Friends Don't Let Friends Ride E-Bikes

I'm 63 y.o., have always and continue to ride a lot. By a lot, I mean I average some 250 to 280 miles per week, or ~1100 mi/mo. That riding is my daily exercise routine. I'm looking forward to riding my Daymak EC1 when my replacement arrives (more on that and a review of the bike on that thread) on some of the dirt trails around me that my road bike just won't do. So, for me, the EC1 is going to be pure afternoon cruising entertainment in the forest and river trails I have only walked. Let a poo poo'er of ebike riders say something about my laziness, and maybe they will accept my challenge to meet me the next morning on my non-ebike so that we can review the earlier comment.

P.S. Since the EC1 is convertible to a non-ebike (remove battery and exchange motorized wheel to the included motor-less wheel), I'll probably have a go at the trails on that too.

Long time cyclist that used to poo poo E assist as for "old" people only. There is that, but for many of us that still ride unassisted bikes, it's going faster (nice cooling breezes!) and further while still working hard enough to qualify as a real workout. (heart monitor verified).
Mostly it's just too too much FUN!!
I can't think of any other exercise where the breeze is enough to keep me from sweating profusely while I can maintain a 130 to 140 heart rate for a solid hour and also be smiling at the end of it!

I rode my brother's road bike to work daily 11 miles one way in college. Once I could get my own bike I started mountain biking (Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma). Pretty avid mountain biker and just around-town biker through 20s and 30s. Then hit a sedentary period in my 40s that I am now regretting. Last May I sold my hybrid bike that had been collecting dust and went out and bought a folder (Tern) for easy transport and a sleek belt drive Spot Brand for city biking. Being back in the saddle on well-performing bikes has ignited the fire in me to commute to work by bike (in a car crazy city). Now that I've mapped out a good route I'm kicking myself for not having thought of ebike commuting 5 years ago. For me an e-bike isn't cheating just a practical necessity. With a 15 mile one way commute it just isn't practical to spend 3-4 hours on my non-ebike Spot averaging 10 miles an hour (and working like a dog at it). I need an average of 15 mph with less effort or the commuting thing just isn't gonna work with my schedule and my age. So still shopping for my ebike and hope to have good commuting stories in 2017.

Good comments, I hope that this thread continues. Thanks all

Yeah I find there are so many opinions that are soooo stupid, narrow minded, and ignorant about ebikes....people who don't ride ebikes trying to tell those who might enjoy it and you what to do.

I started on a BMX bike and motocross bike starting like at age 5. Added in mountain biking and Trials MX riding and raced MX for many years. about 2 years ago I started riding ebikes....now I do that more than anything. So much fun.

My passion for riding anything on 2 wheels drove me to ebikes. I absolutely love riding mine.

That pathetically stupid pinkbike article should have been named "Friends who try to talk you out of trying or riding an ebike really are not your true friends"

I think it just comes down to that saying...for those against ebikes "Misery loves company"

Yeah, @Bikedriver, they're just jealous 'caus they don't own an ebike :D. My hand built custom designed road racing bike with all the best components might as well be hanging on the wall like a picture; never ride it- just my ebike!

My story is a lot like everyone else's. I have ridden bikes for years and years and have commuted to work on it. Then I hit menopause and my body really changed and the hills home after a long day became crushingly hard. That's no fun. This way, the assist not only made it fun again but also guaranteed how long a trip would take regardless of the wind or heat or whatever. That allows me the freedom to use the bike for everything I want. Last, I have two hitches on my bike which depending on the need, can be used for anything from buying groceries to bike packing to dragging my dog everywhere with me. I know I wouldn't be putting in the miles like this if it wasn't for the help.

I had been walking about 2 miles every day for exercise ever since a hernia operation in 2011.... Walking is good exercise but after 5 years of it, I was just getting BORED of it... I ran across an article on the Sondors e-bike and knew that e-biking would be much more FUN than walking. And I was right; after shopping, researching, test riding, I finally got myself an E-Lux e-bike and have been putting in much more time on it than I ever did walking; I'm getting more and better exercise (can feel the muscles ache after a long ride) and enjoying it a whole lot more.

