First 280 miles with my new Trek Verve+: LOVE IT!!!

Joan from Maine

Hi all, and especially to Court, for helping me to identify what bike would best suit my needs. It ended up being an almost 3 month wait for the Trek Verve+, in low-step and in red; bicycle makers: women don't like black bicycles!!!! Make some in fun colors, please!! Red is not fun but the best I could choose. The $2,200 price-tag, Bosch motor, integrated headlights, relatively light weight for an e-bike although it must way twice as much as my beloved Trek road bike....I needed color, low step so I can wear skirts when I travel during work....this bicycle met the goals. I live in a very HILLY part of western Maine, in the foothills to the White Mountains and I have a 46-48 mile commute (more hills: 46 miles; roundabouts add 1 mile each way). I was commuting 1-2 days a week with my lovely road bicycle, and my goal is to commute 4-5 times a week now that this amazing bicycle has definitely smoothed the hills. I am writing this on Wed., I received the bicycle a week ago Monday eve; I commuted T-W-F first week (Th rained the entire day); and have ridden S-S-M-T-W thus far (S/S on my touring bicycle). I LOVE E-BIKES AND THIS TREK IS GREAT!!!! The first day I rode in in Eco mostly, and when I sensed I had plenty of battery power, moved to tour for most of the ride home, and by Wednesday I was in Sport almost all the way (except for ends of biggest hills, when I went into Turbo). WOW, how excillerating (sp) to ride 19+ miles an hour most of the time, in Sport and 7-9th gear!! I feel 20 years younger! I think I shaved 20 minutes off my morning commute! I also lost 2.5 lbs the first week because I think the secret of e-bikes in hilly riding is that it is more aerobic than grinding in first gear up hills. I can keep a pace so much more easily on this wonderful tank!! It is a tank when not riding, as I said it is likely twice the weight of my road bike. I did a 41 mile bike ride this a.m. and riding on roads that are my beloved weekend roads.....it was so delightful to be pacing and smooth and the breeze..... My partner road the e-bike on Saturday, a 16 mile with a couple good sized hills; I road my road bike. It was kind of humid, and as I huffed up the hills, he paced up and left me in the dust. At a stopping, Rick said, "its like the difference between a car and a horse and buggy, back when cars began." I'm sold, I love it! I had my wonderful bicycle shop, Rainbow Bicycles of Lewiston, Maine put a rack and odometer on (the one that comes with the bicycle only records whole numbers, what is that about?!) and I purchased an Arkel pack. I have lots of reflective clothes and I daily hope people notice me. I do want my partner to purchase an e-bicycle soon so we can bicycle more together; Saturday we are going on a road where I will be able to keep up with an e-bike, that will be fun; it will be so great to ride with Rick again! So, for commuting and for sharing a passion with someone who is not at my pace, e-bicycles, and this Trek Verve+ is a wonderful investment.

