First post. I invite you to vist my introduction in the bike garage

Tippy104

Region
USA
For all retirees who have spent much of their lives trying to figure out which tool to reach for first; SAE or metric! Ebikes being relatively recent designs I'll assume the majority of fasteners used are metric. That's my assumption, please share your experiences.

Whitworth! You just brought me back to freshman year technical drawing chores of drawing threads using French curve and dividers. I thought that was a memory tucked away next to a sliderule.

I spent a rainy day yesterday tuning my front derailleur. My first instinct was to look for upgrades to my shimano TX30 shifter. Mind you that's before I even went for a test ride. The fastfire series is a candidate. Any ideas?

I got a cyst over my thumb joint from Shimano rear thumb shifters, followed by a SRAM thumb shifter. About 8 cm diameter x 1 cm thick. I converted to first sun twist shifter, then SRAM twist shifter. The cable broke on the sun twist shifter after a year. The SRAM twist shifter is 2 1/2 years old and the cable is fine. The cyst went away after about a year of twist shifting. I left the front shifter thumb powered. I don't shift the front often enough to damage my thumb joint.
The pivots wore out on my SRAM front derailleur in 3 1/2 years (~7000 miles). Would only shift only 2 of 3 sprockets however it was adjusted, with worn pivot holes. SRAM was not in stock anywhere so I replaced it with a Shimano front shifter. 1/2 year it is still okay. Note Shimano has 2 or 3 levels of product. The cheapest are designed to be big sellers, are made in ***** and have materials compromises. The 2nd or 3rd tier are made in ****** out of better materials. 2nd & 3rd tier last longer. The cheapest Shimano parts are for bikes that are ridden a dozen hours in their lives before they are parked in the rain to rust up. Go through the modernbike or universalcycle websites to spot the prices of various shimano & SRAM parts. Campanile is for fanatics; I've never owned one and never will.

Last edited:
I bought this Falcon in 1972. Rescued it from my son's garage and totally restored it. Mostly original components including Campy front and rear derailleurs (which still work well). Now I have too many bikes (Specialized Roubaix, 1988 Trek 1100, Cannondale hard tail mountain bike, and my new Nevo 3); but can you have too many bikes? That's a rhetorical question:)
IMG_3349.jpg

As I'm sure many of you have discovered, most metric wrenches will work on SAE bolts and nuts. Not a perfect fit, obviously, but 95% functional. Doesn't work in reverse, however (American tools won't work on metric fasteners).

Back