Flat Pedals For Urban Biking

Engine44

Region
Europe
I would like to upgrade my flat pedals. This is for urban riding. Many of the flat pedals I have seen have pins sticking up. I guess this is for traction. But a shoe might not sit properly on the pedal because of the pins?

One of the best flat pedals that are equipped with safe traction moulds (instead of traction pins) are Race Face "Ride". Regarding the metal traction pin pedals, any regular shoes will do, as the pins simply bite into the shoe soles for the ride. Not that it is perfect. Therefore, many of us invested in Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes, soles of which are ideal for traction-pin-pedals, and the shoes are so strong your toes will be properly protected against any impact.
20210831_115730-01.jpeg

Adidas FiveTen FreeRider Pro shoes on CrankBrothers Stamp 1 metal-traction-pin-pedals.

Last edited:
One of the best flat pedals that are equipped with safe traction moulds (instead of traction pins) are Race Face "Ride". Regarding the metal traction pin pedals, any regular shoes will do, as the pins simply bite into the shoe soles for the ride. Not that it is perfect. Therefore, many of us invested in Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes, soles of which are ideal for traction-pin-pedals, and the shoes are so strong your toes will be properly protected against any impact.
Thanks

One thing that made pedals with traction pins interesting to me was riding down dirt trails and gravel fire roads and having my shoes continually slipping sideways or altogether off the pedals from the jostling. Pedals with smooth raised studs still allow this to happen. Pedals with raised studs that are comprised of replaceable allen screws stop it.

Surprisingly the bottom of my boots show zero signs of being torn up from the rough edges of these threaded allen screws. (I wear hiking boots most of the time, and when I ride.)

The plastic pedals on my yubabike bodaboda have plastic pins that stick up on both sides. 7800 miles later they still stick up. They engage the tread of my walking shoe. Haven't worn the shoe out either.
The pedals are "VP-535" with 15 mm thread.

Last edited:
Back