Folding and/or commuting ebike suggestions

sarahshawnee

HI everyone,

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading reviews over the last few days, and I'm still indecisive about that bike I want to get. This will be my first ebike. I only commute about 5 miles round trip each day on the bike. There are a few hills, and me plus all my books and gear could weigh up to 250 lbs. I am 6' tall. My budget is $2000.

I'd had been leaning towards a folding bike so that I could call a Lyft and put it in the back for a trip home if weather got bad during the day, plus I could store it in my office. This isn't strictly necessary though - there is a bike rack right outside my door.

The Blix Vika+ caught my eye, and I know Court recommends the Enzo, but I can't find a max weight for the latter.

If I was going to go with a non-folding bike, the Electric Bike Company's step-through was appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I built a folding bike and here is my one suggestion. Generally these are 20 inch bikes tops. Some even smaller. With the small wheels and no suspension combined with 250 pounds and 15 mph, when you hit a hole in the road they can be teeth jarring.

After building this one, I will build another but it will be 26 inch with some sort of suspension.

I have a Blix Vika+ with almost 2K miles, and I'm your height. No complaints. I recommend getting a suspension seatpost for a 20" wheel, unless you're riding on silky smooth pavement. If you have long legs, go for a 450mm seatpost. Electric bikes are heavy, so it's kind of a pain loading them in and out of cars. I wouldn't plan on doing that very often.

Also, don't rule out a 6 speed regular Brompton for trips that distance. The electric version isn't available yet.

I'm on the taller & heavier side and love my new Blix Aveny step thru. My commute is 4.5 miles one way, mostly flat or long inclines with a few sharper short hills. The Blix handles it very well. I haven't really thought about the weather problem. I suppose I would leave it in my office if I couldn't drive home and bus to and from.

I would go for a lightweight e-bike, one that you can take with you anywhere you go, that would be personal preference. Made with a solid frame. I've been exploring myself looking for a folding e-bike, I heard a good place to look is Indiegogo. Electric bike searches are trending there now. I looked up "electric bike", and on the launching soon page and there was some really good looking folding e-bike choices starting off their campaign with pre-orders and big discounts.

Back