Folding Fat Bike mid drive options?

ColdWinters

Greetings!

I'm not sure a production bike exists for what I am looking for right now and need your help! I'm 190, 5'8 and a year round commuter in the midwest with occasional snow on the trails (good fenders are must to keep me from getting messy). I would like to fold the bike up to bring inside during the winters at work (would cut down on theft possibility vs leaving it outside on the racks) or store inside the car. My work doesn't have huge storage spaces inside (aka a full size mountain bike would be too big of a footprint).

Budget 3k all in but a little wiggle room.

Would prefer

-A folding fat bike (would consider a folding mountain bike possibly)
-prefer integrated rear rack bike frame (or ability to add a rear rack...MUST carry about 50 pounds capacity on the rear rack)
-preferably with a mid drive.

I'm not finding much (or any really) for what I'm looking at with a mid drive. Luna makes a folding bike with a mid drive but I'm not sure the frame could hold 50 a lb rear rack weight capacity and it probably couldn't hang in light snow.

Probably most Viable option 1: Fat tire folding bike options (non-mid drives to convert to a bbshd or bbs02)

Ride Scoozy Veego Fat tire (++ plus for the integrated rack on the frame)
Igo fat folding (++ plus for the integrated rack on the frame)
Vultbike mariner
Rad Mini

Has anyone had success in putting a BBSHD in any of the production folding fat bikes? Any links or info? Cost would be about $1500 for one of these production bikes but then immediately putting in another $1200 with the bbshd and new battery. Probably will have to go this route but seems a little wasteful as I wouldn't be using the production battery or hub motor that comes on it.

Option 2:

-I'm 100% open to finding a fat tire folding bike frame builder if anyone knows of one and then building the bike ground up from there.
-Find a non electric folding bike to convert (anyone have any links or has done this with a mid drive?)

-Ordering a cheaper electric bike from overseas to basically use the frame could be an option but might be a little complex as I've never ordered anything like that before.

Possible options 3/4:

Banana bikes are an option but not my first choice for storage inside the car. Options like the luna banana/juiced scrambler aren't available for a while.
Cargo bikes: Radwagon is available but would be difficult to store without folding at work (getting in and out of elevators, etc) but open to any suggestions if folding cargo bikes exist.

Wondering if anyone has any input, suggestions or links to builds for some of the above with a BBSHD.

Thank you EBR community!

Here are the battery sizes for the production bikes.

Igo battery: 48 volt - 13 amp/hr Samsung lithium battery
Voltbike battery: Lithium-ion 48v 11.6ah
Rad mini battery: 48V 14Ah (672Wh) Lithium-Ion battery using Samsung cells
Ride scoozy: 10.4 Amp Hour w/ Samsung Lithium Ion Cells

I don’t remember who, but someone awhile ago in the RadPower forum bought a RadMini, got rid of the rear hub and did a BBSHD conversion.
Lots of people have done Montague Paratrooper BBSHD conversions, but it’s not a fatty. You’ve probably seen some on the Luna forum.
New Montys have a rear rack, but my old one doesn’t so I use a Burley Travoy trailer. Works great, especially since my weight maxs out the bike’s rider weight limit. I barely know it’s there, and I can fold and stow the bike on the trailer when I go into buildings where regular bikes aren’t allowed.
Oh- I don’t have a mid-drive (Bionx hub) but I’ll do a BBSHD conversion if I keep this bike. It’s pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back