First flat tire on my Vado 4.0

PaD

Found my front tire flat this morning. ( 2000km) Didn’t notice anything on my afternoon ride yesterday.
I inspected the tire, Specialized Trigger Sport, carefully for a long time but only found a very very small stone stuck in the tire. I didn’t think that could have caused the leak but after removing the wheel and pulling the tube out I realised that the little sharp pebble had made a tiny hole through the tire.
Holy flat it was hard to get the tire loose from the rim. I don’t know how I managed at last because the tire was liked glued to the rim. Impossible to put a tire iron between tire and rim. After pressing and ”massaging” for a loong time it suddenly got loose and I could get the tube out.
The Trigger tire in size 47 does not have any puncture protection as far as I can see. I’ve read on the Specialized website that the 38mm and 42mm has something called BlackBelt flat protection but you don’t get that on your fairly expensive Vado.
That’s bad Specialized.
I’ve used Continental Travel Contact (and before that Contact 2000) for several yesrs on my regular hybrid bike and haven’t had a flat tire in years. And you ride on a lot of sh.. i the city of Stockholm. Glass etc.
I will definitely get tires with puncture protection for next season. My Vado will go into hibernation soon.
0E683249-1C5C-4138-B745-14D4D1AC1127.jpeg
I don’t have a garage or a shop ( live in an apartment) but in the basement I found a way to support/hold the bike with front wheel off.
22508F18-271D-4024-919C-347E04C2A098.jpegA21E6BA0-E1D3-4FC6-B27F-F5642EAFC23C.jpeg
The little black box in front to left is important when working in the basement. It’s a Blutooth speaker and you have to play music to keep the lights in the roof on:)

Last edited:
Found my front tire flat this morning. ( 2000km) Didn’t notice anything on my afternoon ride yesterday.
I inspected the tire, Specialized Trigger Sport, carefully for a long time but only found a very very small stone stuck in the tire. I didn’t think that could have caused the leak but after removing the wheel and pulling the tube out I realised that the little sharp pebble had made a tiny hole through the tire.
Holy flat it was hard to get the tire loose from the rim. I don’t know how I managed at last because the tire was liked glued to the rim. Impossible to put a tire iron between tire and rim. After pressing and ”massaging” for a loong time it suddenly got loose and I could get the tube out.
The Trigger tire in size 47 does not have any puncture protection as far as I can see. I’ve read on the Specialized website that the 38mm and 42mm has something called BlackBelt flat protection but you don’t get that on your fairly expensive Vado.
That’s bad Specialized.
I’ve used Continental Travel Contact (and before that Contact 2000) for several yesrs on my regular hybrid bike and haven’t had a flat tire in years. And you ride on a lot of sh.. i the city of Stockholm. Glass etc.
I will definitely get tires with puncture protection for next season. My Vado will go into hibernation soon.
View attachment 26630
I don’t have a garage or a shop ( live in an apartment) but in the basement I found a way to support/hold the bike with front wheel off.
View attachment 26631View attachment 26632
The little black box in front to left is important when working in the basement. It’s a Blutooth speaker and you have to play music to keep the lights in the roof on:)

I agree about the Trigger tyres. They seemed okay in the summer but as soon as Winter came I started picking up thorns and tiny fragments of glass I started getting loads of punctures. I had three thorn punctures in my rear inner tube at once one day. Both my spare inner tubes were damaged whilst being manufactured unknown to me and would not inflate. Couldn’t patch the old tube with the three holes. Had to get the cavalry out to take me home. I had read somewhere that it is always important to check new inner tubes to make sure that they are intact and boy did I learn the hard way.

Back