Flat pedal shoe fit?? Foot position??

MinnBobber

How should flat pedal cycling shoes fit?

I wanted my road bike Speedplay Zeroes to fit very snug. But it seems an E bike shoe could fit a little looser and still work fine???

If a flat pedal shoe like a Five Ten Freerider Pro in a size 10 is snug and a 10.5 feels fine too, which way would you go?
The extra volume would also be nice in cold weather/ could wear with a thicker sock.
……………………:
Foot position?
My flat pedal feet feel better with pedal axle slightly behind the ball of the foot.
VS road bike cleats and pedal axle slightly ahead of ball or right over ball.
Where do you position your feet??

the optimum biomechanics for most people are the same whether your foot is clipped to the pedal or not - you want the ball of your foot over the pedal axis. there’s no reason to want your foot to be able to move inside the shoe relative to that, so i wouldn’t go a half size up unless the thick sock thing is a frequent issue/need.

How should flat pedal cycling shoes fit?

I wanted my road bike Speedplay Zeroes to fit very snug. But it seems an E bike shoe could fit a little looser and still work fine???

If a flat pedal shoe like a Five Ten Freerider Pro in a size 10 is snug and a 10.5 feels fine too, which way would you go?
The extra volume would also be nice in cold weather/ could wear with a thicker sock
I decidedly choose 510s in the next close size and am happy.
……………………:
Foot position?
My flat pedal feet feel better with pedal axle slightly behind the ball of the foot.
VS road bike cleats and pedal axle slightly ahead of ball or right over ball.
Where do you position your feet??
The beauty of platform pedals with traction pins ridden with good shoes is you can place your foot wherever it feels good for you. (Important in case of some ailments). I typically place my feet as you do.

Back