First E-bike (Used vs New): Specialized used vs <$1k new

yash

Hi experts,

I'm buying my first ebike. I'm not patient to wait for Aventon 350 so I will buy this weekend and I need your help to choose.
About me: first bike, 5'11, 175 lbs. late 30s
Why ebike: commuting to work with a bagpack for 5 miles each way (car replacement) and weekend leisure rides. Not much hills but sometimes bumpy paves
What is important: smooth ride, easy on posture, easy on knees, fun to ride so I keep riding it, being able to switch to bike only mode (0 assist) (normal bike)

My options based on my budget (sorted based on my naive judgment) are these:
1) Used 2014 Specialized Turbo quite clean and in a good condition for $900
2) New Genze (on sale) for $900 (MSPR: $1599, $700 off)
3) Ancheer/Acechin (on Amazon) for $700
4) Ride1up Roadster Ghost for ~$1000
5) Ecotric Fat Tire MB (on Amazon) for $900

I'm feeling 2014 Specialized Turbo is the logical choice but I might be totally wrong. What do you think? What should I go for? Also I know there are tons of better ebikes out there but I want to stay below $1000. Thanks for your reply in advance.

I can't comment on your list--I am not an expert on the ebike variety that is out there, only on my own bike. A couple of things to keep in mind--used bikes don't come with a warranty unless you buy it from a shop that will provide one. If you are considering used, make sure to take a good, long, test-ride, at least as long as you intend to ride the bike each day. As for the online bikes listed, things break. Parts need replacing. A cheap bike isn't cheap if it breaks and you can't get it fixed. How long do you hope to ride the bike? One year? Two years? Longer? Will support be there if you need it? These are important questions to consider. My dad bought a cheap Amazon bike and though he is happy, it does not have a smooth ride--the PAS kicks in only at one speed--too fast. He rides it by pedaling and using the throttle when needed. That said, he's happy with it because he uses it very lightly and he is an electrical engineer, so he is comfortable fixing glitches that come up. I think, though, that if he'd test-ridden the bike he might have picked something else.

I think you’re setting yourself up for some frustration with that list of low end internet supplied bikes. You will be required to be the electrical troubleshooter and mechanic. You should plan on doubling the price of the 2014, at least. It would be nice if we knew the mileage to give better advice. Hopefully that is through a Specialized dealer as it will probably need a new battery pack and drivetrain parts.

Thanks for your reply. The specialized bike has 2500 miles on it. I am buying it off craigslist and I have access to bike shops easily to fix few things if needed. They are even willing to install or service my bike for free. I know 2500 is a lot of miles. However my thought was that a used specialized is better than a new Amazon ebike.

For a new one seems like Genze offers a good value based on the discount. I’m quite puzzled and not too sure yet specially because it is my first bike.

I’m thinking of riding in my first bike for a year or two and potentially upgrade if it seems to be my thing for longterm. I also learned in life that I can’t decide if it is my thing based on few tries so I’m going to own a cheaper fit for few years before investing in a long lasting primium brand. It was the same for my on cars. I started with a used Korean brand and now I drive a German car.

I have support from my local bike shop. I can rely on that heavily so I’m not worried about the support much. Since I don’t commute for more than 10 miles a day (5 days) with the support I get, what would be the best choice?

Also I’m not a biker and this will be my first bike after years. I used to bike in Amsterdam to go to work but since I moved to North America I never owned a bike. That is why the smooth ride and comfort is quite important. Ideally I’d like to get my workout or cardio out of it as well.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I hope someone with 2014 specialized can comment on this.

Thanks for your reply. The specialized bike has 2500 miles on it. I am buying it off craigslist and I have access to bike shops easily to fix few things if needed. They are even willing to install or service my bike for free. I know 2500 is a lot of miles. However my thought was that a used specialized is better than a new Amazon ebike.

For a new one seems like Genze offers a good value based on the discount. I’m quite puzzled and not too sure yet specially because it is my first bike.

If you buy an e-Bike or any 'good' bike from Craigslist assume it is stolen, unless the seller can provide some, any documentation that links
the bike to the seller.

On an ebke 2500miles is nothing.
But stay away crom Ancheer crap.. most likley it sounds like you will buy an ebike with issues and down the line will soend another grand or so to have a reliable ebike. Is a common newbie mistake when it comes ton ebikes .

When you say support from your shop, ask them if they are willing to work 4-5hours straight on the ebike in case there are issues and get that in writing. You will thank me later?.
If i were you inwould increase the budget to 1.5-1.8k. Is much more expensive to loose the 1grand by purchasing an inferior ride prone to electrical/electronic issues.

Genze are selling their 100 series bikes, afaik these are new or lightly used, inventory clearance, assembled, inspected, and repacked in their Michigan warehouse so you’re probably less likely to encounter initial quality problems. Here are Courts reviews of the e102 step through https://electricbikereview.com/genze/recreational-e102/ and e101 diamond frame https://electricbikereview.com/genze/sport-e101/. You’re getting a Class 2 with entry level components but at least reasonable quality like a Shimano tourney tx 7-speed derailleur which is fine for a daily commuter, rather than the very basic 6-speed derailleur you get on other budget bikes, a Dapu brand geared rear hub motor is standard, Dapu are used by Pedego, Court said the 100 series had a pedal torque sensor which is nice for a budget bike, and at 44-46lb a Genze 100 is lighter weight than bikes from the likes of Ancheer and Nakto. 3 frame sizes to choose from and US based customer service. Of the bikes on your list I’d give them a try.

Last edited:
Genze are selling their 100 series bikes, afaik these are new or lightly used, inventory clearance, assembled, inspected, and repacked in their Michigan warehouse so you’re probably less likely to encounter initial quality problems. Here is Courts review on the 100 series https://electricbikereview.com/genze/recreational-e102/. You’re getting a Class 2 with entry level components but at least reasonable quality like a Shimano tourney tx 7-speed derailleur which is fine for a daily commuter, rather than the very basic 6-speed derailleur you get on other budget bikes, a Dapu brand geared rear hub motor is standard, Dapu are used by Pedego, Court said the 100 series had a pedal torque sensor which is nice for a budget bike, and at 44-46lb a Genze 100 is lighter weight than bikes from the likes of Ancheer and Nakto. 3 frame sizes to choose from and US based customer service. Of the bikes on your list I’d give them a try.

Thanks Deway. I was wondering if I should go for a specialized or near new Genze. It seems like you are with Genze.

Thanks Deway. I was wondering if I should go for a specialized or near new Genze. It seems like you are with Genze.

Yes, considering you can get one for $700 I think it’s a good budget ebike for a college student, urban rider, and parts should be available compared with the 1st gen Specialized. Seems a better bike at this price point than Ancheer or Nakto ebikes.

Back