Flat tire history with LaFree E+1

Feelgoodranch

Had bike less than 2 months....3 flats. No identified source other than questionable “pinched” inner tube.
Anyone found a better, more durable replacement tire?
Does this seem more prevalent than reported?
Suggestions appreciated.

I don't think your rims and tires are "tubeless ready" like some other model Giant bikes. So switching to tubeless might be difficult and expensive.

There are Schwalbe tires which are supposed to be the most flat resistant... you might investigate those. Plus a heavy-duty inner tube.

And there are some folks who use a sealant (like Slime) inside their tubes so that small punctures are patched by the sealant.

What kind of surfaces are you riding on?

I have had my +1 for two month. Ride number two and four resulted in flat tires. Dealer where I bought it was useless in resolving the issue. The first action at another bike dealer was to install a Mr. Tuffy liner which should protect a penetration reaching the tube. After the second flat I wanted new tires and after a lot of research they suggested Schwalbe "Crazy Bob" tires. They have be on the bike for about 6 weeks now and have not had a single problem. You can tell that the are heavy duty tires and treads. I control of the bike is much more stable and I feel very safe. I think what Giant did was cut corners and put 20 mph rated tire on the bike. The Schwalbe Crazy Bob tire is rated 50km.

It’s probably just bad luck on your part. I caught a stable in my Explore E+ on my second ride and threw in a inexpensive new tube from Dick’s Sports. Costs me $6.99 and no troubles since.

Had bike less than 2 months....3 flats. No identified source other than questionable “pinched” inner tube.
Suggestions appreciated.
I've had 4 flats in 8,000 miles. So yes, more prevalent in my experience.

Suggestions appreciated.
Pinch flats sound like your tires might be underinflated. Get a good tire gauge and use it regularly and often. Bike tires don't hold a lot of air in the first place so if they lose a little bit, and they do, they lose a lot.

Liners are a good idea. Slime, or something similar, in my opinion and experience, is a great thing to help prevent flats.

A lot of flat issues are a matter of (bad) luck, but the surfaces you ride on and your tires can be factors too.

For most normal riding I'm pretty well convinced tubeless tires won't help at all, at least compared to tubes with Slime. In terms of helping with flats, they are almost certainly not worth the cost of switching to. Opinions vary.

TT

Probably right. Being my first bike I didn’t want to take a chance. I was reluctant to go very far from home. There is an obvious difference in the quality of the tires. I don’t worry about them now.
Pinch flats sound like your tires might be underinflated. Get a good tire gauge and use it regularly and often. Bike tires don't hold a lot of air in the first place so if they lose a little bit, and they do, they lose a lot.

Liners are a good idea. Slime, or something similar, in my opinion and experience, is a great thing to help prevent flats.

A lot of flat issues are a matter of (bad) luck, but the surfaces you ride on and your tires can be factors too.

For most normal riding I'm pretty well convinced tubeless tires won't help at all, at least compared to tubes with Slime. In terms of helping with flats, they are almost certainly not worth the cost of switching to. Opinions vary.

TT

You are right...good gauge and pump. I now check my tires before each ride. The Trek dealer did put something in the tires when he installed the new Schwalbe tires. He said it should help seal the tire. I am convinced that the OEM tires were too soft. Of course I may not have had enough air in them. I was new to it when it occurred.

Probably right. Being my first bike I didn’t want to take a chance. I was reluctant to go very far from home. There is an obvious difference in the quality of the tires. I don’t worry about them now.

You are right...good gauge and pump. I now check my tires before each ride. The Trek dealer did put something in the tires when he installed the new Schwalbe tires. He said it should help seal the tire. I am convinced that the OEM tires were too soft. Of course I may not have had enough air in them. I was new to it when it occurred.
Try also to get used to squeezing the tire with your fingers to get used to what the proper pressure feels like. I have a good gauge, but rarely use it (and hate using it actually) because just about always I need to reach for my pump anyway. And I have (and recommend) a good floor pump WITH a gauge. Since I'm going to have to pump up anyway (mostly) I may as well have the gauge on my pump.

I don't know if it's really necessary, but for half a century now (really) I've been in the habit of giving the valve stem a little tap with my finger (after unscrewing the inner valve screw) to let a wee bit of air out. I learned at the time that sometimes it sort of sticks, which makes pumping more air in quite hard. That little flick loosens the valve and filling is easier. But it does release a little bit of air, meaning that if I only use a gauge I'm going to have to pump up the tire anyway.

I am of course, talking about the more common Presta valves and not Schraeder.

Oh, and if your dealer put "something in the tires" that's probably a sealant like Slime. When you fill the tires or check pressures, turn the wheel so that the valve is at the 9 or 3 o'clock position. If it's at the top, the sealant might leak into your pump or gauge, and if at the bottom it pools there and also can come out (making a mess).

Good information. Thank you very much. I bought a floor pump made by Bontrager and it has a large gauge making easy to see. My bike has the Presta valves and its taken awhile to learn how to use them. The tip to flick the end is a great tip. I will try it. I am guilty of not using the 9 or 3 stem position.

Even rims that aren't tubeless ready can be converted by using tape on them, have done it in a previous bike, it is a bit of work since you have to take out the tire, tape the entire inside of the rim (which might be a couple of turns), and then you need to puncture the part of the rim with the hole for the valve and put a tubeless ready valve in there, the only disadvantage I noticed in relation to the ready made sort is that I did have to inflate the tires more often in a week because the air seal wasn't as good (but then again I had used a normalish tape for the conversation and not something proper).
Honestly if we exclude the work/cost of converting I see little reason to run with tubes, after making the change I haven't looked back, just make sure to put tire sealant (the slime being referenced here) inside the tire, and "refill" it once or twice a year if it goes dry, have had quite good results with stan's no tubes, only remember of 2 situations where I had to worry about flats while MTB, one was a rock that slashed a tire (the tire was unrecoverable there), and once where I had to stop because I had lost too much air from a puncture, by the time I stopped the puncture was fixed, but I had lost a bit of air so had to refill it with my hand pump.

That being said if you are getting flats due to punctures, there are tubes that are more resistant to flats, there are even tubes with sealant in them, although these last ones are probably not worth the cost given that the sealant can both dry out and run out, so unless it is refillable it shouldn't be worth it.

Oh yeah if you do use anything be it tubes or tubeless with sealant, do not use CO2 cartridges to inflate the tires, the low temperatures of the CO2 might crystallize the liquid making it pretty much useless.

Good information. Thank you very much. I bought a floor pump made by Bontrager and it has a large gauge making easy to see. My bike has the Presta valves and its taken awhile to learn how to use them. The tip to flick the end is a great tip. I will try it. I am guilty of not using the 9 or 3 stem position.
The 9 or 3 stem position only matters if you have sealant in your tires. And if I read your posts right, your dealer has just installed that for you. So prior it was a non-issue.

I don't think he put SLIME in it. Seems like he used a lubricant????
I've never heard of such a thing!!!

A lubricant (something like soapy water or windex) might be used to help ease the tire bead onto the rim, but using a lubricant inside the tube? Back in the old days, sometimes we put a bit of baby powder on the tube (not in it) to help it glide into place within the tire (helps get the folds out as you pump in air). But if I understood your earlier post correctly, the dealer put something inside the tube. And that most surely is a sealant of some kind.

Back