First EBike needed for work commute

mrcargo93

Region
USA
Need an EBike for a 18mile commute to work and 18miles home. Mostly flat but a few decent short hills. Ride starts as country highway changing to city streets. Would maybe need to ride on gravel shoulder for some short stretches. Battery removal for charging would be ideal. (Also to carry a spare in a backpack just in case.) It needs to be legal to drive on the road in the USA and without a drivers license. $2000 or less would be ideal. Any suggestions?

I've been really looking into the CrossCurrent S2 or X because it looks like it would be a good fit for my needs and a quality bike. But I don't really know anything about Ebikes or the market just going off what I see and read on the website.

Thanks!

Giant, trek, cannondale, gazelle, Reiss&Mueller Pedego have dealers, service, & low # of posts on "known problems" of the brand forum. Kona & blix have few complaints but have smaller market share. Pedego Blix & Canyon has a cheaper geared hub motor that makes chain last longer. Canyon has a torque sensing function that makes it feel like a Giant. The crosscurrent is a juiced right? 774 complaints today on juiced on brand forum, some complaints of bad handing of the problems. With juiced you are the service department.
Make sure the frame fits you. One size does not fit all. 26" up tires are more comfortable on bad pavement, and 55 mm (2.1") up tires also smooth things out. 1.75" up tires will handle gravel. For $2000 you would not be buying a long-life suspension. At speeds over 15 you would need a suspensions on less than perfect pavement.
A brand I left out is very popular, but I've seen 3 reports of cracked frames. That is the kiss of death in my opinion. I was stabbed by a fractured frame in 1957. No excuse IMHO. One person reported he had his cracked bike confiscated in the fall and they promised him a new one in the spring.
You'll need a package rack for at least a security device. Those U-locks are IMHO toys, well known to the perps. You'll need to stop some times for a coffee, an appointment, a necessity. See various lock threads.
I shop extensively, my $2000 Yuba carries 80 lb groceries easily. No electricity for $2000. I added that for $840. I have ~8000 miles on it. Great bike, but maybe you are not committed to the car free life. The trouble with shopping off a MTB with baskets, the weight in the back lifted the front & made the steering squirrelly. There are front baskets, but you have to steer it.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but you might want to up your buget a little. It's like buying just about anything so think along those lines like for instance tools you could go cheap junk something fairly decent or go high end . That last part not to be confused with just high priced.

I hate to say it but you might want to up your buget a little. It's like buying just about anything so think along those lines like for instance tools you could go cheap junk something fairly decent or go high end . That last part not to be confused with just high priced.
Is the CrossCurrent considered junk are there alot of bad reviews? Also I looked at Trek but unfortunately I don't have $6000 for a bike... Wish I did but I don't. 2500$ probably max I would go right now.

Look at what owners say on here. Reviews on websites are of new bikes possibly specially prepped. Owners post what they think here after the package is open & the new has worn off: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ed-bikes-products-help-solutions-fixes.13163/
I have no experience with juiced, and many people will be happy with their bike. Commuters use their bikes hard.
I have read the problems thread about another popular brand with lots of advocates. Numbers of people that replaced one spoke at a time. Getting wheels trued over & over. One cracked frame. Last week, recurrent flat tires because ultimately the spoke nuts had burrs on them. Inability to double nut the motor axle because the axle is too short. I run double nuts on my yuba axles to keep from checking them monthly or weekly. One motor with long enough axles cost a whole $38 (used).
Most sales leaders are cheap ****. Grey metal, not real steel or aluminum. Saves money where shoppers don't care & reviewers don't check. Sell it & run. Most US residents won't ride a bike 200 miles anyway.
I can't recommend a specific brand because I don't know what you weigh, what your height length of arms & legs are, whether you want to ride head down *** in the air flat back (efficient) or straight back & neck (me, high air drag) or in between. What is your desired speed? mine is about 9 mph, even if the the wind is 35 mph in my face. I think we can assume you're going to be mainly on pavement, but I don't know how many potholes and construction zones with gravel you have to deal with.

Last edited:
Is the CrossCurrent considered junk are there alot of bad reviews? Also I looked at Trek but unfortunately I don't have $6000 for a bike... Wish I did but I don't. 2500$ probably max I would go right now.
Six no but look at some companies like Giant see what there prices are like and availability of bikes to try to get a gauge on things

@mrcargo93, Why not pop a mid-drive in a decent new or used bike? A rack is much better than a backpack. No sweaty back, more comfort, better balance. It is easy to pickup a good used cargo bike for $650 but the new ones with a mid-drive go for $5,000. That is quite a spread. With a cargo bike you would not need a car for most errands such as grocery shopping. This one I made with a Bafang motor between the pedals. They also have good accessories. This one is a kid hauler.
1646958308428.jpeg

@mrcargo93, Why not pop a mid-drive in a decent new or used bike? A rack is much better than a backpack. No sweaty back, more comfort, better balance. It is easy to pickup a good used cargo bike for $650 but the new ones with a mid-drive go for $5,000. That is quite a spread. With a cargo bike you would not need a car for most errands such as grocery shopping. This one I made with a Bafang motor between the pedals.
View attachment 116411
Is it a fairly easy thing to do? What type of speeds and range can you achieve? Im hoping to average 15-20mph on my commute to work each day. its 18-20miles each way and would like to make it there and back on a single charge. Also like having a throttle option so that if I get tired etc I can let the bike pedal for me for a quick break without having to stop.
Im not a small guy probably between 240-250lbs. (hopefully this goes down with me starting to bike :)) A standard bike would obviously be the best workout but with the shape i'm in and the fact my right leg is made out of metal rods I could use the electric motor.

