Finding an Ebike that checks all the boxes

TWBKR

I have gotten interested in Ebikes and trying to buy my second ebike. As I start to research them more, I see more and more features I want, then end up not being able to find all the features I want on one ebike. Maybe there are some brands/models I am not aware of that might check all the boxes, so hoping someone might know of one. Either that, or I have to give up some features, or wait until a manufacturer releases a new model with the features I want, or buy one and see if I can customize some of the missing features.

Mandatory features:
1. Must be a class 2, capable of throttle only, prefer at least 25 mph, but might consider 20 mph, if it checks all other boxes
2. Internal hub, e.g. Nexus, nuvinci, Rohloff for low maintenance and changing gears when stopped
3. Hydraulic brakes
4. mid step through model or maybe full step through, so easy to stand when stopped and getting on and off
5. smaller frame options or frame that will work with shorter person (am only about 161 cm/5'4")
6. Fenders and back rack
7. Front fork air suspension
8. Kind of an all road or commuter - Will be used mostly as on road commuter or day trips, but nice to be able to handle some dirt or gravel roads, so kind of an all road bike. Will probably want to use with some pannier bags on the back rack, when going to the store or some jaunts where I want to carry things.

Preferred features:
9. Cable drive over chain drive, for lower maintenance
10. Probably would be nice to have a mid-drive, so the motor can make use of changing gears, but can compromise on this if other boxes checked, but if I need an internal hub, then I guess that eliminates the rear motor drive anyway and would probably have to be a mid, as I would not want a front drive.
11. concealed battery built into the frame would be nice, but can live without this option, if all other boxes are checked) and nice if cables are also concealed and run through the frame, but this is not a deal killer.
12. Rear suspension would be nice, but not a deal killer, as I can maybe just get an aftermarket seatpost suspension
13. Want it nice looking, (obviously subjective), but I like more of the mountain bike look versus the typical cruiser. I like the Bulls LACUBA EVO E8 STEP-THRU design with the custom frame that conceals the battery. This bike checks most of the boxes, except it is not a class 2, cant use throttle only. Same with the Riese and Muller's, some nice ones, like the Mixte HS or Homage, but I think these are not class 2 throttle only.
14. Decent range, so good sized battery.
15. Not too heavy, so less than 60 lbs would be preferred

#1-8 are mandatory check boxes, and 9-15 are preferred, but negotiable.

Bikes that come closest, Optibike Allroad Pioneer Limited probably has the most boxes checked, but no concealed battery, no rear suspension, and not quite as nice looking, but looks to be the best I can find thus far.

I really like the looks of the R&M Mixte HS or Homage HS, but these are class 3 and no throttle, which is a deal killer. Or the Wallerang M.01x, but again only class 1. Eprodigy Magic Pro is a class 2, but no front suspension and dont care for the looks, as prefer more a MTB look versus cruiser.

Any other brands / models that people know of that check all the mandatory boxes and most of the preferred boxes? Thanks a lot for any feedback or suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! Are your mandatory features in order of importance? Not sure if you've come across this but maybe you'd find it useful to compare different bikes https://electricbikereview.com/compare/

Hi Angela, thanks. It was more in the order that popped into my head, but probably close to the order of importance, but given that they are mandatory, then I guess the order does not matter for the mandatory items. For the preferred options, not in any order, and reading about some problems with belt drives, and some difficulty in keeping the tension, then maybe chain would be acceptable.

Every purchase is a compromise, and, like friendships, we may find surprising rewards in unexpected places. I put a high value on the riding experience. Can you try some of the bikes that interest you? If one gives a better riding experience than another, would the reasons align with which boxes were checked? Maybe? Maybe not? It could be interesting to see...

Yeah I can't find the ideal e-bike either and even when I find the one that checks off all the boxes there will be a better one coming out next year.. I think this is like the early years of home computers. The technology improved by leaps and bounds and got cheaper in the process! (eventually)

Last edited:
Agree. I have the same issue with cell phones and other products with many features to consider and changing rapidly , so it is all about trade offs.

Yes, definitely a good idea to try some in person, as feel of the bike is very important and can better judge, but not always possible to test drive some, if sold direct or not many in stock at dealers in my area. But, would definitely be my preference, if possible. Thanks.

I know what you mean, TWBKR, for me paralysis by analysis! Let me tell you about the spreadsheets I've made trying to narrow down to the perfect ebike! And then it's time to wait for the newer models.

