Freewheel remover tool does not fit

trekianov

I am trying to swap the 250w Eu motor of my RadRover 2020 with a 750w bafang motor but, when disassembling the original, I cannot use the standard freewheel remover tool because the cable and the nut do not enter in the hole. Is there something that I am missing or do I need a special freewheel remover tool? If so, where can I find it?

You need a Park Tool FR-1.3. These work if the motor cable is not on this side. Deeper tool to let the axle pass through.

Last edited:
What tool are you trying to use? Maybe a pic?

You cut a slot down the side of the tool so the wire can slip through the side. Then bring in an open end wrench, and wedge a screwdriver into the notch of the tool to wedge it out into the wrench. Thanks to Phillip Hillis on the Sondors Facebook owners page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.53.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.53.49 PM.png
    737.4 KB · Views: 4,295
You cut a slot down the side of the tool so the wire can slip through the side. Then bring in an open end wrench, and wedge a screwdriver into the notch of the tool to wedge it out into the wrench. Thanks to Phillip Hillis on the Sondors Facebook owners page.
"I see", said the blind man...🤣

I asked some bike repair near me and they say it's impossible to use standard tools, they simply don't have enough space. How did you cut the remover? It seems very hard to cut...

An angle grinder would make short work of that cut. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel has WAY less power, but would do the same thing with a little more patience.

Finally I did it! I followed the advice from @rich c and I searched for the Facebook post. I cut the tool but the first time I tried to use it I inserted the screwdriver too gently and it didn't worked. In order to succeed you have to literally hammer the screwdriver in the insertion until it is completely stuck and then apply an enormous torque to remove the freewheel. Thanks guys!

Back