Frame Bags for Battery and Wire Management.

Received this $10 frame bag today. 48v 15ah battery fits snugly. Separate pouch on the right side holds wallet and cell phone. No need to store excess cable on this tsdz2 build. 48v 10ah battery on the way will fit with some space to spare.

20210721_172110.jpg

For now, I carry my power tool range extender battery in my rear rack bag or pannier.

P1090069b.jpg P1090072b.jpg P1090070b.jpg P1090064b.jpg

I'm still looking for a more permanent way to carry it. A small nylon bag strapped to the step thru frame somewhere might work.

A few options I have used:

Luna Cycle sells a cheap cordura bag that is well-durable. In particular the zippers survive over the long term. I have only used the velcro version. there is a separate zip tie version with no straps. A black Sharpie over the embroidered logo will dial down the advertising volume. $35

IMG_20181118_164255.jpg

Bigger than the Luna bag, the Falcon EV triangle bag is an old-school battery bag that has been around for many years. Its super durable and large. So large I have only been able to use it on my larger frames (my bike frame size tends to be L or XL). Quality is very high throughout. Once again a Sharpie will turn down the volume on the logo. $60

IMG_20190929_170127.jpg

All of my triangle bags have gone over to this vendor: Uraltour. This is just a guy deep in the middle of Russia who will sew you a bag using thick cordura and tough zippers - precisely to your specifications, including spacing out the velcro straps so they miss your frame bosses and whatnot. For a whole $30 plus postal costs. I have four of them now with the first being over two years old. Being in Russia and shipping via the Russian postal service, its going to take 2-3 months to get to you. But if you can wait, the value for the dollar/ruble is absolutely unbeatable.

PXL_20210323_002543327.jpg

A few options I have used:

Luna Cycle sells a cheap cordura bag that is well-durable. In particular the zippers survive over the long term. I have only used the velcro version. there is a separate zip tie version with no straps. A black Sharpie over the embroidered logo will dial down the advertising volume. $35

View attachment 94011

Bigger than the Luna bag, the Falcon EV triangle bag is an old-school battery bag that has been around for many years. Its super durable and large. So large I have only been able to use it on my larger frames (my bike frame size tends to be L or XL). Quality is very high throughout. Once again a Sharpie will turn down the volume on the logo. $60

View attachment 94008

All of my triangle bags have gone over to this vendor: Uraltour. This is just a guy deep in the middle of Russia who will sew you a bag using thick cordura and tough zippers - precisely to your specifications, including spacing out the velcro straps so they miss your frame bosses and whatnot. For a whole $30 plus postal costs. I have four of them now with the first being over two years old. Being in Russia and shipping via the Russian postal service, its going to take 2-3 months to get to you. But if you can wait, the value for the dollar/ruble is absolutely unbeatable.

View attachment 94010
Not trying to take away from some very nice and neat builds... 👍
But as you say these have been around for years and are examples are of actual battery bags.. bags made for the purpose of carrying and concealment of batteries. I was trying to highlight the use of the standard frame storage bag for this purpose or other electrical management.

Not trying to take away from some very nice and neat builds... 👍
But as you say these have been around for years and are examples are of actual battery bags.. bags made for the purpose of carrying and concealment of batteries. I was trying to highlight the use of the standard frame storage bag for this purpose or other electrical management.
OK I missed that. My bad for not reading carefully.

Still, the last vendor will make you pretty much anything you want in any shape for about thirty bucks... a source like that opens up a world of possibilities. I was looking at having custom bags made before I found him and $200-$300 a pop - and a many-months-long backlog - was the norm for such things. All of a sudden custom bags for *anything* are in reach.

He's got a web site but I try and deal with him via ebay for the sake of the infrastructure and feedback mechanisms. Have Google Chrome auto-translate it from Russian if thats your browser.

looks like he has an English version too but the Russian one is prettier. Probably best to work with the English side.

