First ride with the Archon X1 upgrade!

I got the upgrade today. Thank you Pushkar. Now I have a new bike. I went for a short, 15 mile ride, and had a blast. The power comes on so much smother. The motor seems more powerful and the UCP seems much quicker. I’m turning 70 shortly and prior to the upgrade I tended to ride at approximately 15 MPH. Today, I found myself going along at 18-20 MPH and loving it. I can’t wait to take it on a longer ride to find out how long I can maintain that speed.

I think Archon X1 is delivering everything Pushkar said it would and then some. BTW, I had my controller tuned for 1000 watts nominal, 1600 watts peak and it gives me all the get up and go I can handle and it flattens the hills in my area. If you go for 2300 watts upgrade I think you’ll find yourself sitting on a rocket and having a blast. Get this upgrade, have fun and stay safe.

I got the upgrade today. Thank you Pushkar. Now I have a new bike.

I am just SO glad you loved it!

I went for a short, 15 mile ride, and had a blast. The power comes on so much smother. The motor seems more powerful and the UCP seems much quicker. I’m turning 70 shortly and prior to the upgrade I tended to ride at approximately 15 MPH. Today, I found myself going along at 18-20 MPH and loving it. I can’t wait to take it on a longer ride to find out how long I can maintain that speed.

I used to ride on PAS 3 with 1000W on the original controller, and now i have to tune it down to 2 or 1. I don't need the power - but it is there if i need it. Keeping up with traffic is literally a breeze!

I think Archon X1 is delivering everything Pushkar said it would and then some.

🥰 😻 😍 This made my day! Thank you for your kind words. It is an absolutely pleasure building you a bike that you love!

I got the upgrade today. Thank you Pushkar. Now I have a new bike. I went for a short, 15 mile ride, and had a blast. The power comes on so much smother. The motor seems more powerful and the UCP seems much quicker. I’m turning 70 shortly and prior to the upgrade I tended to ride at approximately 15 MPH. Today, I found myself going along at 18-20 MPH and loving it. I can’t wait to take it on a longer ride to find out how long I can maintain that speed.

I think Archon X1 is delivering everything Pushkar said it would and then some. BTW, I had my controller tuned for 1000 watts nominal, 1600 watts peak and it gives me all the get up and go I can handle and it flattens the hills in my area. If you go for 2300 watts upgrade I think you’ll find yourself sitting on a rocket and having a blast. Get this upgrade, have fun and stay safe.
Thanks for sharing! After your long ride, please let us know if you see higher efficiency.

How is the sound of the motor, better or the same?

Thanks for sharing! After your long ride, please let us know if you see higher efficiency.

I wish I’d kept notes on my rides before the upgrade so I could give a bit more meaningful answer. I did a 29 mile ride this morning, over a relatively flat course (just 40 feet of elevation). I biked in Eco mode, Level 1. My average speed was 16 MPH with a top speed of 34 MPH. I went out with a full charge of 58 volts and came back with 55.6 volts in the battery. This ride was one of my standard rides and I usually had no more than 54 volts left, prior to the upgrade. Obviously, one data point means nothing and the many variables that come into play make this a hard question to answer. I have the 21 AH battery so I have no range anxiety at all so I haven’t thought about efficiency. I give out long before my battery approaches 44 volts.

I wish I’d kept notes on my rides before the upgrade so I could give a bit more meaningful answer. I did a 29 mile ride this morning, over a relatively flat course (just 40 feet of elevation). I biked in Eco mode, Level 1. My average speed was 16 MPH with a top speed of 34 MPH. I went out with a full charge of 58 volts and came back with 55.6 volts in the battery. This ride was one of my standard rides and I usually had no more than 54 volts left, prior to the upgrade. Obviously, one data point means nothing and the many variables that come into play make this a hard question to answer. I have the 21 AH battery so I have no range anxiety at all so I haven’t thought about efficiency. I give out long before my battery approaches 44 volts.
My feeling is most people that ride level 2 or less with with a 52V/21A battery and this advanced controller won't need a second battery, would you agree ?

Wow.. just anecdotally that is nearly 10-15% efficiency out the gate. Did you also go at a higher clip ? That might account for not going over 25% :)

My feeling is most people that ride level 2 or less with with a 52V/21A battery and this advanced controller won't need a second battery, would you agree ?
That is a great observation! May be 21Ah is all you need even for touring. I can't wait for mine !

If we’re talking about 60-80 mile trips, I can’t see how a 52V/21AH battery with the new controller would let you down unless you’re carrying close to the weight limit for the bike or you’re taking on some significant elevation changes, etc. In general, I’ll say the new controller ups the power, the torque, the something, that might make you drop down to level 1 if you usually use level 2. If you do that, you’ll get even more range.

If we’re talking about 60-80 mile trips, I can’t see how a 52V/21AH battery with the new controller would let you down unless you’re carrying close to the weight limit for the bike or you’re taking on some significant elevation changes, etc. In general, I’ll say the new controller ups the power, the torque, the something, that might make you drop down to level 1 if you usually use level 2. If you do that, you’ll get even more range.
80 miles on one pack will be utopia ... even at 20 miles / hour average speed, that is nearly 4 hours of riding! If there is a way to just fast charge the battery every couple of hours when you take a break, you dont ever have to carry multiple packs!

We are talking Tesla territory! ha ha ..

@pushkar Now what happened to that fast charging ability? ;) Get on it dude .. pronto...

I am just SO glad you loved it!

I used to ride on PAS 3 with 1000W on the original controller, and now i have to tune it down to 2 or 1. I don't need the power - but it is there if i need it. Keeping up with traffic is literally a breeze!

🥰 😻 😍 This made my day! Thank you for your kind words. It is an absolutely pleasure building you a bike that you love!

I know exactly what you mean, I use pas lvl 2 mostly now.
And I have been risking longer distances I would never have managed on the old set up and power levels I used before.

Nice to see the feedback on the motor from other people, even tho it seemed like a night and day difference to me it is nice to hear that someone else thinks the same, lol just in case it was like a placebo effect before.

Mine arrived today. Not sure when I'll have time to install but looking forward to the efficiency gains. My Luna eMTB with M600 motor seems to be significantly more efficient than my Frey CC with Ultra (anecdotally seems I can go farther on the M600, even with knobby tires and smaller battery). Hoping that the new controller will get me closer to M600 efficiency.

Ditto for me. I'm anxious to get the engine back on my UC and take it for a spin. I probably won't be able to give it a proper shake down until this Sunday.

Hey pushkar, I'm trying to get the motor off my Frey CC and assuming I just need to turn these three bolts counterclockwise. They aren't budging at all. Just want to make sure I'm turning them the right direction lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_160147.jpg
    IMG_20200715_160147.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 498
Hey pushkar, I'm trying to get the motor off my Frey CC and assuming I just need to turn these three bolts counterclockwise. They aren't budging at all. Just want to make sure I'm turning them the right direction lol.

Need to turn the bike upside down (trust me). Then there is a plastic cover on one side. Remove that cover and you will see there are three nuts on the other side of the three bolts. Use a pointy object to push in the tab to release the connectors. Take a pic of the connections but they only go together one way on mine anyway.

Back