Frey Bike unveiled two high-power and high-speed electric bicycles

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
As posted on Electrek... sounds like a great deal for a high-performance ride. ;)

1568690862295.png

Frey Bike unveiled two high-power and high-speed electric bicycles today, pushing the envelope for high-end e-bikes with surprisingly modest prices.
The two e-bikes unveiled today include the EX and CC models, which are a high-end electric mountain bike and electric cross-country or commuter bike. The EX model is designed for aggressive trail riding and mountain climbing, while the CC model has a more relaxed, upright geometry as well as low standover height, both of which make it better suited for city and hybrid riding.

The pair of new e-bikes share the high power Bafang M620 mid-drive motor, which is more commonly known as the Bafang Ultra motor. This motor is often rated at 1,000W continuous, but puts out closer to 1,500W to 1,600W of peak power. It also churns out 160 Nm (118 lb-ft) of torque, which is simply massive. That’s around 2-3x the torque of most Bosch, Brose, or Shimano mid-drive motors. And unlike nearly every other mid-drive motor, these Bafang Ultra motors come with a hand throttle in addition to the standard pedal assist.

Frey Bike officially quotes the top speed of the two bikes as 50 km/h (31 mph), with an option for limiting the speed and power levels to legal levels for various jurisdictions. As if that wasn’t fast enough, I was told by multiple owners of Frey electric bicycles in the audience that this motor installed on the company’s popular AM1000 electric bike exceeds the claimed 50 km/h (31 mph) top speed. Both models include a high-capacity integrated battery, with a 48V and 672 Wh battery hidden in the frame of the EX model and a larger 48V and 816 Wh in the CC model. The EX model also offers the option of a second 672 Wh battery added to the frame in a downtube-mounted pack. Both models come with hydraulic disc brakes. The CC model includes Tektro Dorado brakes, while the EX model features even higher-end Magura brakes.

Both models should be available to purchase in the next two to three months. Frey Bike didn’t unveil the final pricing yet, but said that the CC model should be equivalent to the current AM1000 model pricing. That bike currently starts at around $2,300 before shipping, with options for even higher spec components, such as DNM inverted forks, increasing the price somewhat.

Last edited:
The CC (cross country?) model looks interesting but it's really not commuter-class IMHO. I currently have a hardtail Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 and have it setup in "commuter mode" running a 29" x 2.5" wheelset. Love it. The Juggernaut is essentially equivalent to Frey's current HT1000 (also a hardtail) and uses the same Bafang Ultra motor. Personally, I think full suspension on a commuter bike is overkill - adds weight/complexity and makes a rear rack/panniers problematic. I'd love it if they did a hardtail version of the CC or figured out a full suspension design like the Riese & Müller Delite/Superdelite which integrates the rack into the main frame - not the swing arm. Do you think a rear rack on the CC is going to fly? Also those "fenders" need to get replaced with something much more worthy.

The imp. Q- What is the ebike’s weight ?
50lb or 70lb ? Either one of those weights ...it’s too heavy for 2020 !!

The CC (cross country?) model looks interesting but it's really not commuter-class IMHO. I currently have a hardtail Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 and have it setup in "commuter mode" running a 29" x 2.5" wheelset. Love it. The Juggernaut is essentially equivalent to Frey's current HT1000 (also a hardtail) and uses the same Bafang Ultra motor. Personally, I think full suspension on a commuter bike is overkill - adds weight/complexity and makes a rear rack/panniers problematic. I'd love it if they did a hardtail version of the CC or figured out a full suspension design like the Riese & Müller Delite/Superdelite which integrates the rack into the main frame - not the swing arm. Do you think a rear rack on the CC is going to fly? Also those "fenders" need to get replaced with something much more worthy.

I agree that a bit of customization will be required for a commuter rig. That said, the bike is less than half the price with better specs than the competition.

Initially, I doubted it too.
But Frey is known for producing one of the best bang for buck eMTBs.

If you look at the current $2300 model that they're talking about, the difference between new one and old one is primarily design differences. Which doesn't necessarily cost more to produce.

Going from Reention battery to integrated battery? That's only a design difference.
They both have Bafang Ultra too.

Maybe with a slight price increase, they might be able to do it?
123201845125.jpg

frey_bike_new_models_1.jpg

$700 shipping, so at least $3000 and no support to speak of. I'll pass.

$700 shipping, so at least $3000 and no support to speak of. I'll pass.

Yea same opinion.

It’s unfortunate b/c it does look like a great emtb. , Micah tested it/review it , has a great price too. Good job Frey team !

Although is only a few components that can fail( controller, battery, motor, display) it can take weeks to get one of those in case of failure.

Frey,
Send me the ebike with all those parts as a backup and i will buy it last week !