I can't think of any other exercise where the breeze is enough to keep me from sweating profusely while I can maintain a 130 to 140 heart rate for a solid hour and also be smiling at the end of it!

I've also not lost a day to dead legs or sore muscles. I used to think that extra hard, long rides were the ultimate GOOD workout. The ones that drain you for the day and have your knees aching the next week.
That struggling like a fiend to muscle up that hill was good healthy work, character building stuff. Boy was I wrong!!
I get as much work as I need, but never TOO MUCH, and at 57 that is important. I tend to go 100% at stuff and while that's good for a lot of things, it sure isn't for everything.
That's a lesson I may not have ever learned withOUT an E bike. :)

I'm not an e-biker yet, but I'm considering it for the future. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Seattle. I'm physically limited in how far I can walk by pain from degenerative discs, a tilting of my vertebrae, and fibromyalgia, to the point of qualifying for a disabled parking sticker. I use a rolling walker not for balance issues but because every 200 feet or so I need to sit down for about 30 seconds to re-align my spine and let my nerves un-pinch.

It's occurred to me that for short trips I might actually have better luck getting closer to where I want to go on a bike, and be able to sit down the entire time while STILL getting variable levels of exercise with an e-bike that has adjustable levels of assist. On days my fibromyalgia is really kicking my butt I may be able to let the motor do more of the work. On days I'm feeling better I can do more of the pedaling. Fibro's unpredictable in that you can start out feeling great, and then suddenly it's as if someone's sucked the energy right out of you and beat you with a sock filled with soap. Having something that could pick up the slack when my body decides to give out is a very inviting idea.

I rode my brother's road bike to work daily 11 miles one way in college. Once I could get my own bike I started mountain biking (Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma). Pretty avid mountain biker and just around-town biker through 20s and 30s. Then hit a sedentary period in my 40s that I am now regretting. Last May I sold my hybrid bike that had been collecting dust and went out and bought a folder (Tern) for easy transport and a sleek belt drive Spot Brand for city biking. Being back in the saddle on well-performing bikes has ignited the fire in me to commute to work by bike (in a car crazy city). Now that I've mapped out a good route I'm kicking myself for not having thought of ebike commuting 5 years ago. For me an e-bike isn't cheating just a practical necessity. With a 15 mile one way commute it just isn't practical to spend 3-4 hours on my non-ebike Spot averaging 10 miles an hour (and working like a dog at it). I need an average of 15 mph with less effort or the commuting thing just isn't gonna work with my schedule and my age. So still shopping for my ebike and hope to have good commuting stories in 2017.

Buy an ebike conversion kit (front wheel or rear wheel) on ebay or aliexpress and converse your regular bike to an ebike. It's not too expensive. I did mine and am very happy with it.

I'm not an e-biker yet, but I'm considering it for the future. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Seattle. I'm physically limited in how far I can walk by pain from degenerative discs, a tilting of my vertebrae, and fibromyalgia, to the point of qualifying for a disabled parking sticker. I use a rolling walker not for balance issues but because every 200 feet or so I need to sit down for about 30 seconds to re-align my spine and let my nerves un-pinch

I think ebikes could be a good option for you. Of course check with your doctor. My boyfriend and picked up a pair of bikes so we can go out together and we do. If I get tired I can still keep up and enjoy the day without holding him back or pushing myself too hard. It's been a great equalizer. The right bike can give control over how much human power you put into it. Much luck on your journey into ebikes. :)

I've seen this guy's videos on YouTube for years. Serious road cyclist, serious trainer, extremely serious views on the sport of cycling. Annoyingly opinionated, so much so I started avoiding his videos. Then I noticed this entry from December 2014, entitled "Ebikes Are For LOSERS!". Since I started ebiking before it was posted, I likely purposely avoided it, but I clicked on it the other day...

If he can be turned, there's hope anyone can be turned!

Back