First 1000 miles on my 2020 Rad Rover

Gordon71

I’ve recently surpassed a 1000 miles on my 2020 Rad Rover Step Through and thought I’d pass on my findings. After watching lots of reviews I had narrowed my choices down between the Rover and a Ride1up 700. I had actually picked the 700 and placed an order. I then got nervous that covid might delay the order and the Rad rover was in stock so I canceled the order and went with the rover. That turned out to be a good thing as I really like the fat tires on rough Maine roads. The other thing was just after getting it new signs went up on my local trails that said no class 2 or 3 allowed and 20 mph speed limit. Now I can turn my Rover into a class 1 by just unplugging the throttle so I can ride it on the trails.

Overall the Rover exceeded my expectations when it came to handling hills and everything else. The only problem so far has been the headlight failed and they replaced it quickly. I’ve cleaned and oiled the chain a few times and needed to adjust the brakes once. They need it again but I have new pads arriving in a couple of days so I’ll just swap them out and adjust then. It will be interesting to see how much wear there is on the old pads when I compare them with new.

The bike shifts smoothly and easily and that has not required any adjustment so far. The PAS allows me to easily peddle up every hill I’ve encountered and I’ve not had to drop below 3rd gear. I generally leave it at PAS level 3 and just use 4&5 on the steeper hills. Overall I’m very pleased with this bike and enjoy riding it a lot.

absolute no problems prior to 1000 miles. Controller gave up at 1020 miles. Got a new one under warrenty. Outstanding customer service in my honest opinion

Attachments

• 1000 Miles 20201020.jpg
    1000 Miles 20201020.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 397
Don’t bother replacing factory pads at 1000, they last at least 3000. Some adjustments needed though.
My RR brake pads needed to be replaced at about 900 miles. I could have gotten a few more miles out of them maybe, but anyone who looked at the pads would have said replace them.

I ride hard and fast on rolling terrain. I'm about 180 lbs. I probably wear my brakes faster than average. I can imagine some riders could get 3000 miles on their pads, but pads are easy to inspect and very easy and cheap to replace. Check them and replace them as needed, not based on mileage!

TT

I live in a rural area so my brakes don't get hard use. Most stop signs can be approached slowly and 95% of the time I don't have to stop. I'd say 90% of my brake use is on the downhill portion of bike/walking trails.

This seems to be a pretty good picture showing when to replace your brake pads, new on top. You do not want the pads to get down to bare metal. There will be a lot of noise and wear on the rotor.
brake-pads-disc.jpg

TT

I had to replace my front pads at 1000 km (~600 miles) and I'm on the lightweight side (70 kg / 150 pounds).

Back