Fixing up 2004 Electric Bike - Charger!

Thanks for the reply! Very strange, i did replace the intertube when i first got the bike, i just looked at it and it looked fine. I had it sitting for 30 minutes or so and nothing leaked out so i just put it back in the tire and pumped it up, it's been an hour and it's still holding at 40 psi so hopefully it's good. Not sure how it got so low or deflated. I did carry an additional 40 lbs of groceries 2 times in the last week before the tire went and i had not been checking tire pressure at all in the last month.

Just looking back on the last 2 months, i'm just so happy that i got into electric biking. I have said it before, and i will say it again, it has changed my life so much. I have always wanted to not depend on a car and NEVER thought it could happen and it's just so possible with electric bikes. I have a car now that i am borrowing but i dont even want to get in it or drive it, i just want my batteries on my bike!

Going out for a joy ride with no batteries to test the legs, will be great exercise!

Changing the tire is a huge pain in the butt, 2 chains have to be removed, the brake cable, and shifting cable. But i feel more comfortable everytime i go in and adjust the bike, so i am so happy about this learning experience.

Inflate the tube, then submerge it under water in a bowl a few inches at a time. Look for bubbles to find the leak.

Thanks, it might have been the original tube so I replaced it this morning and went out on a 24 mile ride with almost no problem. The bikes back wheel started to be pulled in more on the left side and the tire started rubbing against kick stand but luckily that is what the banjo screw is for, to tighten the left to move the wheel off the kick stand. Also found a path through the woods to avoid the monster hill near my home so I decided to get a few cool shots.

PXL_20210711_162031099.MP.jpg

PXL_20210711_162001306.jpg

PXL_20210711_161823671.jpg

PXL_20210711_160941015.jpg

Just got the email back from sam with 2 battery options. I am going to talk it over with my friend who has been helping me to decide which to get. I figured i would just keep this thread updated just in case anyone decides to get the bike themselves. I am going to get the battery installed and see if the performance changes and will assess what i need in my future bike based on how things go with this. I am pretty hopeful that this will make the bike pretty strong. I am honestly thinking about getting another as a back up. I know the bike well now, and it seems for $1000 to be a pretty good deal. I will have to do some research to see if i can get over 350w power mid drive motor and maybe suspension for around $1200 to make it better than this bike.

My biggest problem with the bike was it's ability to climb hills. I feel like i am finally getting stronger and with the correct battery maybe i will have enough power to conquer the big hills more easily without breaking the bank. I could literally get 2.5 new chargers for the price of the 1000w bike i am looking at. I know you can't really compare a 1000w bike to a 350w bike but i think i just need to cool it and see how this performs with the correct battery.

Just left to resume our move into a new warehouse location in the
Central Valley. Too bad I got this message now instead of last night.
I prepared a lithium battery for a woman who has a trike with our E4
motor kit.

If you're at all handy, and it appears you're handy enough to open the
pack..., lithium batteries require a little work. The 2 batteries each
have their own BMS (battery management system) and charger, so a switch
must be installed to isolate each battery when charging. I'll include
instructions and the parts.

The 2 chargers will be sent taped together with the 2 plugs mated so as
to plug into a mated receptacle that extends out the small door.

You'll need to make sure to turn the switch off when charging...so paste
a note on the receptacle !!!

The other option is to use new batteries I just got that were sent with
the wrong terminals. Instead of slide-on 1/4 in., their machine
screw/nut so you'd need to change the connectors to eye-type. Also need
to extend wires. The charger for these is designed for 2, 12V in series
so there's no switch required. These are 15Ah compared with the other
ones @ 16Ah. Your choice...just tell me.

I could send photos of the installation...

It is probably a good deal, but the battery technology used on that bike is 15 years old and even with the lithium replacement it is not going to give you the range and life of a newer technology 36, 48, or 52V battery. Also, a lot of what you are struggling with on that hill is the gearing of the bike and not the motor. The Nexus IGH and the front cog of your motor will not give you as low of a gear as you can get with a modern mid-drive motor, a 42t chainring, and big cog in the back. You may be able to replace the gears on the bike, but IIRC, the chain and probably the cogs were not standard bicycle components.