OK I missed that. My bad for not reading carefully.

Still, the last vendor will make you pretty much anything you want in any shape for about thirty bucks... a source like that opens up a world of possibilities. I was looking at having custom bags made before I found him and $200-$300 a pop - and a many-months-long backlog - was the norm for such things. All of a sudden custom bags for *anything* are in reach.

He's got a web site but I try and deal with him via ebay for the sake of the infrastructure and feedback mechanisms. Have Google Chrome auto-translate it from Russian if thats your browser.

looks like he has an English version too but the Russian one is prettier. Probably best to work with the English side.

Definitely going to bookmark that as you are dead on with the 100's of possibilities. Thanks!
On a somewhat related subject.. Who does your custom battery builds?

Unfortunately there are several littokala sites. Unrelated to the actual company. I bought a charger and batteries and they were crap. Buyer beware.
So now you're saying that there is counterfeit items of cheap counterfeit items 🤣
Next time I order I'll ask for a sample of the CEO's dna 🙃

Definitely going to bookmark that as you are dead on with the 100's of possibilities. Thanks!
On a somewhat related subject.. Who does your custom battery builds?
Originally, Patrick Duggan @ Hi-C Battery, but I am pretty sure he is concentrating on battery rebuilds and other things now. Most recently for the Bullitt and the Big Fat Dummy, I used Bicycle Motorworks in Pennsylvania. Matt Bzura is The Guy and I have been watching what he sells for a few years, and have heard zero complaints about his work. I asked around before I took the plunge as well and everyone remained all smiles. I had nothing but good experiences in three separate buying trips. To buy a custom pack you email him with your idea and it goes from there. For some reason he has good availability on Samsung 21700 cells and they are less expensive than building with an 18650 pack.

Just before things heated up with battery cell availability, I bought those packs and, earlier, three others on bikes that needed replacements... including my sad sack 20ah 25R pack that I found out later was built by UPP and white-labeled by electrobikeworld.com, where I bought it as a custom pack (with a 60a/90a BMS) from the proprietor. Its the only pack I have ever bought that has not lasted well beyond expectations - quite the opposite - and for sure I would say never buy from either source again.

Well, this post stroke brain can't find my notes...
However, Some years ago I used a Chinese reseller to purchase new wraps for my salvage batteries. To my surprise and disappointment, they were selling wrappers for brand-name cells. For $5 you can order nearly every popular battery shrink wrap tubes to create fakes.

Originally, Patrick Duggan @ Hi-C Battery, but I am pretty sure he is concentrating on battery rebuilds and other things now. Most recently for the Bullitt and the Big Fat Dummy, I used Bicycle Motorworks in Pennsylvania. Matt Bzura is The Guy and I have been watching what he sells for a few years, and have heard zero complaints about his work. I asked around before I took the plunge as well and everyone remained all smiles. I had nothing but good experiences in three separate buying trips. To buy a custom pack you email him with your idea and it goes from there. For some reason he has good availability on Samsung 21700 cells and they are less expensive than building with an 18650 pack.

Just before things heated up with battery cell availability, I bought those packs and, earlier, three others on bikes that needed replacements... including my sad sack 20ah 25R pack that I found out later was built by UPP and white-labeled by electrobikeworld.com, where I bought it as a custom pack (with a 60a/90a BMS) from the proprietor. Its the only pack I have ever bought that has not lasted well beyond expectations - quite the opposite - and for sure I would say never buy from either source again.

Excellent.. Finding a source who have and want to preserve a good reputation is key, especially in such a young industry.

Well, this post stroke brain can't find my notes...
However, Some years ago I used a Chinese reseller to purchase new wraps for my salvage batteries. To my surprise and disappointment, they were selling wrappers for brand-name cells. For $5 you can order nearly every popular battery shrink wrap tubes to create fakes.

