Fitting a 54 tooth front chain ring

Mr Miyagi

Region
USA
City
OC SoCal
Cheers to my fellow Cheetah owners. My latest project revolves around swapping out the standard 44-tooth x 3/32" chain ring for a larger 54-tooth ring. After some research, I have discovered the vast array of chain sizes and crank configurations. Have any of you found a quick remove and replace solution to this swap?
Thank you in advance.
EBay Chain Ring-1.jpg

I'm guessing "Fat Tire Cruiser" and I are the only ones that want a bigger chain ring.

Well hope all is well with you "Fat Tire Cruiser"
I found this unit and will install after my new suspension fork is mounted and return with feedback....

56T Alloy Chainring
170mm Alloy Crank
Pedal Spindle: 9/16″
Chain Compatibility: 1/2″ x 3/32″

20200924_153534.jpg

Cheers!!

Originally Sam from Electric Bike Center suggested a 54T but I could only find a 56T. It is a large number of teeth and I haven't yet mounted it. I'm pretty sure I'll need extra chain as well. We will see if I lose bottom end climbing ability but I mainly just cruise the flatness of the SoCal coastal beach areas.

I'm guessing "Fat Tire Cruiser" and I are the only ones that want a bigger chain ring.

Well hope all is well with you "Fat Tire Cruiser"
I found this unit and will install after my new suspension fork is mounted and return with feedback....

56T Alloy Chainring
170mm Alloy Crank

View attachment 66961

Cheers!!

How is that suspension fork coming??
Got it On the bike yet?

With both crank sets laying on a flat surface (new & original) check the spacing of the crank arm to chainring. I found a big difference here. There may not be enough space for the chain guard if you use it and the alignment of the chain to the center cog may be off.
You may be able to move the chainring to the opposite side of the crank arm mount.

Very nice work chip!!
Greetings fellow Cheetah riders. Glad to see some post on larger chainrings. Still at the top of my wish list for my bike. Wondering how the 56t ring is working out? Any other bolt on applications found. It really looks big compared to stock. Chain guard have to go? Mr Miyagi your tank came out awesome! Love the flames! Is your bike back together, forks and all? Admire all your work. First class as always.

Chipgibbs, SBC 46t crank have a specific part number? Have you changed to a larger chainring? Looks like a potential option. Thanks for the input. Best regards.

Attachments

• 20200920_115904.jpg
    20200920_115904.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
The "State Bicycle Co." crank is at https://www.statebicycle.com/collec...e-bicycle-co-fixed-gear-single-speed-crankset

Note the chainring it comes with is 1/8" and you need a 3/32" to be compatible with the Cheetah. I have'nt changed to a larger ring. I don't think you could use anything larger than 48 or 50 tooth.
Thanks for the link and information on the SBC crank set. Do I understand correctly you changed the 1/8" chainring it came with to a 46t 3/32" , seeing it installed in the photo? Does the 46t give you better cadence at speed? Thanks!

Right, The 46 is just about the limit in assist mode fast as you can pedal. The motor only will assist up to a certain rpm so you really can't
go much faster than about 28 pedaling unless you have a down hill or wind at your back. I have been 34 mph on this bike down hill (big Hill).
on flat level ground, if you really push, you can get to about 29 or 30 for a bit.

I've finally mounted my 56T Alloy Chainring on the Cheetah and the first test ride was simply amazing! I can crank it up to 32mph in 7th with the throttle pinned out of the seat cranking on flat ground and
still have the bottom end to climb some fairly good inclines with my moto-head mountain bike buddies!! I have not added any additional chain yet so there is much less chain flop
when traversing bumpy terrain. I'm much too old to moto with these younger guys with this 75lbs cruiser bike but they were all blown away that I could hang with them for as long as I did.
I think it looks bitchen. The object of this mod is not to achieve Bonneville top speeds but to slow the spin in top gear as I really just enjoy an easy relaxing time cruising the coast with this very heavy e-bike.

