First Time Battery Use

Neil2018

Hi,

I just received my new Stromer ST2. The instructions on the battery state I do not have to empty the battery for each charge. However, somewhere else in the instructions they talk about running the battery completely down the first 3 times. I am not sure exactly how I will be able to do this as I could get stranded... Also their instructions state not to even run the battery all the way down.

Finally, I want to make sure my dealer was honest with me. The assured me this was the latest model, but I am not sure it really is. Can you tell me how I can tell if my new ST2 is a 2018 model?

Thanks
Neil

The ST2 hasn't changed since 2015. Only the firmware gets updated but the hardware is same. The new Omni will be released in June and that can be retrofitted to your bike.

The instructions on the battery state I do not have to empty the battery for each charge. However, somewhere else in the instructions they talk about running the battery completely down the first 3 times. I am not sure exactly how I will be able to do this as I could get stranded... Also their instructions state not to even run the battery all the way down.

I do not own a Stromer, but I looked at the manual. I did not see anything referring to completely discharging the battery three times, but there is a passage about battery storage:

"Store the battery in a dry and well-ventilated place. A room temperature of approx. 20 °C is optimal to prevent loss of capacity. Only use the battery for riding the Stromer in cold conditions. Store it in a warm environment, which increases the range. Ensure that the Stromer is switched off when you want to store your battery in your bike. Check its charging level approx. every 4– 8 weeks and recharge it as required.
Store the battery with a battery charging state of at least 40% when you do not intend to use it for a prolonged period, e.g. during a winter break.
This is the most effective way of preventing deep discharging. Ensure that the battery is never stored in a fully discharged state, as this may lead to deep discharging and irreversible cell damage. Possible guarantee or warranty claims may then become void.
The battery must be recharged within 2-3 days after it has been fully discharged in order to prevent deep discharging."

Finally, I want to make sure my dealer was honest with me. The assured me this was the latest model, but I am not sure it really is. Can you tell me how I can tell if my new ST2 is a 2018 model?

At a minimum, the serial number should show the date of manufacture. You could also look at the battery; there should be a date code on it as well.

Some manufacturers put info in the serial number. Often under the bottom bracket, it could have MY2018 (model year 2018) in the number.

Thank you for your responses. I did check again on the battery question. It does mention the 3 charge to empty scenario, but I think I am going to just use the battery in a normal fashion and hope for the best.

I am due to receive my new ST2 tomorrow. Other than assembling it and tweaking it for comfort and charging the battery, are there any tips or tricks a newbie like me ought to know?

I am due to receive my new ST2 tomorrow. Other than assembling it and tweaking it for comfort and charging the battery, are there any tips or tricks a newbie like me ought to know?

Hi, it all went together very well. No issues except for not being able to turn of the headlight. Will hitting my first commute to work on Friday. Good luck with your ST2!

Hi, it all went together very well. No issues except for not being able to turn of the headlight. Will hitting my first commute to work on Friday. Good luck with your ST2!

I believe it is one of the latest firmware or the faulty button.
The new rule in EU expects S-pedelecs to have lights on for safety purposes and a bunch of other things like horn, reflectors in all kinds of places, mirror etc.

@Chuck E. Cheese

You may want to watch this playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTzWW5GDvsotbw8VCDASB84v4L8cOasDo

Chuck E
Seat post suspension was a game changer for my St2 . I have a Thudbuster LT. Best assesory I have added so far. St2's are Great bike s. Been spinning and grinning with my 2015 now for a while.

I believe it is one of the latest firmware or the faulty button.
The new rule in EU expects S-pedelecs to have lights on for safety purposes and a bunch of other things like horn, reflectors in all kinds of places, mirror etc.

@Chuck E. Cheese

You may want to watch this playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTzWW5GDvsotbw8VCDASB84v4L8cOasDo

Thanks Ravi. I’d seen a few of those videos interspersed with others that showed up in a vague search for “Stromer” on YouTube. I’ve now watched ‘em all.

Re: suspension seat posts. I spent more than I wanted to on my new bike. I have no regrets, but money is tight. I gambled and bought a Sartori Animaris when I had a Juiced RCS on order and put it on my old hardtail mountain bike to check it out. I’ve never ridden on a Bodyfloat or Thudbuster, but the $50 I spent on the Amazon knockoff was well worth it. I have used tube-within-a-tube seat posts before and this one is heads and shoulders above any of those. At some point I hope to try one of the major brands, but for now I’m thrilled. The difference between it and the OEM Stromer seat post is significant.

Thank you for your responses. I did check again on the battery question. It does mention the 3 charge to empty scenario, but I think I am going to just use the battery in a normal fashion and hope for the best.
Do what ever you want. Just don't complain when your battery meter reads incorrectly. you should be able to figure out how to circle your house until it gets to 2% then go up and down the street till 0%

Going full cycle the first 3 time is pretty normal. I did it on my Stromer and my ultrabike

Instead of full discharge I went from 100% to 10% 3x

The ST2 MY 2018 comes with the M99mini:

1527527277028.png

The ST2 MY 2018 comes with the M99mini:

View attachment 22274
I think it was Ravi here or elsewhere who mentioned that the ST2s with the M99 and Omni-C were due to begin showing up in June. I was under the same misunderstanding when I got mine. In automobile marketing in the U.S. the 2018 model year cars began showing up in early fall 2017. I always thought was weird, though I have to say I prefer that to the current model year of Stromers showing up halfway through the year they're named for.

EDIT: Ravi just corrected me above.

Back