Attachments

• IMG_6723.JPG
    IMG_6723.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 3,494
Hi all, and especially to Court, for helping me to identify what bike would best suit my needs. It ended up being an almost 3 month wait for the Trek Verve+, in low-step and in red; bicycle makers: women don't like black bicycles!!!! Make some in fun colors, please!! Red is not fun but the best I could choose. The $2,200 price-tag, Bosch motor, integrated headlights, relatively light weight for an e-bike although it must way twice as much as my beloved Trek road bike....I needed color, low step so I can wear skirts when I travel during work....this bicycle met the goals. I live in a very HILLY part of western Maine, in the foothills to the White Mountains and I have a 46-48 mile commute (more hills: 46 miles; roundabouts add 1 mile each way). I was commuting 1-2 days a week with my lovely road bicycle, and my goal is to commute 4-5 times a week now that this amazing bicycle has definitely smoothed the hills. I am writing this on Wed., I received the bicycle a week ago Monday eve; I commuted T-W-F first week (Th rained the entire day); and have ridden S-S-M-T-W thus far (S/S on my touring bicycle). I LOVE E-BIKES AND THIS TREK IS GREAT!!!! The first day I rode in in Eco mostly, and when I sensed I had plenty of battery power, moved to tour for most of the ride home, and by Wednesday I was in Sport almost all the way (except for ends of biggest hills, when I went into Turbo). WOW, how excillerating (sp) to ride 19+ miles an hour most of the time, in Sport and 7-9th gear!! I feel 20 years younger! I think I shaved 20 minutes off my morning commute! I also lost 2.5 lbs the first week because I think the secret of e-bikes in hilly riding is that it is more aerobic than grinding in first gear up hills. I can keep a pace so much more easily on this wonderful tank!! It is a tank when not riding, as I said it is likely twice the weight of my road bike. I did a 41 mile bike ride this a.m. and riding on roads that are my beloved weekend roads.....it was so delightful to be pacing and smooth and the breeze..... My partner road the e-bike on Saturday, a 16 mile with a couple good sized hills; I road my road bike. It was kind of humid, and as I huffed up the hills, he paced up and left me in the dust. At a stopping, Rick said, "its like the difference between a car and a horse and buggy, back when cars began." I'm sold, I love it! I had my wonderful bicycle shop, Rainbow Bicycles of Lewiston, Maine put a rack and odometer on (the one that comes with the bicycle only records whole numbers, what is that about?!) and I purchased an Arkel pack. I have lots of reflective clothes and I daily hope people notice me. I do want my partner to purchase an e-bicycle soon so we can bicycle more together; Saturday we are going on a road where I will be able to keep up with an e-bike, that will be fun; it will be so great to ride with Rick again! So, for commuting and for sharing a passion with someone who is not at my pace, e-bicycles, and this Trek Verve+ is a wonderful investment.

My wife also recently got the Trek Verve+ reddish orange in colour. She loves it and she recently purchased the Trek rr rack with the quick release trunk bag, We do a lot of group ridding and the flashing rr light was a problem for some following behind. Our trek store was able to do a software update and she can now turn the lights on or off.

My wife has the Verve+ also, and uses it as a daily commuter, about 14 miles roundtrip.

@Jim Boate How did the trek store do the update? What did you ask them to do? Can the front light be changed to turn off/on also? Thanks.

We asked them to gives the option of having the lights on or off. The store had an employee whose was Bosch certified, with out that the store would not have been able to do the software update. The update allows the user to have the lights (both frt and rr together) on or off. This also prolongs battery life according to a Trek engineer.

Good read. I’m seriously considering the Verve for my hilly commute. My commute is 15-17 miles one way or 32 miles round trip. Also like to just cruise around the neighborhood. I’m pretty slow on my steel road bike. I only average 10-12 mph. I’m hoping an ebike will help with the wind and hills. I’m worried the Verve will be under powered for my 200 lbs. and hills. I would love to get my average speed up a little and not feel so tired at the end of a ride.

I got a Verve+ in the coral color. I asked the store to install my Jones H-bar handlebars, and a rear rack. I have to carry a laptop, so am using panniers.

My commute is 14.5 miles each way. Due to rain and workload, I did not commute very many times during Nov - Dec 2018. My average speed on commute is 13.8 - 14.2 to work, and slower on the way home. I intend to use lower assistance and work more on the way home. My route has 900 ft elevation gain and max 8% grade, and I weigh ~ 160. My average speed on my road bike is 11 - 12.5mph.

Next week is looking dry!

I got a Verve+ in the coral color. I asked the store to install my Jones H-bar handlebars, and a rear rack. I have to carry a laptop, so am using panniers.

My commute is 14.5 miles each way. Due to rain and workload, I did not commute very many times during Nov - Dec 2018. My average speed on commute is 13.8 - 14.2 to work, and slower on the way home. I intend to use lower assistance and work more on the way home. My route has 900 ft elevation gain and max 8% grade, and I weigh ~ 160. My average speed on my road bike is 11 - 12.5mph.