No worries Santo... but wondering... if I rewrap my presumed authentic LiitoKala battery with Samsung wrappers, do you think it'll last longer? 🙃

Just under 1 month of use and as far as I can tell it has been consistently working to spec. Obviously I'll have a better understanding one year in.
And I realize it's hard to vet' online but the storefront I purchased from has been in business for 8 years on Ali and still has a good reputation. Typically imposters fail in those respects. Also their homepage seems authentic and product offering is extensive.. and hell, look at all the certifications! 🙃
IMG_20210724_065203_687.JPG

Bigger than the Luna bag, the Falcon EV triangle
I believe I've had all available bags listed as triangle battery bags. My two Luna bags had failed zippers and I found the stiffeners sewn in were cardboard. Once wet they warped and shrunk and the seams were poorly constructed and failed. I sold the two EM3ev bags to Luna and they essentially replicated the EM3ev bags but were more cheaply made. In 2016 there were lots of failed zippers and actually instructions on how not to stress the zipper to prevent failures. LOTS of complaints and returns. The Falcon EV has been very durable but one of the velcro straps did separate but can be easily repaired. The EM3ev bag is nice and supplied with nylon-wrapped padding. The material is not rolled at the sewn seams so the edges can fray and separate. The ElectricRider bags were by far the most durable and had nicely designed wire ports in several locations for convenience. Sadly they are no longer in business.

I found that crank forward, flat foot bikes have a longer wheelbase, and mounting a battery on the rear rack doesn't seem to make the bikes feel "tippy" as on my "normal" frames. I found Crystalyte rack bags to be incredibly well designed. Finding them for sale can be elusive.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.06.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.06.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.06.49 PM.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 189
I'm hunting for crystalyte battery boxes to evaluate them. Kinda ugly but we'll see...<edit> Maybe not, seems they're made from unobtanium. @Timpo maybe the best Goggler here can find them?
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.17.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.17.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.17.54 PM.png
    717.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
48v 10ah BTRpower battery came today. 53+v right out of the box. Fits in the frame bag with quite a bit of room to spare, couple pounds lighter than a 48v 15ah battery that I have been using. If it holds up it'll be my go to battery.

48v 10ah BTRpower battery came today. 53+v right out of the box. Fits in the frame bag with quite a bit of room to spare, couple pounds lighter than a 48v 15ah battery that I have been using. If it holds up it'll be my go to battery.
Not that I would worry about it... but it should have been shipped at storage voltage 46v-48v.
Yeah I noticed the difference in weight from my 17.5ah.. Mostly when handling the bike and if riding aggressively over rough terrain. On the street running errands the difference is negligible.
Good luck with it!

I found that crank forward, flat foot bikes have a longer wheelbase, and mounting a battery on the rear rack doesn't seem to make the bikes feel "tippy" as on my "normal" frames. I found Crystalyte rack bags to be incredibly well designed. Finding them for sale can be elusive.
I have one of those bags and totally agree. You can see it on the ti framed bike pictured previously. I don't use the on/off key or wiring. I use a cheap bungie net to supplement its straps and ensure it stays put.

I got mine at Grin. They had them in stock not long ago and I toyed with the idea of buying a backup as they are seldom in stock, as noted. You know this as you used the Grin picture but here's a link for anyone else who wants to keep an eye out.

There have been a lot of good suggestions for battery bags offered in this post but unfortunately, none will work with my step thru frame. Since the power tool battery I want to carry is mostly for emergency range extension and not required on every ride, I decided to just carry it in my rack bag or pannier.

For organization and protection, I did find this cheap $15 heavy canvas tool bag to carry the battery and connector harness:

P1090083b.jpg P1090079b.jpg P1090080b.jpg

There is room for a second battery if necessary. The bag has sturdy loops at each end so it could be hung from a frame member if desired.

Not an elegant solution by any means but suitable enough for occasional use. If the estimated range on my main battery is questionable for a particular ride, I'll just pack the bag in a pannier.

Back