Frey AM1000 motor fail

I think they changed throttle from zero settings to reduce warranty claims, but many people requested it nonetheless.... It's nice to have but it can increase wear on components.. and you have to be careful as accidently hitting the throttle sends the bike lunging forward.

I think they changed throttle from zero settings to reduce warranty claims, but many people requested it nonetheless.... It's nice to have but it can increase wear on components.. and you have to be careful as accidently hitting the throttle sends the bike lunging forward.
Makes sense that it may've been done to avoid excess wear.

¿... Especially since some seem to receive their controllers with throttle Mode set to Speed, which makes it respond relative to the difference between one's speed, & throttle position (bigger difference, more throttle). !!! ?

That results in a runaway throttle feel that only tapers off as one approaches the selected speed; something like I imagine the nuclear powered racecar in the thoroughly silly old Piers Anthony YA novel, Hard Sell.

Aaand even with the throttle Mode set to Current, if one actually did manage to give it little enough throttle, & high enough load, to stall the motor in place with current flowing... that's not good either. :/

So yeah, along with the general lack of torque sensor configuration performed prior to reaching the users, throttle-from-0-KPH could certainly increase warranty claims.

Shifting speeds with a mid-drive motor in the mix, sure is a vital bit of expertise, too. I'm amazed how many videos show shifting under load. I feel like a moronically inattentive fool inviting expense & disaster, every time I hear my chain krachachunk heavily into place, instead of a freewheeling snicketythnk!

I habitually cutoff the motor during shifts, as well as when maneuvering slow or balancing at a stop.

Last edited:
Back