Same here. Jones bar and rear rack. I’ve now got over 100 miles on the Verve and I love this bike. Seems like a really solid package Trek has put together for a reasonable price. I made a 14 mile commute to the store today and averaged 16 mph. I normally average 13 mph on the Verve but the weather was outstanding today. I can’t wait to start commuting to work this year.

Congratulations on your new bike... here is the full review on EBR.

Summary
  • A versatile city electric bike with sturdy paint-matched aluminum fenders, a bright and aimable headlight as well as a flashing backlight (both are powered by the main battery), and mounting points for a bottle cage and rear rack
  • Surprisingly comfortable, the wider tires provide cushion and stability, the saddle and suspension seat post reduce back pain, and the adjustable angle riser stem works perfectly with the swept back handlebars and ergonomic grips
  • The most affordable electric bike model from Trek, it comes in three fun colors, two frame styles (high-step and step-thru), and three sizes each for optimal fit, hydraulic disc brakes require less hand strength and have adjustable-reach levers for smaller hands
  • Uses the proven Bosch Powerpack 400 battery (the mount is compatible with the Powerpack 500), smaller Purion display is simple and durable but not removable, compact portable charger, efficient Active Line motor with shift detection

1573320182077.png

Congratulations on your new bike... here is the full review on EBR.

Summary
  • A versatile city electric bike with sturdy paint-matched aluminum fenders, a bright and aimable headlight as well as a flashing backlight (both are powered by the main battery), and mounting points for a bottle cage and rear rack
  • Surprisingly comfortable, the wider tires provide cushion and stability, the saddle and suspension seat post reduce back pain, and the adjustable angle riser stem works perfectly with the swept back handlebars and ergonomic grips
  • The most affordable electric bike model from Trek, it comes in three fun colors, two frame styles (high-step and step-thru), and three sizes each for optimal fit, hydraulic disc brakes require less hand strength and have adjustable-reach levers for smaller hands
  • Uses the proven Bosch Powerpack 400 battery (the mount is compatible with the Powerpack 500), smaller Purion display is simple and durable but not removable, compact portable charger, efficient Active Line motor with shift detection

View attachment 41218
Unfortunately for 2020 the new one looks like a moped

Hi Esther,
I hope you are doing well and still enjoying your Verve+. I was wondering if you recall which Jones bars you went with and whether or not you had to get new cables or brake lines installed in order to make the Jones bars fit. Reviewing the Jones site, it appears the bars come in two different lengths and with or without a 2.5" rise. Many thanks and happy riding!
Gabriel

Same here. Jones bar and rear rack. I’ve now got over 100 miles on the Verve and I love this bike. Seems like a really solid package Trek has put together for a reasonable price. I made a 14 mile commute to the store today and averaged 16 mph. I normally average 13 mph on the Verve but the weather was outstanding today. I can’t wait to start commuting to work this year.

Hi Tim,
I hope you are doing well and still enjoying your Verve+. I was wondering if you recall which Jones bars you went with and whether or not you had to get new cables or brake lines installed in order to make the Jones bars fit. Reviewing the Jones site, it appears the bars come in two different lengths and with or without a 2.5" rise. Many thanks and happy riding!
Gabriel

I’m using the Jones bars trimmed to 680mm. I had no problems with stock cables. You shouldn’t need a riser since the verve stem is adjustable. Yrmv

You sound exactly like a nice lady I know. Road biking background, has a 20mph limited uprigthish bike like cruiser. She is very fit, does around 40 mile roundtrip everyday. The only problem was her bike did not have torque sensor hence once she tried my bike she loved the smoothness.

I have a feeling that you may not have had a positive opinion of ebikes while riding your road bike but now you realize that you can ride in an upright position, still have a good workout, ride commute more frequently and have lots of fun. Also torque sensor makes the experience similar to a normal bike.

Enjoy your rides for many many miles. (Btw I assume your commute is 48 miles roundtrip which is impressive, if it is one way I am amazed...)

Back