Flat Out Tire, Slime or the Dart System, Armor-Dilloz. What’s the best Tire Sealant?

zipur

Region
USA
Flat Out Tire Sealant: I did a quick forum search but couldn't find a post for this product. I watched a few YouTubes, and this looks pretty impressive. Amazon can't be trusted because there are so many fake reviews. Redit has some comments. But I can only trust EBR. Is this a hoax? Has anyone post honest reviews? How about Armor-Dilloz as an option? Are these better than Slime Tire Sealant? What’s the deal with the Dart system.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, I usually use slime...I have tried the orange sealant, didn't work quite as well as slime and it left a huge mess that was super hard to clean and get off. So now I am back to slime, maybe I will check this stuff out next time.

I use Slime for prevention. No complaints...

Looks like Stans with the Dart system is the most used.
But Slime is the most talked about. Is that because Slime prevents and Dart is for repair? Tell me what’s best CO2 or Hand Pump? My tires are 650Bx57c, pretty wide to be hand pumping. Do you do CO2?

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has tried Gup tire sealant?

I haven't tried any of the above, as I instead purchased an inner-tube that is supposed to be very strong against punctures.

This is one of those things where you need your own experience to figure things out.

I've never needed "tire goo" because all my bikes are protected with tire liners (I use Mr.Tuffy but there are others).

I see you are also asking if CO2 is better than plain air, which is what all bikes are designed for. That question speaks for itself.

That's kinda why I promote Slime. Everyone knows what it is/does, you can get it anywhere, it's cheap, and it works.....

K.I.S.S.

This is one of those things where you need your own experience to figure things out.

I've never needed "tire goo" because all my bikes are protected with tire liners (I use Mr.Tuffy but there are others).

I see you are also asking if CO2 is better than plain air, which is what all bikes are designed for. That question speaks for itself.
A tire filled with CO2 will lose pressure faster than a tire filled with air. It is not so fast that your tire will be flat before you get home though. I prefer CO2 to a hand pump when I am changing a tube on the side of the road, but both will get the job done and I use a floor pump at home.

If the bike has tubes I always use Slime, its worked well for me in the past! It drastically cut down the number of punctures I'd get... from 1 a month to 1 a year, maybe less....

Saying that I don't think the Prefilled Tubes work quite as well as filling it yourself! A little more fluid helps. So stick to the bottles.

I joust got this specialized makes it its for higher psi tires. going to give it a try on our new wheels.
IMG_2989.jpg

After decades of relying on it, I had to give up Tuffy as its new XL construction is - by necessity given its use in plus and fat tires - too lightweight. It had a zero percent (0%) success rate against nails. So I went to Slime which claims it can seal holes up to about 1/4", and this is an accurate claim by and large. Along the way I have used Stans and Orange Seal in tubeless tires with success, and tubed tires with occasional success (its as likely to seal the tire hole and let the tube keep blowing bubbles as it is to seal the tube). The water-thick formulation of the tubeless sealants means they are great for thorns, less so for the big jagged stuff.

And all the while, Slime is good for up to 2 years in the tube. Stans and OS for much less, even the OS Endurance version. When slime dries in a tube you may as well change out the tube for a new one. Stans dries into weird alien shapes (google "Stans boogers") and OS dries to a thin film which is not so bad. FlatOut never dries. Put it in and you are done.

I heard a lot of chatter about FlatOut but the label on the bottle says nothing about bicycles. So I called them up and got the product manager for the Sportsman Formula (the one people were using) on the phone, and spent quite a bit of time talking to him about the sealant and their tests on bicycles with it. They tested extensively with BackCou (sp?) ebikes in wilderness settings. Lots more. I talked to him about using it for a tubeless sealant and no one had tried it yet, but based on his comments I went for it and it is *splendid* as a tubeless sealant.

Its rated as good for holes up to 1/2". Based on a couple of catastrophes I have had (tubed: a jagged piece of metal. Tubeless: a strip of 6 roofing nails) the product has worked perfectly and I'll buy the 1/2" claim as a result.
A couple weeks ago I heard the telltale hiss of a puncture but by the time I got off the bike to check for an embedded nail or whatever, the permanent seal was done. Only a slightly moist spot on the tread remained. FlatOut dries as a hard nub in the inner tube hole, unlike slime that leaves a weepy and sometimes slightly leaking hole.

