Forum migrated, please report issues!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I've been working on an updated version of EBR, and this launched a few days ago. One change we made simultaneously was to move the forums from /forums/ to a subdomain forums.electricbikereview and that reset some of the permissions. I apologize for the downtime that was experienced these past few days. I was expecting this to work seamlessly, and had hired consultants to help with the migration. After three days of petitioning for their help, I dove in myself and figured it out! I'm still making adjustments and welcome any feedback about issues that you might be having here. I also welcome feedback about the new EBR design.

Sincerely,
Court

Thanks for the continued feedback! Yes @PetriciaK the blue was chosen to make text more legible because the light greens were difficult for some of my family and friends here to read. I hope this is better, providing higher contrast :)

@Mike TowpathTraveler thanks for the encouragement. The EBR forums have been around for many years now, I think since 2014? There have been challenges with spam posts, with moderation, and I've always tried to balance how much advertising goes on here. My goal was to create a space that isn't owned by the brands or slanted by advertising and affiliate links. I hope it continues to help people choose the best ebike for their budget and lifestyle for years to come! It's also meant to be shared with shop owners and people from all across the industry, where everyone feels welcome and can share their perspective.

@DaveMatthews yes! That's an update that I'm working to refine a bit. It should match the main site better, and also improve contrast for people who might have trouble reading small text, especially on small screens. I welcome feedback and input, some of these changes have been more abrupt and imperfect than I would like, but we are moving forward and I'm trying to tidy up along the way.
Thanks for the continued feedback! Yes @PetriciaK the blue was chosen to make text more legible because the light greens were difficult for some of my family and friends here to read. I hope this is better, providing higher contrast :)

@Mike TowpathTraveler thanks for the encouragement. The EBR forums have been around for many years now, I think since 2014? There have been challenges with spam posts, with moderation, and I've always tried to balance how much advertising goes on here. My goal was to create a space that isn't owned by the brands or slanted by advertising and affiliate links. I hope it continues to help people choose the best ebike for their budget and lifestyle for years to come! It's also meant to be shared with shop owners and people from all across the industry, where everyone feels welcome and can share their perspective.

@DaveMatthews yes! That's an update that I'm working to refine a bit. It should match the main site better, and also improve contrast for people who might have trouble reading small text, especially on small screens. I welcome feedback and input, some of these changes have been more abrupt and imperfect than I would like, but we are moving forward and I'm trying to tidy up along the way.

@etchlings thanks for calling this out! I wonder if this is a permissions issue. I can see your reply here, but you're talking about creating new threads entirely, correct? I visited your profile and saw a post "Hallo! Calsual rider, from Mid-Atlantic..." and another one "If price was the same... R&M Nevo..." and both are in not-published status. Did you delete them or are those the ones you wish to have live? https://forums.electricbikereview.com/members/etchlings.60212/#latest-activity

Those were the “stuck” posts, yeah. No idea why I could reply visibly to any existing post, but not create any top level new posts without it being flagged for approval. Thanks for fixing it, however.

Yes @PetriciaK the blue was chosen to make text more legible because the light greens were difficult for some of my family and friends here to read. I hope this is better, providing higher contrast :)
That blue is quite saturated, especially when boldfaced, making the text overtly "in your face". Can the color be made configurable by the user? If not, maybe I can dig into my browser settings to see if there's something on the client end that I can use to combat that.

Update: local CSS to the rescue!

Last edited:
Court, I just want to thank you for everything you've done and continue to do, with this great forum and everything else related to Ebikes. This is still, hands-down, the best forum for ebikes in the world and it all goes back to you.

I like the blue but it does make links within text body harder to see.

And I guess I should thank Court as well for all he does... especially since I give the moderators more work than a simultaneous server transition and virus attack 🙃

Last edited by a moderator:
Why blue?!

@Court have you looked to the issue of the links (new or old) to forum posts that do not work anymore when shared to Facebook?

Last edited:
@Court You should probably update the Favicon to either black like the main site or blue like the forum. It's still the old green one on my browser like when I search:

1691566867592.png

Kudos to the EBR team: Some of the issues I reported above have already been addressed!

Screenshot_20230810_110058_Chrome.jpg

One more issue: Before migration, each page in a thread had a page navigation bar at the top and bottom. Now the top bars are gone. Can they be restored?

Hi guys! I've been working on an updated version of EBR, and this launched a few days ago. One change we made simultaneously was to move the forums from /forums/ to a subdomain forums.electricbikereview and that reset some of the permissions. I apologize for the downtime that was experienced these past few days. I was expecting this to work seamlessly, and had hired consultants to help with the migration. After three days of petitioning for their help, I dove in myself and figured it out! I'm still making adjustments and welcome any feedback about issues that you might be having here. I also welcome feedback about the new EBR design.

Sincerely,
Court
I notice there is no dropdown option to get to the General Forum Top Page, you can only get to New post, E_bike Type or E-Bike brands via the Forums Tab.

@Jeremy McCreary I'm trying to figure this one out, it bothers me too... Thanks for calling it out!

@ElevenAD I'll work on a fix for this. I think you can click "Forums" and it will take you to the general top page. Can you please test this out and let me know?

@Jeremy McCreary I'm trying to figure this one out, it bothers me too... Thanks for calling it out!

@ElevenAD I'll work on a fix for this. I think you can click "Forums" and it will take you to the general top page. Can you please test this out and let me know?
I could be wrong, but I think this is what @ElevenAD is referring to. On the EBR review main page, there is a drop-down menu for "Forum" at the top. The word forum is not a link to the forum.

EBR1.png

The menu that drops has no forum main page link.

EBR2.png

You have a choice of Category, Brand or New Posts, but not the forum main page.

I could be wrong, but I think this is what @ElevenAD is referring to. On the EBR review main page, there is a drop-down menu for "Forum" at the top. The word forum is not a link to the forum.

View attachment 160258

The menu that drops has no forum main page link.

View attachment 160259

You have a choice of Category, Brand or New Posts, but not the forum main page.
Yes this is what i was talking about, thanks J.R

Back