FATHOM E+ 3 experience?

Had the bike for a couple weeks, loving it. Took it on my crazy hometrail which was fun BUT the 'walk button' did not work. I had to push the bike up a steep rocky hill and it did.... nothing. Anyone else experienced this?

Also, when I go downhill fast, the bikes (near the gears I think) makes a clonking sound. I don't pedal downhill but it still makes a terrible sound.

RideControl app will update the firmware, the walk mode is push walk button to initiate mode, plus-button activates walk assist.

Clunking gears means it needs a derailleur adjustment. They usually set them up too far from the cassette rings.

There is no motor cutoff for shifting, so you have to let up pedal pressure for shifting or your drivetrain will complain.

Had the bike for a couple weeks, loving it. Took it on my crazy hometrail which was fun BUT the 'walk button' did not work. I had to push the bike up a steep rocky hill and it did.... nothing. Anyone else experienced this?

Also, when I go downhill fast, the bikes (near the gears I think) makes a clonking sound. I don't pedal downhill but it still makes a terrible sound.
My 2019 Fathom E2 has the walk mode enabled, and has been since day one. Has saved my butt a couple of times.
Like @Browneye says try updating firmware, although I do not understand why it's not working out of the box.
Mine takes quite a bit of force to engage.

I did the firmware upgrade and now it works. It still makes some noise when I am going fast down hill, but need to go to the shor for that, won't do so until this virus slows down.

Did take the bike on some blue BC trails today, it surely took a beating but it really helps me improve my skills as I am able to go up challenger routes (especially uphill). Steep up hill with lots of rocks and even some small jumps... gosh it was so much fun

I - social distance - chatted to some people on the trail and none had notices I was on a ebike. I bet my butt would have liked a full suspension but my Fathom did really well.

I have had the 2020 Fathom for a month. Love this bike. i live in quite a hilly area and my intention with an Ebike was to extend my rides and tackle steeper roads. That has happened. I am no longer intimidated by steep hills in my neighbour hood, some of which are up to 12% slope.

i am not a technical rider so a hard tail for running errands in town and heading out of town on gravel logging roads this bike is great.

I downloaded the most recent app and firmware update about 10 days ago. So far the BT connection to the bike seems more stable, and on startup the SmartAssist function starts automatically.

for my first month I ran the bike on manual peddle assist. on manual I achieved ~0.6km per % battery over 350km of rides. Rides were 90% asphalt and 10% gravel road.

in April I will stick to SmartAssist So far my first ride of 25km my battery efficiency was 0.8 km per % battery. Very encouraging.

I have had the 2020 Fathom for a month. Love this bike. i live in quite a hilly area and my intention with an Ebike was to extend my rides and tackle steeper roads. That has happened. I am no longer intimidated by steep hills in my neighbour hood, some of which are up to 12% slope.

i am not a technical rider so a hard tail for running errands in town and heading out of town on gravel logging roads this bike is great.

I downloaded the most recent app and firmware update about 10 days ago. So far the BT connection to the bike seems more stable, and on startup the SmartAssist function starts automatically.

for my first month I ran the bike on manual peddle assist. on manual I achieved ~0.6km per % battery over 350km of rides. Rides were 90% asphalt and 10% gravel road.

in April I will stick to SmartAssist So far my first ride of 25km my battery efficiency was 0.8 km per % battery. Very encouraging.

Glad to hear you are loving it. I took it on some pretty challenging MTB trails and it still did great.

What is SmartAssist? Haha, never heard of it? Maybe I should read my manual....

Glad to hear you are loving it. I took it on some pretty challenging MTB trails and it still did great.

What is SmartAssist? Haha, never heard of it? Maybe I should read my manual....

Did you get a 2019 model? Or 2020? The former didn't have it for Fathom, Trance, Explore...it comes with the 6-sensor tech they developed. The LaFree was an early version with the 'Life' motor. The 'sport' and 'pro' got updates for 2020.

Did you get a 2019 model? Or 2020? The former didn't have it for Fathom, Trance, Explore...it comes with the 6-sensor tech they developed. The LaFree was an early version with the 'Life' motor. The 'sport' and 'pro' got updates for 2020.

I got the 2020 model...

So I enjoyed the Fathom for about 3 months... and I just sold it this weekend. There was nothing wrong with the bike, but I do not need it as a commuter anymore (situation changed). I was always taking the bike on trails and going to more advanced trails, and the Fathom isn't made for that. So I decided I wanted a true trail bike instead.

With the shortage of bikes currently, I figured if I wanted to do so this was the time. I was able to sell the Fathom in 24 hours for close to new, there was not a single used e-bike for sale in my area so there was a tonne of interest. Then, I went to the shop and bought their last Liv Intrigue e+ 1 Pro! So now I got a full suspension trail bike SO EXCITED. Shame it cost double the Fathom but man... is it ever nice. The brakes, the shifters, the suspension... wow!

Would still recommend the Fathom for a combination of road / gravel cycling. But not for advanced trail riding :).

So I enjoyed the Fathom for about 3 months... and I just sold it this weekend. There was nothing wrong with the bike, but I do not need it as a commuter anymore (situation changed). I was always taking the bike on trails and going to more advanced trails, and the Fathom isn't made for that. So I decided I wanted a true trail bike instead.

With the shortage of bikes currently, I figured if I wanted to do so this was the time. I was able to sell the Fathom in 24 hours for close to new, there was not a single used e-bike for sale in my area so there was a tonne of interest. Then, I went to the shop and bought their last Liv Intrigue e+ 1 Pro! So now I got a full suspension trail bike SO EXCITED. Shame it cost double the Fathom but man... is it ever nice. The brakes, the shifters, the suspension... wow!