Slime was good. FlatOut is a leap over it in tubes. Tubeless, its a leap over both Stans and Orange Seal.

If there is a drawback to FlatOut it is that you are prescribed to use about double that of Slime. Use 8 oz of Slime in a fat tire (Slime recommends half that and its not enough). FlatOut says use 16 oz. For a 29x2.5, use about 6 oz. Scale down from there.

Interesting that life is so simple for Soyabean. I use CO2 most of the time and have no problem with it. There is some science out there that says it will permeate through butyl rubber faster than air, and I'm satisfied that's true. I use Slime though and I really don't notice the loss of pressure. Maybe it's because of the Slime, but I have nothing but anecdotal evidence. I have 26 x 4 fatties, and I'm not going to carry a compressor around with me, and a pump that wouldn't look equally ridiculous to carry around would take a half hour to bring one of my tires up to 20 psi, so I use Co2.. 25g CO2 carts work great for me. I generally have 5 or 6 in my bag. For me, any theoretical issues with CO2 are far outweighed by its convenience.

I've never used anything but Slime so I don't know about anything else. Slime has never given me any reason to explore alternatives though. There is a YouTube video, probably more than one, comparing the different sealants. I think Slime ranked pretty high, but there may be something better. I'll probably never know.

TT

I’ve read good things about Tannus liners + a tube sealant in combination. perhaps overkill but seems like the most solid approach to drastically reducing chance of flats. Added benefit of Tannusmliners based on what i’ve read is that they also improve ride quality softening bumps and buzz from the road or trail….

that’s my plan when i get mine, tannus + slime in the tubes.

I’ve read good things about Tannus liners + a tube sealant in combination. perhaps overkill but seems like the most solid approach to drastically reducing chance of flats. Added benefit of Tannusmliners based on what i’ve read is that they also improve ride quality softening bumps and buzz from the road or trail….

that’s my plan when i get mine, tannus + slime in the tubes.
I am using Tannus + FlatOut. I would characterize Tannus as more of a 'deadening' effect rather than a ride quality improver, but I can see it being characterized as the latter. It also is dinged for hindering rolling resistance and while I have no data I'm inclined to agree. I am using it on 3 fat tire bikes @ 12-15 psi, emtb 29ers (2.5") @ 40+, a 26x2.0" tire at almost 60 psi and its companion on the same bike: a 20x2.4" @ 35 psi. I have seen Tannus come out paper thin after a few months when subject to higher pressures. Is it still effective nonetheless? Beats me. Until it proves ineffective I'm all in with it as another layer in the onion. This is a solution that would have no place on a bicycle but an ebike with a motor eliminates the weight/rolling penalty.

Installation varies from a snap (100mm rims and Snowshoe XL's) to a nightmare (29" FR560 rim and Maxxis Assegai 2.5" tire). My summer wheels on my Big Fat Dummy are Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims (80mm) with 26x4.0" Arisun Big Smoothys on. Neither I nor my professional local shop could mount either these tires or Vee Apache Fattyslicks with Tannus underneath. So I'm going bare with a tube and FlatOut.

By all means try them but be ready to have a bigger job on your hands than expected.

I am using Tannus + FlatOut. I would characterize Tannus as more of a 'deadening' effect rather than a ride quality improver, but I can see it being characterized as the latter. It also is dinged for hindering rolling resistance and while I have no data I'm inclined to agree. I am using it on 3 fat tire bikes @ 12-15 psi, emtb 29ers (2.5") @ 40+, a 26x2.0" tire at almost 60 psi and its companion on the same bike: a 20x2.4" @ 35 psi. I have seen Tannus come out paper thin after a few months when subject to higher pressures.
Interesting, are you running a much smaller tube on the wheels than if you didn’t have tannus inserts also? i’ve read that the tube used with Tannus should be much smaller…. I wonder is Tannus has pressure adjustment recommendations, or can explain why their product deforms seemingly so quickly. Or as you said, does it offer the same protection whether compressed or not…

Back