I think it is a good deal to replace the battery and stabilize this bike. I am not sure I would buy another one of the same bike as a backup. Consider buying a non-electric bike as a backup. If you get a hard tail mountain bike, it will have low enough gears to tame your hill. Also, with derailleurs, it is easy to change the gearing on the bike. You can then add a motor kit to it later as you have the funds to do so.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the 2nd option and will see how it goes. You have me a lot to think about. Plus there is no suspension, I'm really in need of it I think. I might do seatpost on this bike or consider a fork replacement if possible, especially if I'm changing the bars

I have my teenager Schwinn mountain bike I am trying to get up and running, it has almost the same exact frame size as this bike but the crankset is much higher, about 6 inches and my knees hit the steering wheel when turning too sharp. I want to see if I can raise the bars safely and get that bike working

I think that the right size frame for you would be around 21" (XL) in a mountain bike and 60-62cm in a road bike. I am fortunate that I am average height, although I have a very short inseam. It is easier for me to find stuff in my size.

What do you think of this? Closest I have found for my size

Or this

Could one of these be easily modified to become an ebike?

Last edited:
What do you think of this? Closest I have found for my size

That looks good. It doesn't have disc brakes, but that isn't as important as some people would claim. Disc brakes work better in the rain, but I have never had a problem stopping my rim brake bikes in the rain if I am riding at normal bike speeds (<20mph). The bike has plenty of room in the diamond for a battery.

I decided to go with Ariel Rideal bike for my daily commuter and future backup bike. The charger will be designated as the backup commuter and main "have fun" and go to store bike. I will be putting a front rack on it and maybe another milk crate, i forgot i have about 6 of them lol. I am still waiting for the new battery to be shipped, so i will be without an e-bike for awhile. I decided to use this charger without the battery the last few days. Definitely lots of resistance and fighting on the road, doesn't roll smooth. The original tires for this bike are 26" x 2.1 tires, i bought 2 new tires for my old schwinn which are 26" x 1.95, can i use those 1.95" tires on my bike with 2.1 wheels?

Congratulations on your new bike! Yes, you can probably use those tires on the bike with 2.1 inch tires as long as it has 26" rims. It depends on the width of the rim, but a particular width can accept a wide range of tire sizes. Here is a chart.

MTB_Tire_Rim_Compatibility.jpg

Thanks for the info, turns out the schwinn turns i had bought were just as nubby as my current tires. I ordered tires that are better suited for the roads to try out.

I just got the new battery today and my friend helped me install it. After a few rough starts with the sensor not picking up the pedaling i was able to sort it out and it is working amazingly on the short 1 mile test. Went up a monster hill that without the battery makes me winded, this time with the battery absolutely no effort and it brought me up the very steep hill. It will be interesting to see how this 350w mid drive motor compares to my Arial Rider Rideal that will be arrive soon, that has 750w hub motor.

The old batteries were 9ah each, and the new ones are 15ah so that extra size will be nice. I cant wait to try it out on a longer trip tonight.

btw i am looking at installing tannus armour on my bikes. I especially don't want to have to replace a rear tire on this out in the wild.

I just completed 25 miles on highest power assist level, not one problem. Climbed over 1000 feet, did the monster hill without breaking a sweat and climbed 2 other good hills that normally wind me but no problem. Only issue is that the 4 led lights used to tell me how much battery I have left, 1 of 4 etc., But now since it's lithium instead of acid, the battery level will not show. Kind of a bummer but it's a great trade off. 25 miles while carrying about 25lbs of stuff too.

I installed back-swept bars and i really like the feel. It wasn't comfortable in a higher position, i had to keep it pretty straight or low, similar to the previous bar but the positioning makes it more comfortable while riding. I installed the top bull horns that i had on before last night and i still like how it feels when i'm up 5 inches. SO i am really considering trying a quill extender. My stem measure 25mm, so would i want a 25mm quill extender or something else? I am a bit confused. Here is the one im looking at

swept-back-bars.jpg

Looks like the bike is fixed up and the best it has ever run since i started working on it. Very cool to see how it runs with a proper battery in it. Last 4 days i have been about 100 miles and motor hasnt cut off because of overheating or because of random bumps. The previous batteries and setup was certainly wrong and thankfully i didnt permanently damage the motor. My rideal bike should come in a week or so and i can't wait to test it on my monster hills to see which one is better.

Back