Ordering information for those interested;
Bike Crank Set - Silver
Visit the ELECTRIC BIKE Co. EST. 2014 Store
56T Alloy Chainring
170mm Alloy Crank
https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-BIK...TBZZF09QCF8&psc=1&refRID=WDWA7G3ERTBZZF09QCF8

XjIuNGl.jpg

Great information! Thanks for the specs and ordering information. Does it take any special tools to install? Did you have to move the chainring to the other side of the crank as previously suggested?
Is modifying the chain guard to fit a possibility or chainring simply too large?
I'm not necessarily after more speed either, but more of a work out on flat roads. I currently top out at 26 mph, confirmed by the radar speed check sign in the neighborhood. Seems plenty fast on our poorly maintained roads around here. Looking at some street tires as well, Origin8 Supercells possibly.
Would love to see updated photos of your bike with the painted flames and new forks. Happy Holidays, FTC

Hey there fellow cruiser, It takes a crank puller that threads into the crank assembly and then you turn the blue handle to push the crank arms off the bottom bracket very cool tool!
Park Tool CCP-44 Crank Puller Bike Tool Splined Cranks Shimano Octalink ISIS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-...002694&hash=item43fd6e3b61:g:OesAAOSw7rdafxKc

The chainring comes mounted on the correct side. I may fab a chain guide but for now it looks so “bobber bitchen” without one.
I am thinking about these tires “Bicycle FAT Tire Slick 26" x 4.0” from Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-FA...uiser-Bikes-New/392527150286?var=661511956424

I took a trip over the bars on my dirtbike trying to keep up with the kids a while back and have just recently recovered enough to return to my machine shop so tomorrow is the first of many days carving my upper & lower triple clamps for the Cheetah. Man, I can’t wait either!! Stay healthy and safe!

Attachments

• 20201121_174137.jpg
    20201121_174137.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 20201121_174011.jpg
    20201121_174011.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Smooth Tires.jpg
    Smooth Tires.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 362
Ouch! No fun doing a header over the bars, oh my! Not as resilient as we used to be.
Thanks for the tool link, kind of what I thought and very helpful moving forward with this project!
Funny the Origin8 Supercells I'm looking at on Amazon have almost identical tread patterns as the Slicks on eBay. The white walls well look great on your bobber if going with those. I would be constantly cleaning them being a neat freak detailer. Be safe and don't try keeping up with the kiddies, lol. 😁👍🙏 Best regards.

Attachments

• 20201121_192618.jpg
    20201121_192618.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 20201121_192740.jpg
    20201121_192740.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 352
Yeah, no more "flying W's" for this ole fart! I think slicks would be super smooth for pavement pounding but there are times
I strap my Cheetah to the back of our coach and take it camping. Riding along the beach with a few less pounds of air in the
stock tires seems to work very well.
I did ponder the white walls after seeing the "The Rat" from Wicked Thumb but growing up in SoCal in the 60's & 70's, white
wall tires were not as cool as they are today. I guess in a way I'm somewhat stuck in the past... plus, one of my chores was to
brush mom & dad's white wall tires with Comet during "Car Wash Day"

Attachments

• 98D9BED1-8E6B-4559-91A6-DC8EBA2DE953 (1).jpeg
    98D9BED1-8E6B-4559-91A6-DC8EBA2DE953 (1).jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 364
Season's Greetings fellow cruisers,

After the installation of the suspension fork and reassembly, I took her for a quick test ride in the middle school parking lot and was not able to wind her back up to the previous 32mph. Very disappointed, I returned to the garage, completely tore down the bike, repacked bearings, reinstalled the old rigid fork tubes, aired up the tires to a very hard 35psi., rode back to the parking lot and again could only muster a 26.5mph run. Bummed out!! My daughter suggested I reinstall my forks, load the bikes into the truck and return to the exact spot where we attained the top speed run. Looking back, I hadn’t realized this huge parking lot is at a slight downward slant allowing the bike to again hit the 31.5mph top end. So in conclusion, the larger front crank set will not increase the top end speed on flat ground but will allow a slower crank speed in 7th. gear cruising on the flats. May be looking forward to a 1500watt rear hub drive conversion...!
"Jus need more power"

CtdoQHl.jpg

1500 watts will get you over 30 and then some... 😁 Looking good Miyagi!
I just ordered a 52t crankset and new pedals. Hope that's a good number for better cadence with overall cruising and a better workout. Ordered some grips too.
Don't be giving me any ideas about more speed and mega watts! Happy Holidays! 🚲🎄🥂
s-l400(7).jpg
81+Xhrj77nL(1).jpg

Gents, the motor only has so much to give. Increasing the chainring size only allows you to catch up to the motors output. If you want to go faster, you will need to increase the motor output or put more ass into it. The crank won't do it for you.

Back