espin Sport is compelling as I don’t know how long that $1199 will hold.
They are located in NorCal so at worse, I have a long drive to get in-person support. :)

I don't think you can go wrong at this price point... Court had some more positive things to say in the EBR comments section.

BTW, where is Espin located in Northern California?

I am considering the purchase of two Espin Flow bikes. I have been choosing between Rad, Aventon, and Espin. Espin currently has a sale in progress that takes the price from $1799 to $1199. Are there any big negatives with this bike you can share? I have owned bikes for years, but never an e-bike, and for some reason, I am uncharacteristically nervous about this purchase. My wife and I are both 5’7″ tall. Will we have any issues with the bike’s size? Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Tommy

Reply COURT 2 months ago

Hi Tommy! I am most familiar with Rad and Aventon. Espin seems to offer good value and the bike looks solid with the integrated battery and standard hub motor from Bafang/8Fun. If you really need to save some money, I feel that it could be a great bike because it’s outfitted with everything you need! Most ebikes that are priced like this only come in one frame size, and it’s the “medium” size that will fit most people. With your height of roughly 5’7″, I think you’ll be fine. The bike might not hold its value as well as a Rad Power Bikes model, and I’m not quite as familiar with their customer support, but that’s a sweet price point for something with fenders, a rear rack, and lights. The saddle looks good, I’ve used that display before, and the throttle is nice to have as well. I hope this reduces some of your anxiety… If it were me, I’d probably go with the Espin or Rad because I’ve heard that Aventons can be difficult to build and that can be a hassle if you don’t have all of the tools easily available :)

Last edited:
Hmm... leaning towards Espin. They were very responsive to my email inquiries... but I guess many would be pre-sale... it's post-sale I should be concerned about. :)

Hmm... leaning towards Espin. They were very responsive to my email inquiries... but I guess many would be pre-sale... it's post-sale I should be concerned about. :)

Go for it... every day is another day you could be riding! ;)

1593473135000.png

Okay. I think I have it down to these:

Espin Sport $1199 (sale org $1799) 500w, front shock, hydraulic brakes, cargo rack, lights and fenders
Ride1Up 500 $1195 500w, front shock
Sondors Smart Step $1096 ($999+$97ship), 350w, front shock, folds
Aventon Pace 350 $1099 (sold out), 350w, at LBS
Edit: Eunorau UHVO $1199, 350w, full susp, hydraulic brakes, lights

Are there any others in that same price range?

Last edited:
What happened to the sages?

I think the Espin Sport is at the top of my list but I just want to make sure I've looked at all the options. Are the ones I listed the best ones? It seems like if I keep looking, others pop up.

What happened to the sages?

I think the Espin Sport is at the top of my list but I just want to make sure I've looked at all the options. Are the ones I listed the best ones? It seems like if I keep looking, others pop up.
Indeed if you keep looking, other, maybe better deals will always appear... but while you are looking, you are not riding...

Okay. I think I have it down to these:

Espin Sport $1199 (sale org $1799) 500w, front shock, hydraulic brakes, cargo rack, lights and fenders
Ride1Up 500 $1195 500w, front shock
Sondors Smart Step $1096 ($999+$97ship), 350w, front shock, folds
Aventon Pace 350 $1099 (sold out), 350w, at LBS
Edit: Eunorau UHVO $1199, 350w, full susp, hydraulic brakes, lights

Are there any others in that same price range?

I read the EBR reviews on your shortlist and all are decent bikes... I would probably select the Espin due to the better specs.

I would also take a look at Crazy Lennys Bikes... they have a great deal on a BH mid-drive for $788 (was $3,400). ;)

1593709503771.png

Last edited:
I looked at Crazy Lenny. The eFlow Flight looks pretty good but I can't find any manufacturer information on them. Looks like it was Currie owned by Accel and so it's now iZip? But none of those entities have information on the Flight. The last review here was 2013 and it looks like a slightly different frame.

Does anyone have more information about the eFlow Flight? What year model is the one Crazy Lenny because I can't find any reviews of that particular frame style.

The BH Gravel mid-drive *was* a really good deal, except I think it was a typo because the current banner shows it at $1284 instead of $788. Still a good deal but I guess I'm looking for a hub drive bike for the throttle aspect.

The BH Gravel mid-drive *was* a really good deal, except I think it was a typo because the current banner shows it at $1284 instead of $788.

Still a good deal but I guess I'm looking for a hub drive bike for the throttle aspect.

I would call CL and ask if they will honor the original $788 advertised price... send them the screenshot and they will negotiate.

It's an awesome deal for a mid-drive. ;)

Last edited:
I looked at Crazy Lenny. The eFlow Flight looks pretty good but I can't find any manufacturer information on them. Looks like it was Currie owned by Accel and so it's now iZip? But none of those entities have information on the Flight. The last review here was 2013 and it looks like a slightly different frame.

Does anyone have more information about the eFlow Flight? What year model is the one Crazy Lenny because I can't find any reviews of that particular frame style.

Regarding the eFlow Flight... it appears to be the same frame design as the Flow E3 Nitro.

Also found a review of the eFlow Flight in a standard frame.

Last edited:
That’s the same review I read. Does that mean the bikes at Crazy Lenny’s are several years old? Seems like a newer design.

Back