Friction drive in 2021 opinions/thoughts? (first e-bike)

SurfTech

Region
Europe
Hello all,

I’m new to the forums.

I’ve been looking into ebikes.

Mostly researching the DIY route or conversion kits.

I recently saw some easy conversion kits all based on friction instead of a hub motor.

Some have made several versions, the older versions look a lot less refined.

It is however hard to find honest reviews about these. Did anyone recently test these?

The newer ones look improved. I found a review but it was with a dated version model.

Below are some examples / brands.
The Qiroll seems the most interesting of the bunch at that price point.

https://qirollshop.com/products/

Also if there is any other brand/model/tech I should look into, let me know :) (important note, I'm based in Europe)
The usage would be to commute.
Any thoughts on these? Better go for a switch conversion kit or more DIY?
What I really like about some of the models is the low weight, and the look. They are not very noticeable.

The problem with some of these friction drives is they can end up costing as much as a standard E Bike kit. I too have been curious for a simple add on system that I could fly with - the batteries still being the biggest obstacle with airlines limiting you to a 100 watt battery or less. The Qiroll H70 kit might be an option but looks like their most powerful motor is still only 320 watts with a supposed top speed of 30 mph. In my mind this is probably very optimistic of them & you still need to find a solution for the battery if you wish to fly somewhere with your bike. I'm interested if you ever got any feedback or found any good reviews as well.

I've seen this video before and always enjoyed the part in the above video where they couldn't get the sprocket off. I couldn't either, when I installed my middrive. I had to cut mine off with a sawzall, They never read the manual. You can't make a friction drive work with mountain bike knobbies.

At the time of the review, I had done my third conversion. Batteries were harder to get in 2016. Walmart had these 12V car starter batteries on closeout for $29, They contained a 12V Lipo battery. I bought three, and for $100, I had a relatively safe battery that could run my bike for 15 miles. I think one or two of them could have run the above friction kit. The picture has the three batteies, and the controller in a rear rack bag.

I was so afraid of those Lipo batteries would blow up. I kept them outside. and left them out in the rain. Water killed the controllers, and now they would have blown up. I recycled them.

P1500649.jpg

Back