A Specialized Levo or Bh Atom Carbon Lynx (either one) is 6grand but is THE reference for a high end mtb. And dealers are everywhere.

Maybe 1-3days max. for a replacement part.

When is this bike going to be on sale? I don't think they mentioned it in the article.

According to Micah, the new model should be available before year-end... an early Christmas present! ;)

Electrek’s Take

Both models should be available to purchase in the next two to three months.
Frey Bike didn’t unveil the final pricing yet but said that the CC model should be equivalent to the current AM1000 model pricing.
That bike currently starts at around $2,300 before shipping, with options for even higher spec components, such as DNM inverted forks, increasing the price somewhat.

I have to say that these two bikes are pretty incredible, and I can attest to that as someone who test-rode both of them earlier today on the factory floor after the unveiling.

frey_bike_new_models_47.jpg

While many (perhaps even most) electric bicycles in China are fairly low-end, mass-produced e-bikes, Frey Bike is quite different. The company only produces around 1,000 to 1,500 e-bikes per year but builds them at incredibly high-quality standards and with top-end components that I’ve never seen before on Chinese e-bikes.

These full-suspension e-bikes literally rival $6,000-$8,000 Haikbikes and other high-end European electric mountain bikes. You’ll find the same bike components on both bikes, and the frames are just as good. The only difference is you’re buying direct to consumer from a Chinese company instead of paying European prices. Sure, the cost of labor is higher in Europe, but you can’t deny that you’re partially paying for the brand name (not to mention the Bosch brand name as well)

I’ve rarely seen full suspension city bikes, much less with this level of high-end RockShox suspension and custom-designed linkage.
Add in the ridiculously powerful Bafang Ultra motor, the hand throttle, and the surprisingly affordable price and you’ve got a real winner on your hands.

Last edited:
More details published on pricing for the Frey CC and EX/Advanced/Pro models.

FREY EX model electric mountain bike

1570860020029.png

The EX model is available with multiple component load-outs, starting with a single removable 672 Wh battery hidden inside the downtube. The entry-level EX Basic is priced at US $3,380, but the parts on this bike are anything but entry-level. It comes standard with a RockShox Yari 180 mm fork. That’s a $500 fork on its own, folks. And that’s just the start of the high-end components that come standard on the entry-level model, such as Magura MT5 hydraulic disc brakes. A pair of those will set you back almost $250, not even including rotors.
The next step up is the EX Advanced, which comes with a second battery mounted just above the first. That second battery bumps the price up to US $3,760. Lastly, the EX Pro is the top of the line EX model and upgrades to a RockShox Lyric Select 180 mm fork, which is a $700 piece of kit. The EX Pro also comes with dual batteries and is priced at US $4,010.

For comparison, we test rode some pretty nice Haibike electric mountain bikes at Interbike last year. These are bikes that cost upwards of $6,000 and have comparable components to the FREY EX Basic for everything from brakes, shifters and suspension components. Yet the FREY EX has more than twice the motor power and torque at roughly half the price.And while many people will prefer the proximity and service options of a European manufacturer over a Chinese based manufacturer, at the end of the day the parts all come from China anyway, so the cost difference becomes even more striking.

FREY CC model full-suspension commuter bike

frey_cc_price_9.jpg

While trail riders will be drawn more to the EX model, I personally prefer the CC because of its potential as a fast, comfortable commuter e-bike.
The CC model comes with an 840 Wh removable battery hidden in the frame of the bike. It features the same Bafang Ultra motor that the company underrates at 1,000 W and 50 km/h (31 mph), just like in the EX model.

The CC model is priced at $2,980 and offers a RockShox Recon fork with up to 150 mm of travel, plus a rear RockShox Monarch unit with 110 mm of travel. That’s certainly more suspension travel than nearly any other commuter oriented e-bikes. Plus you get the same Magura MT5 hydraulic disc brakes with massive 203 mm rotors, high-end Shimano transmission, Maxxis tires (even though the prototype bike I photographed here has Schwalbe tires), nice Promax components, etc. Basically, every part that looks cheap on a budget bike is replaced with something high end on this bike.

Last edited:
I wish they would offer an internal hub option like Enviolo/nuvinci or Rohloff.

How much do this models weight ? It doesn’t really say anywhere

Good question... I found a response from the author in the comments section.

Micah Tollf BeGreene85 a day ago
Yep all aluminum. I don't have exact weight figures here, but we put an EX on a scale out of curiosity when I toured the factory and I believe it was just shy of 70 lb (32 kg), though I don't remember exactly which model it was. When riding, I agree with you that the weight isn't really noticeable. It's when you stop and have to pick up the bike that it can be a problem.

Back