The throttle, speed and range are what stood out to me about the Cross Current X. But if I do find that the bike has a bad rep or at least one to not my liking I would probably look elseware. (I have come across numerous reviews and videos on the Cross Current X that seem to be genuine. Some are great and others have some issues mostly minor and fixable but still.) I would like to find a EBike with comparable specs to the CrossCurrentX. Even when looking on the well know brands listed here (Trek, Giant they seem to advertise less battery and range and don't have throttle either. Maybe I am missing it. or maybe its just the higher 6000-8000$ models that have that on the more mainstream brands.) Anyone know of any other EBikes that spec out close to the CCX in a similar or slightly higher price point. I am searching but haven't come across anything yet.

Just do a little research on it. And report what you find. I have been making mid-drives for five years. I had one of my creations at a friend's spanking new Trek store today and everyone was blown away.

Okay, aventon has kind of a middle track of complaints, 142. https://electricbikereview.com/aventon/level/
28 mph bike with throttle. $1599 2020. Many complaints are that the PAS level 1 is too fast & jerky, which may not apply to someone young that wants to go fast. Has dealers I believe.
Blix Aveny 27 x 2.25 tires, throttle, 12.8 ah battery. Those tires are for a big guy, the 18" frame is even too big for me. $1699 2021. https://electricbikereview.com/blix/aveny-skyline/ Blix complaint list 1. Internet only bike.
I like the Blix Packa stretch frame which can be bought with a dual battery option. https://electricbikereview.com/blix/packa-genie/ I like stretch frame because after 4 years & 8000 miles, my bodaboda left has not dumped me over the handlebars on my chin. 2 previous cruisers & 2 previous mountain bikes did so 5 times, on pavement, cause slight rise or bump in the pavement or gravel.
As you get older & richer, I predict you will want a bike with suspension more like the $3000 class. Going fast on 2.25 tires is okay but not comfortable.

Last edited:
Test ride as much as possible. It will help educate you and narrow the field.
And also budget for accessories; mirror, lights (if not included), and a suspension seat post really cushions the ride.
Looking forward to seeing your new ebike!

If you can find someone that actually rides locally and has been doing it for at least a year. Forums like this can be great but anybody can say anything and the same can be true of reviews good or bad. Take with a grain of salt as there is good info here but also opinions and salesman as well.

@mrcargo93, Why not pop a mid-drive in a decent new or used bike? A rack is much better than a backpack. No sweaty back, more comfort, better balance. It is easy to pickup a good used cargo bike for $650 but the new ones with a mid-drive go for $5,000. That is quite a spread. With a cargo bike you would not need a car for most errands such as grocery shopping. This one I made with a Bafang motor between the pedals. They also have good accessories. This one is a kid hauler.
View attachment 116411
Okay while I don't want to attack another person comments on here as far as the rack being more balanced that has to with how your setup not so much weather it's a pack or rack. In genral thou for heavier stuff the rack works better but if your commute involves a trail for example the pack genral works better. As far as the sweaty back for many with the right pack with Propper, ventilation and clothing it's not really a issue. However the rack might be just the ticket for some. why you might not want pop that mid- drive in is because you can't you may however be able to put it on the bike and that may be a compromise that might or might not be worth doing.

Thanks for the replies guys as of right now I'm probably going with a magnum ranger or possibly the scout. Unless something else pops up that I like I'll have it ordered beginning of April. I like the magnum ranger because of the 21Ah battery option. I should have no issue with 36miles each day even with a high assist level or using throttle alot.

And as for carrying an extra battery I don't think I will. If I do get an extra I'll just leave one at work and swap out each day. That way I can charge one at home and have a fully charged one at work too if it comes down to it. I don't think I'll need to do that though.

Can anyone recommend any good kits to carry with me on my bike for my commute. Found some flat tire repair kits on Amazon and they don't have alot to them probably worth carrying with me. I'm also not gonna use a backpack found a nice bike bag that I can mount on the rear rack just to throw my lunch and some minor things in.

Getting a second charger to keep at work is better than having a larger battery or second battery. I agree, the idea of commuting on a fat bike is better than the experience.

I agree that fat tire is not ideal but nothing else in this price range has "normal tires" and the larger battery/extended range other than the CrossCurrent X but Im steering away from that for now.

Getting a second charger to keep at work is better than having a larger battery or second battery.
^^^ this x 10. However you need to be able to have a place to charge the pack. I'm lucky enough to have a downstairs garage as the 1st floor of our office space is storage thats only half-used. So I also have a heater for the winter and two big industrial fans for the summer months to blow-dry me so I'm cooled off when I make it upstairs after changing out of my shorts/tshirt.

As for bikes, I'd kick the budget up a tad. As enamored of mid drives as I am, what you are describing doesn't necessarily require one. Plenty of people will disagree with this choice, but I have always considered the Sondors MXS - with its 48v, 17.5ah battery, front air fork, hydro brakes and 27.5x3.0 Maxxis tires - as a fantastic commuter well-capable of XC rides on dirt roads. the 25a controller and Bafang G060 750w motor can be overvolted if you want but that 25 amps can get you right up to the 28 mph legal limit if you please - the bike comes with intructions on how to legally convert it from a Class 2 to a Class 3 if you so choose. Including the throttle removal... be careful you don't forget to take that off.

Recently I decided I wanted a small-ish bike I could pop the front tire off of and toss into the back of my station wagon. I came very close to buying an MXS, finally, after poking at it since it came out a couple of years ago. Instead I found an Intense Tracer frame from roughly circa 2000 that I'm building into a short range runabout via a BBSHD I have waiting for a project. Its 12ah 52v pack should be capable of that 18 mile range of which you speak.

07.jpg

Back