Fatty street tire options

dgroebl

I have a fat tire bike that I'm street commuting on and I'd love to swap out the loud knobby tires for a nice smooth street tire. Fatty street tires seem to be a bit hard to come by so I was hoping to assemble the definitive list of fat street tire options. It would be great if people could post up their pictures and reviews of these as well.

Origin8 - Supercell = $75
https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Supercell-Wire-Tires-Black/dp/B012EIXCWI
also here is a review of them: https://fat-bike.com/2017/09/origin8-supercell-tire-26-x-4-0/

V Tire co. - Speedster = $60
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

V Tire co. - Chicane = $54
I wonder how these would compare to the Speedster & the Zig Zag

V Tire co. - Apache Fatty Slick = $120

V Tire co. - Zig Zag = $70

Alta Bicycle Tire (I can't find them on the web) - Duro = $59.99
https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3ZEXSH62XJNNAATKTY1D
Anyone ever heard of this brand before?

No name - P1215 = $69.99
https://www.amazon.com/4-0-Bicycle-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3ZEXSH62XJNNAATKTY1D

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,311
Thanks for sharing Rich! I'm currently running 26"x4" I wonder how a 26"x3" tire would compare. It would probably feel sportier would be my guess. I really like the isolated ride that my big cushy fat tires give me.

Veeco Speedsters here. They are very quiet and do appear to have low rolling resistance. I can pedal my 55 pound fatbike easily at 10-12 mph with power off. They are 26 x 3.5, and expand to 4" on my 3.5 inch rims.

Here is my Teo Fat Bike with the new rubber. 26x4 on rear and 26x3. 5 on front.

Attachments

• IMG_20190621_201008.jpg
    IMG_20190621_201008.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_20190621_200959.jpg
    IMG_20190621_200959.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,683
  • IMG_20190621_201026.jpg
    IMG_20190621_201026.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,723
  • IMG_20190621_201036.jpg
    IMG_20190621_201036.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3,905
  • IMG_20190630_092121.jpg
    IMG_20190630_092121.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 1,546
Hey thanks for the pictures! Looks like there is very little sidewall loss with the 3.5" tires. I definitely want some street tires soon!

What I find shocking is that people will use their fat tire ebikes on paved or concrete surfaces 90%+ of the time and they'll have knobby tires. I can only guess they do so because they don't know any better. Once you try a high performance street tire on an urban commuting ebike you will never want to see or hear a knobby tire ever again. There is no comparison but maybe knobbies make some feel more macho about their ebike...I don't get it because I don't think most fat tire ebikes are being used off-road.

I've ridden the Veetire speedsters and thought they were great but too thin. I ride in Colorado where goat head thorns can puncture any tire less than say 3mm thick very easily (I have literally hit patches on sidewalks that resulted in 10-24 punctures in an instant so no way I would ever buy another "light" tire for any of my ebikes).

My take on most of of those tires is that any of them less than say 1200grams is not a great ebike option just because more weight will be more reliable and puncture resistant on an ebike (I know the tire manufacturers have to make tires for riders that don't have motors but don't buy those tires for an ebike unless you know you don't have issues with flats).

I would also ???? any of the folding bead models which was most. A wire bead will never slip of a rim under hard cornering and I wonder if there is a risk of that with folding beads models. The Speedsters I road for a while were folding and they seem to perform fine and never had an issue with them coming off the rim but they were also almost impossible to get on the rim).

I would also like to see deeper treads for longer life (I'm sure the bean counters are never going to allow the OEMs to make deeper treads for ebikes but maybe someone can tell them to stay out of decisions regarding making a better quality product). I think a street tire wears up to a 1mm per 1000 miles and I think a good ebike street tire should last upwards of 10,000 miles so even hard core riders are not changing a tire but once a year.

Shwalbe Big Fat Larry would be another option. Also, if it's the noise that bothers you, you can run Surly Bud — they do have rather large pronounced knobs, but this is a front-specific tire so they are in the direction of travel, ergo, no noise — and some additional stability, too.

The only street tires I like are on alibaba. The problem is the only size every company offers is 20 x 4.0 or 20 x 4 1/4, and have to buy 500 tires. I do need two of this size, and two 26 x 4.0 or 4 1/4. One supplier is sending me samples of the tire in the photo below to check the quality. It is 20 x 4 1/4. They said I would have to pay for mold and buy 500 tires to have them made in 26 x 4 1/4.

If enough people are interested in this tread pattern, in either size / both sizes, I would be willing to work on buying the minimum order quantity for 20 x 4 1/4 and paying for molds to make the flame pattern in 26 x 4 1/4. I have other projects planned that will use four 20 x 4 1/4 tires. Also attached is photo of my quadracycle project that I need the tires for. I zip tied the rims to the frame to get an idea of how it will look. I have recumbent trike hubs that need to be laced into the rims. The quad is made from furniture grade pvc pipe and will have Bafang 48 volt, 1000 watt mid drive motor.

