First things first

FarNorth

OK, even though I've put 1,000 miles on an ebike I feel like a total newbie here, but let me ask a question: Why is the first question about buying an ebike anything other than "Torque sensing vs. cadence sensing?" It seems to me this divides two distinct types of bikes and riders. I like riding bicycles, therefore I like torque sensing ebikes. If it was all about getting to Point B, a cadence sensor would be fine. Doesn't this sound like a good starting point for answering the question, "Which ebike is right for me?"

Not in the mind of somebody that prefers cadence sensing (with amperage limiting PAS levels, not speed limiting) and a throttle.

So let me ask you a question. What makes you believe that cadence is only for those that want to get to point B?

I like bikes too....

As another newbie in learning (just hit 350 miles) I have to say, I love my throttle. I find I like to leave my PAS low, gear selection high, and *feather* the throttle to push the bike while at a moderate cadence (for me must be about 70) , leaving a little for the zip feel of acceleration (max throttle) and conserving power. I can cruise at 18 without crushing my battery.

Why is the first question about buying an ebike anything other than "Torque sensing vs. cadence sensing?"
Because you might need:
  • A city e-bike
  • A fast commuter e-bike
  • A trekking/touring hybrid e-bike
  • An e-MTB (Cross Country/Trail/Enduro)
  • An e-road bike
  • An e-gravel bike or e-fitness bike
  • etc.
The primary function/intended use of an e-bike is the first question to be asked.

A pedal-assist only e-bike may be equipped with a torque sensor or a cadence sensor but it will not have the throttle at all. The "throttle/no throttle" question is only relevant in North America (and in Asia but we don's discuss Asia now). Europe, Australia and New Zealand don't allow the throttle at all. The "throttle/no throttle" is even not the secondary question.

My vote for "first call" would have to do with where you are buying it from/who's going to get their hands dirty if it needs work?

Making the call regarding buying a bike locally so you can get it worked on if necessary, vs. buying a bike on line, if not the first call, should darn sure be an early one.....

The whole cadence vs. torque is because most people are ordering online or don't have the option to test ride both in order to make a educated decision. I have 2 great ebike shops in my area, and have ridden both assist styles. It really helps when you have a knowledgeable dealer who ask the right questions and lets you take the bike(s) out for longer test rides. I love analog bikes, and still ride mine regularly but prefer cadence with a throttle for a longer commute. And about purchasing online. Most people (me included) look at price first and never think about after purchase support until its needed. I'm pretty handy with tools and don't mind taking a shot at fixing things.

ya when I was buying I researched what they were, but really had no idea what that meant as I had never test ridden the two side by side.

Maybe it just because my bike has a throttle, torque sensing and cadence do I feel I can give a real life opinion regarding these functions.
I have tried cadence numerous times and go back to the torque sensing mode very shortly as it just feels more natural like riding a traditional non electric bike.
If I am on a slight downhill in the torque sensing mode there are times when I am not even using any assist according to the watt meter. My assist comes in so gently I sometimes have to look to see if I am using any electricity. The torque sensing also eliminates having to change the assist level very much as it feeds more power automatically.
If I had to give up one of the three it would be the cadence function without question.

Maybe it just because my bike has a throttle, torque sensing and cadence do I feel I can give a real life opinion regarding these functions.
I have tried cadence numerous times and go back to the torque sensing mode very shortly as it just feels more natural like riding a traditional non electric bike.
If I am on a slight downhill in the torque sensing mode there are times when I am not even using any assist according to the watt meter. My assist comes in so gently I sometimes have to look to see if I am using any electricity. The torque sensing also eliminates having to change the assist level very much as it feeds more power automatically.
If I had to give up one of the three it would be the cadence function without question.

Would you mind telling us what bike you have that has cadence AND torque sensing? Thank you for your post.

Would you mind telling us what bike you have that has cadence AND torque sensing? Thank you for your post.

The one that comes to mind right away for me is the Juiced line up, which also feature throttles....

Following the threads describes the research process. First one has to discover what kinds of riding the various designs provide and what those designs are. As you do that you quickly discover the different kinds of motors, drive chain, classes, purchase and support options. And all of these are after being able to breathe again when you find out how much these things cost. (Mine was more than four times more than my analog bike. More than my last used car - a while ago, now.)

Regardless, it’s all fun.

Back