Frey HT1000 Configuration options?

Gee_Whiz

Because I couldn't find a similar thread and I think it would help future Frey buyers, I wanted to get feedback on a comparison of the options provided by Frey:

Cassette:
Which would be more ideal with a 44t-48t chainring; the SRAM EX1, the 11-42t(10 speed), or the 11-46t (11 speed)?

Brakes:
Magura MT5 Ne is seen as better from my research, but are also seen by some as difficult to maintain; are the Tektro HD E725's poor or just average? And for a guy 250+ is the Magura a must?

DERAILLEUR
Shimano M6000 vs M8000?

GEAR SHIFTER
Shimano M6000 vs M8000?

Fork (for commuting primarily)
Rockshox RECON Yari vs GTMRK

Battery:
48V/21ah (range) vs 52V/17ah (Speed)
Does anyone know a percentage difference between the two, ie how much more range is the 48v vs how much speed increase on the 52v?

Tires (commuting):
Supermoto X
2.4 vs 2.8? Which is more ideal?

If more offroading, go with the Rekon+

Gearsensor?
Ive read this is a no, as it can often go bad and cause a motor cutout at the wrong times?

Rear rack Y
Fenders Y
Integrated lights Y - Though these will no longer work if you go with the Archon?
extra charger Y
extra charging pigtail Y (works well with the Luna 52V advanced charger)
extra derailleur hangers Y
programming cable Y/N? Depending upon your preferred config method

Other Options not from Frey:
Motor Configuration tool:
EggRider Display? Thoughts?
Manual configuration via programming cable?
Archon Upgrade via Watt Wagons? Do the integrated lights still not work via this option? Thoughts?

Is it one or the other in this regard, or both?

All input is welcome and anything else to consider?

Last edited:
Cassette, Derailleur and Gear Shifter - Either the 10-11 speed will be easiest to work with as its harder to find a Parts for an 8-speed setup. But in some ways an 8-Speed cassette is ideal, as you don't really need so many gears with this much power available, and you can use a thicker/stronger chain.

Ultimately, you need all these parts to be compatible, so if you choose the M6000 (10-speed) derailleur, you'll need a 10-speed cassette, and a 10-speed gear shifter. The M8000 is 11-Speed.

In future, I think higher power ebikes will go for fewer gears - like the 8-Speed EX1, rather than more. But the availability of parts is a bit of an issue right now, its more geared towards the 10-11 speed market.

Brakes - I have the MT5's. I'm not sure how they're harder to maintain - brakes are brakes. To be honest, you could fit them later if you want to save on the initial purchase price. I'm not a fan as such of Tektro brakes but they'll do the job.

Forks - Rockshox.... Its much easier to service the well known brands when it comes to forks.

Battery -

48v x 21amp = 1008 watts
52v x 17amp = 884 watts

You might get 10-15% further on the 48v.... but you'll get a little more speed out of the 52v... You'll need to decide what is more important to you on that front. It somewhat depends on your upgrade plans later, you might like to have the 52v if you later upgrade the controller to Archon X1.

I have a 48v, and its not slow by any means....

Tires - The Super moto's are great on road. I have them in 2.8's. Very stable at speed, give good confidence on the corners and low rolling resistance.

Gear sensor - Yes get it - and yes it does cause cut outs at times... especially if its been installed poorly like near the derailleur. On the Frey bikes its mounted by the handlebars, but at times you can still get a "cut-out" when you hit a hard bump or knock. It doesn't happen that frequently that its a big issue. I would say purchase it because its a good training aid to how much torque this bike delivers, and it might help you from breaking the chain. After a few months or so maybe then remove it if you feel comfortable on it.

Rear rack Y
Fenders Y
Integrated lights Y
extra charger Y
extra charging pigtail Y
extra derailleur hangers Y
programming cable Y

None of the options are of great quality, but they're fairly cheap so I think worth getting to get you started.

Lights on Archon - I don't have an Archon controller but I think they do. Its easy enough to add lights afterwards so I wouldn't worry too much about this for now.

Last edited:
Back