Attachments

• flame pattern.jpg
    flame pattern.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,640
  • Wheels small.jpg
    Wheels small.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 918
  • Frame Start small.jpg
    Frame Start small.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:
The only street tires I like are on alibaba. The problem is the only size every company offers is 20 x 4.0 or 20 x 4 1/4, and have to buy 500 tires. I do need two of this size, and two 26 x 4.0 or 4 1/4. One supplier is sending me samples of the tire in the photo below to check the quality. It is 20 x 4 1/4. They said I would have to pay for mold and buy 500 tires to have them made in 26 x 4 1/4.
If you're interested in specifically 20×4¼" tire maybe you can use this tire?
And Classic-Cycle also has plenty of 26×4" options.

I am looking for matching pattern 20" and 26" tires. I checked out the Street Hog III. It's kinda cool tire but I don't see same tire in 26 x 4.

The red fat bike in photo came stock with the tires shown. I bought matching 20" tires for my fat bmx on amazon back in 2017. I ordered more from amazon in 20" and 26", but was sent a different tread pattern that what they were supposed to be.

Attachments

• bikes front small.JPG
    bikes front small.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,078
  • bikes small.JPG
    bikes small.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,324

If enough people are interested in this tread pattern, in either size / both sizes, I would be willing to work on buying the minimum order quantity for 20 x 4 1/4 and paying for molds to make the flame pattern in 26 x 4 1/4. I have other projects planned that will use four 20 x 4 1/4 tires. Also attached is photo of my quadracycle project that I need the tires for. I zip tied the rims to the frame to get an idea of how it will look. I have recumbent trike hubs that need to be laced into the rims. The quad is made from furniture grade pvc pipe and will have Bafang 48 volt, 1000 watt mid drive motor.

Woohhh!!! That's a cool project!!! That looks like it will be an absolute blast! Can't say I'm a fan of the flame tread pattern, but hopefully, you'll get enough interest to help make your order!

Thanx for the compliment! I'm considering splurging on the Vee apache 26 x 4.5 for the rear. I've read mixed reviews about the tire, concerned about spending over $200 for two tires and having them blow off the rim.

I have been communicating with the manufacturer that made the tires on my fat bikes. They have ads for tires in the sizes I want (see photos below) but they say they don't make them in the sizes advertised :mad:

Attachments

• fat tire.jpg
    fat tire.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • flame tire.jpg
    flame tire.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • slick tire.jpg
    slick tire.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,251
Ken
I like the knobbies on pavement because I then have the option for superior traction if I want to get off the pavement in an urban setting, which I do frequently. I do appreciate a road tire and understand the bennies completely. You are right, I feel more MACHO with knobbie tires on my fat bike. Plus my wife likes me to keep a spare knobbie next to the bed at night.
Keep on spinning,
Franko

What I find shocking is that people will use their fat tire ebikes on paved or concrete surfaces 90%+ of the time and they'll have knobby tires. I can only guess they do so because they don't know any better. Once you try a high performance street tire on an urban commuting ebike you will never want to see or hear a knobby tire ever again. There is no comparison but maybe knobbies make some feel more macho about their ebike...I don't get it because I don't think most fat tire ebikes are being used off-road.

I've ridden the Veetire speedsters and thought they were great but too thin. I ride in Colorado where goat head thorns can puncture any tire less than say 3mm thick very easily (I have literally hit patches on sidewalks that resulted in 10-24 punctures in an instant so no way I would ever buy another "light" tire for any of my ebikes).

My take on most of of those tires is that any of them less than say 1200grams is not a great ebike option just because more weight will be more reliable and puncture resistant on an ebike (I know the tire manufacturers have to make tires for riders that don't have motors but don't buy those tires for an ebike unless you know you don't have issues with flats).

I would also ???? any of the folding bead models which was most. A wire bead will never slip of a rim under hard cornering and I wonder if there is a risk of that with folding beads models. The Speedsters I road for a while were folding and they seem to perform fine and never had an issue with them coming off the rim but they were also almost impossible to get on the rim).

I would also like to see deeper treads for longer life (I'm sure the bean counters are never going to allow the OEMs to make deeper treads for ebikes but maybe someone can tell them to stay out of decisions regarding making a better quality product). I think a street tire wears up to a 1mm per 1000 miles and I think a good ebike street tire should last upwards of 10,000 miles so even hard core riders are not changing a tire but once a year.

The only street tires I like are on alibaba. The problem is the only size every company offers is 20 x 4.0 or 20 x 4 1/4, and have to buy 500 tires.

For single purchases, I think aliexpress would be the place - although they might not have everything the same. alibaba is mostly for dealers and often has newer things not yet for sale to end users[/QUOTE]

Here in MN, those tires extend your riding into winter with some snow. Ideally, everyone should have a summer and winter/offroad set, but that gets expensive with hub motors.

We have the Rad Mini Step Thur's that came with the street tires from the factory in 2019, I see the 2020's come with knobies, I guess the buying public wanted the knobies over the slick street tire. I personally like the street tire over the knobies as I come from the motorcycle riding world both on and off road and I can make the street tires work equality well on dirt or pavement. I will replace them when needed with street tires when they need replacing.

Origin8 Supercell clone, Chaoyang Sand Storm... Very good tyre with low rolling resistance on my Radrhino and low cost price...

Back