I'm guilty too.. My wife has agreed to getting ebikes and it's up to me to pick them out.. I've found several I think would be perfect for her but she either doesn't like the color or the style. She needs/wants a step through but we will be riding a lot of natural surface or improved surface only trails so I want her to have full suspension (or at least good suspension forks and a suspension seat post). The city bikes don't really fit the bill but full on mtb is a little too much.. Oh well, I'm having fun searching but get paralyzed after a few hours

Agree. I have the same issue with cell phones and other products with many features to consider and changing rapidly , so it is all about trade offs.

Yes, definitely a good idea to try some in person, as feel of the bike is very important and can better judge, but not always possible to test drive some, if sold direct or not many in stock at dealers in my area. But, would definitely be my preference, if possible. Thanks.
Hi TWBKR,
As you have probably gathered by the comments to your post, the perfect bike does not exist....well at least not when I was looking. At best your choice will be a compromise. Make a descending list of what’s important for your future ebike. For me, as I ride 50% of the time above the 25km/hr limiter, the most important criteria was it had to feel and ride as close as possible to a traditional bike....everything else was secondary

Last edited:
... it seems like a bunch of replies to this thread were somehow lost.

I think a fairly common mistake that purchasers of e-bikes (or regular bikes, or for that matter backpacking gear or ski touring gear) is that they strategize their purchase around the extreme cases and not the average case.

If you are planning to use your bike as a commuter bike but also might sometimes go ride on gravel on the weekends it might be that you are adding complexity, cost, weight, and limiting your selection choice for something that you are only doing sporadically and may not do at all. Like I said, a little bit of underbiking only rarely causes serious injury and is often fun. Just my $.02. It is your money, after all.

Thanks all. The Evelo Delta X looks interesting, but does mention the range of fit would be for someone between 5'6" and 6'2". Not sure if it would be a possible fit with the seat all the way down. So, might be a a little big for me. But, really nice that it can be changed to go 25 mph for off-road. The other option is the Aurora, but too bad it doesnt have the same offroad option to change the top end. Will keep these in mind, along with the Optibike Allroad Pioneer Limited.

True, sometimes I do maybe add in some features that end up not as useful or needed as I first thought. So, good that I review them again and think about which ones are really musts and which nice to haves are not really that necessary. Like chain drive is fine, and doesnt have to be belt drive.

I have an R&S Tinker with many (all actually) of the same requirements. The BOSCH motor is software limited---you can use a mod to remove assist restrictions. Look for torque and wattage ratings rather than "class" designations.

Thanks. Assume that is the R&M Tinker. So, smaller frame with 20" wheels. I would have to think more if I wanted to go with a smaller wheeled bike, but if I do, then definitely would consider the Tinker. How do you like it? Do you have the Nuvinci internal hub? How do you like that hub? And what is a mod, and where could I find one to remove the assist restrictions? Thanks.

Have you checked out the EProdigy Magic Pro? It has most of what you are looking for

MAGIC PRO specs
Frame Geometry-Frame Style Step Through
Frame Size 17”
Wheel Size 27.5”
Wheel Base 1155mm
Step Over Height 17”
Saddle-Pedal Length >26"
Recommended Rider Height 5’2” and up
Standard Configuration
Motor Power 750 Watts
Torque 120 Nm
Pedal Assist Levels 0/1/2/3/4/5
Throttle Option On-Demand Thumb Throttle
Display Panel Multi-Info LCD Display w/ USB Port
Battery Capacity 48V, 14.5Ah (696 WH)
Brakes Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes w/ Power Cut-Off
Drivetrain Gates Carbon Belt Drive
Gear Set NuVinci N380 Continuously Variable Transmission
Front Fork Suspension Not Equipped
Tire Schwalbe Big Ben 27.5x2.0
Fenders Included
Weight Including Battery 56 lbs
Estimated Travel Distance 45 ~ 90 miles
MSRP (USD) $2,999

It does not have the suspension forks. (Personally, dont really need it as I am not doing any off road/mountain biking with it)
You will want to upgrade the seat post and seat. I am 5'5 and found it a bit tall but went with an off market suspension post and soft seat and now its perfect. Its a class 2 and the motor does cut out as soon as you hit 20 mph. (Again, this was ok with me due to the limited places that allow class 3 bikes)

https://www.eprodigybikes.com/products/2

Back