Finally took my Rad Rover out for a proper speed run.

305_Rover

So this actually happened about 2 weeks ago, but I wanted to get some proper pics of the bike before I shared

I’ve recently purchased a 2018 Rad Rover and have been having entirely too much fun with it. I added a front and rear rack and have been using it often to sling burritos and sushi around town via uber eats as an entertaining side hustle.

This past 4th of July I got a call from my boss asking if I could help out with a last minute stage breakdown (I work event production) in Key Biscayne. For those outside of Miami, Key Biscayne is a small island town that’s is bordered by A county park to the north and Bill Baggs Cape Florida State park. To say this area looks like a tropical paradise is an understatement.

1531782051840.png

The commute was about 14 miles from my apartment. It normally would have been about a 30 minute drive, but google was telling me the drive was going to be 55 minutes. Knowing this area, I had a feeling traffic would be even worse with all the people heading to the park for boating and other 4th of July activities.

My Rover was all charged up and ready to go and I had a good feeling I’d be able to get there faster by bike. The city portion of my ride was a long straight line through the main portion of town. I put the bike on PAS 3 and was able to hold a consistent 22-23 mph.

The drive across the Rickenbacker bridge was a breeze thanks to the pedal assist, and the view was breathtaking

1531782097571.png

1531782115301.png

The traffic was moderate, but not too bad. Until I got to Crandon Park and there was about 2-3 miles of bumper to bumper gridlock. I cruised by all of them keeping my 22 mph pace until I arrived to the town which was totally blocked off to traffic. Police were diverting cars to…somewhere.

I didn’t keep exact time but my total drive time was about 45 minutes.

It turns out there was a 4th of July parade along the main road in Key Biscayne that had basically shut down the island. Right in the middle of the parade route was our stage for the announcers and the DJ. Because of course there would be a DJ, it’s Miami!

I arrived and got to work with a fellow coworker that was already on site and we got a good portion of the work completed ourselves. After 45 minutes or so, I asked if the other guys were on another gig. Nope, they were stuck in that traffic I had cruised by earlier. Another 15 minutes passed by and my coworkers showed up, an hour after my arrival.

My bike gathered plenty of interest and attention, but our focus was to finish breaking down that stage. After a few hours we finished up our work and it was time to depart. But this time, there was miles of cars trying to leave the island. Yet again, I cruised by them all at a leisurely pace and was able to bypass lots of traffic.

By the time I had gotten home I had ridden about 29 miles and was down to 2 bars. I plugged it in for a few hours while I relaxed at home. I ended up going out again and biking to South Beach to see the fireworks, which was another 15 mile round trip. I traveled about 45 miles total that day and the Rover was a pleasure the whole time.

Here's some pics of my bike in various stages of modification over the last month.

1531782244962.png

1531782301017.png

1531782400862.png

Nice write up and pictures! I also just purchased a Rad Rover and I'm very satisfied with the bike.

What is the cover over the battery in the picture?

Nice write up and pictures! I also just purchased a Rad Rover and I'm very satisfied with the bike.

What is the cover over the battery in the picture?

Hey thanks!

That is the 'Ibera Bicycle Triangle Frame Bag' (size large) sold on Amazon for $15. I cut the top straps off but many members keep them on, that bag is a great fit; it's quite popular with Rover owners.

Be sure to check out the Rad Power Group and Rad Rover group on facebook.

An EPIC writeup by a great guy! Thanks, Eric! You are amazing! The groups at FB are exclusive. So, please also post your thoughts here where all of us can read?

Not on FB and curious as to why the frame bag? Is it just a stealth cover for the battery?

Nice pics btw.

Used my wife's FB account to join the Rad Bikes Owners Group and there's quite a few RadRover riders that got the bag to conceal the battery. I just ordered one myself to attract less attention to the fact that I'm riding an ebike. Without any ebike laws here in Honolulu it leaves things open to interpretation, and I'd prefer not to be stopped and try to educate the officer about ebikes.

Yes exactly, to keep the battery hidden. Very few people are able to tell it's electric after the bag was installed. Also I like the space to store some extra zip ties, phone charger, rain jacket etc.

Yes exactly, to keep the battery hidden. Very few people are able to tell it's electric after the bag was installed. Also I like the space to store some extra zip ties, phone charger, rain jacket etc.
Did you simply cut a slit in the bottom in order to pull the bag over the battery and its mount as most seem to do, or did you go through the trouble of removing the battery mount and then remounting it through the bag? I guess the latter only requires a couple of holes in the bag for the mounting screws but one user on FB said he had to resolder the wires with this method. Sounds like more work than I want to do and I don't want to void any warranty with Rad.

I took the battery and the mount off and cut small holes in the bottom of the bag for the screws to go through, and then put it all back together. It's kind of tricky getting everything to line up, but not too bad. Now both the mount and battery are located inside the bag. I didn't have to cut any wires or modify anything. I made another small hole in the back for the connector to fit through. I'm not really sure why he had to cut and resolder his connector.

Awesome, thanks. One last question, did you use any blue loctite when reinserting the screws or did it seem pretty secure without it?

Does the Rickenbacker causeway bridge have a bike lane?. We crossed the Sanibel causeway last January, which has a one way lane, and the view was indeed fantastic, but I was too nervous with cars speeding by a few feet to my left to note anything other than my waist was level with the guard rail and it was 100 feet to the water.. They make for quite the hill climb too. We caught up easily with two roadies near the top, but we weren't going to pass them and they took off downhill.

PCDoctorUSA - I didn't use any loctite but it seemed plenty secure.

harryS- Yeah there's a bike lane most of the way, but it's not the greatest if memory serves correctly. The portion after the beidge seemed much better for riding. Still too many cars flying by way too fast on that route.

Back