Would still recommend the Fathom for a combination of road / gravel cycling. But not for advanced trail riding :).
Agree with your assessment of the Fathom. It suits my rides so far. But you got yourself a killer machine, enjoy and congrats!

Congratulations, @smeer! You've got yourself a classy trail-capable e-MTB. The beautiful painting of the bike is a real bonus. You'll fall in love with the Intrigue as I fell with my Trance E+ 2 Pro that is the brother of the Intrigue (the specs on both e-bikes look very similar). The Intrigue will do anything you ask her for on the trail as long as you are not afraid yourself ;)

I typically only take my Trance off-road because the bike just loves it, although I also had a touring ride in a really hilly area (there are no hills where I live). I was able to climb very steep hills and get onto high speed on dramatic descents easily and with full confidence. As I cannot ride off-road everyday, I'm at least giving my Trance short local rides during work-days. I rode to our parcel locker yesterday, choosing a longer route. How I enjoyed riding through speed bumps at full speed!

Yes, the trail-class e-bikes are very expensive. Giant/Liv are relatively affordable and reliable. The dual long-travel Fox suspension is costly. The 1x12-speed Shimano drive-train doesn't come cheaply. Dropper post, premium 203 mm 4-piston brakes are worth every cent. Even the Fox thru-axles with Quick Release are very expensive! The latest SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2) motor is unbelievably mighty. And the tyres! Meticulously selected fat Maxxis tyres (different for front and rear) are afraid of no terrain and they are tubeless!

I congratulate you again! Many happy rides!

You only may find the saddle slightly uncomfortable and might want to replace it. The pedal selection is yours.

1592365511454.png

On my first hilly ride with the Intrigue's brother, the Trance E+

Last edited:
Now is definitely the time to sell an ebike if you want to make a change. There are just no new bikes out there for sale in our area - everything is sold out. It's quite amazing for such an area like southern CA - 22m people.
One guy I talked to in the biz, said there's either gonna be a LOT of riders out and about, or a LOT of resale bikes at a deal. Everybody came out of the woodwork for a bike in the lockdown.

I really like my Trance too. I like the way Giant builds a great bike at such a great price point. 👍

Congratulations, @smeer! You've got yourself a classy trail-capable e-MTB. The beautiful painting of the bike is a real bonus. You'll fall in love with the Intrigue as I fell with my Trance E+ 2 Pro that is the brother of the Intrigue (the specs on both e-bikes look very similar). The Intrigue will do anything you ask her for on the trail as long as you are not afraid yourself ;)

I typically only take my Trance off-road because the bike just loves it, although I also had a touring ride in a really hilly area (there are no hills where I live). I was able to climb very steep hills and get onto high speed on dramatic descents easily and with full confidence. As I cannot ride off-road everyday, I'm at least giving my Trance short local rides during work-days. I rode to our parcel locker yesterday, choosing a longer route. How I enjoyed riding through speed bumps at full speed!

Yes, the trail-class e-bikes are very expensive. Giant/Liv are relatively affordable and reliable. The dual long-travel Fox suspension is costly. The 1x12-speed Shimano drive-train doesn't come cheaply. Dropper post, premium 203 mm 4-piston brakes are worth every cent. Even the Fox thru-axles with Quick Release are very expensive! The latest SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2) motor is unbelievably mighty. And the tyres! Meticulously selected fat Maxxis tyres (different for front and rear) are afraid of no terrain and they are tubeless!

I congratulate you again! Many happy rides!

You only may find the saddle slightly uncomfortable and might want to replace it. The pedal selection is yours.

On my first hilly ride with the Intrigue's brother, the Trance E+

Yeah as soon as I got home I mounted the seat of my regular hardtail on it. That seat is super comfy. Not sure why on a 6500$, the can't put s decent seat on haha!

Regarding the tires, are they tubeless? I thought just tubeless ready.

Yeah as soon as I got home I mounted the seat of my regular hardtail on it. That seat is super comfy. Not sure why on a 6500$, the can't put s decent seat on haha!

Regarding the tires, are they tubeless? I thought just tubeless ready.
EDIT: Your tyres are tubeless:
Screenshot_20200617_081923.jpg

These are even lined with internal puncture-resistant armor. Rest assured about that. Tubeless tyres are great because you can inflate them to only 1.5 bar for maximum grip in difficult terrain.

Screenshot_20200617_082845.jpg

Also, proper fitting of the front and rear suspension is important. I hope you own a shock pump :)

Regarding the saddle, that is the only sub-standard item in the bike but I think Giant/Liv believe the saddle is so personal that any MTBer would replace it with their own choice anyway.

The bike comes with the RideControl One remote (no display) but that's very OK with the e-MTB. Less parts to break for sure and we have no time to consult the display on technical rides.

Last edited:
I was loving the bike for a bit there but I've been having some issues: the drop post cable malfunctioned and not too long after, while on a ride, the bike shut itself off intermittently. In the end, not turning on at all anymore! It's been in the shop for a week now with no answers yet. Bit disappointed for that to happen to a 6500CAD bike that is only two months old. Especially since I have all kinds of bike trips planned!

I ended up buying a 'regular' FS bike as well... as a backup haha (backwards to what most people do).

I was loving the bike for a bit there but I've been having some issues: the drop post cable malfunctioned and not too long after, while on a ride, the bike shut itself off intermittently. In the end, not turning on at all anymore! It's been in the shop for a week now with no answers yet. Bit disappointed for that to happen to a 6500CAD bike that is only two months old. Especially since I have all kinds of bike trips planned!

I ended up buying a 'regular' FS bike as well... as a backup haha (backwards to what most people do).
Rats...

Back