FATHOM E+ 3 experience?

smeer

Narrowed my search down to this model (FATHOM E+ 3 POWER) as well as a Cube Reaction Pro 500.
I will use the bike on my local trails and to commute min 15 to max 60km 2 times a week. I live up a mountain, so it is a climb to my home.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fathom? I know the suspension is kinda bad but I feel like it can be upgraded down the road.
What is the range like? What do you feel the power is like going uphill?

And, is it able to handle some trails?

Our guy here Dave Matthews has a Fathom which I believe from his posts he likes a good bit. Maybe he’s taking the weekend off, but if you look up his posts you might find some opinions, or he will probably pop up again shortly. He has a lot of nice pics of it in the where we ride threads

Ah, the other thread was deciding type of bike...this one on these two. I do think a hard tail MTB is a great option for you.
I thought you mentioned one of the dealers was going to add a second wheel set for you. What I would do if I was going to ride my MTB on pavement for anything more than a couple of miles.

Did you see Court's review on the Cube? Might help you decide.
You have a local dealer for each? Did you get a feel for preference dealing with either? For me, that's what I would buy on, cuz the bikes are more similar than different. Both are excellent bikes.

And yes, either will do your trails nicely. And with some road tires either will do pavement pretty well too.

To give you an idea, range on my Explore is about 50 miles on level 3. The trance with the PW-X motor, offroad, all level 3 with some 4 and hills, is about 30 miles. Either can be extended by riding in a lower assist level, and keeping the speed down. Most of us tend to ride them at the speed limit unless terrain won't accommodate it. So unless you're trying to stretch it's range, you just ride it to suit, plug it in when you get back.

One feature on the Trance I like is the 6ah charger with a button to stop at 61%, which is a 'storage charge' - where you want it when you put it away. The Explore has a 4ah charger, you have to turn it off if you don't want to charge all the way. It's best to store the batteries at 50-70% charge state.

I've heard of Cube but no personal knowledge, so I can't compare the two brands. But what I do know about Giant is they are the largest bike builder in the world, and you get a lot of design expertise and a quality build, great components, with a great company to back you up. If the dealer is any good it's a safe bet. I see Cube is from Germany - so you'll likely pay a premium for that. I don't care for the small front chain rings - they have pretty much done away with those for all motors for 2020.

The Fathom has the 'sport' motor which is the yamaha PW SE designation - slightly less power, slightly less cadence assist than the PW-X, but it does have the bigger 500w battery pack. It's the same motor I have in my Explore and I think it's terrific.

Trek also uses the Bosch CX and they are on Gen4 for 2020. Their Powerfly model for 2020 is now a hardtail. It may even be possible to find a leftover '19 at a discount, they had a couple at my dealer. I got my Trance at about 25% off list, zero interest for a year. It's a pretty painless way to buy an expensive ebike.

Neither one of these bikes have true MTB forks, but either are pretty good for what you want to do with them.

As an aside, San Diego Fly-Rides dealer has the '19 Cube Reaction Pro 500 on sale for $2295 USD: https://shopsandiegoflyrides.com/co...es/products/2019-cube-reaction-hybrid-pro-500

Yeah I did really like my experience with Giant, I am having a hard time deciding whether it is 'good enough' or if I should wait, save more and get a higher spec model. The price is so good, it almost makes me worry I am compromising. Stupid, right?!

Thanks for the link, but I am in Canada (importing is too complex).

Commencal makes a nice HT as well:

But the Shimano e7000 seems to have less power then the Giant.

I was getting ready to order a Commencal when I found my leftover Trance. I like their bikes and the company. I also looked seriously into YT Industries, a local higher end bike. All carbon fiber high-tech stuff.
Here's my thread on emtb's, we're still making a study of it, it's rather fun. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/emtb-options-for-2020.32057/

I'm open to all motor types as I think all of the big players have a decent product. And I've ridden them all to try them out, except for the high-power Bafang mid-drives, and there are fans for those as well.
You need to think about what you'll do it if it breaks. The incidence of failures on these bikes is higher than a regular bike. Unless you're really handy and can do everything yourself, it pays dividends to have a strong dealer to back you up. My dealer is hand-down, solid, reliable, and super nice people that bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. There's a mega ton of value to that. Make sure you REALLY like your dealer, as it's definitely a relationship of sorts. You want them to want to make you happy.

If you read the ride reviewers of the shimano drive you'll find people that like the e7 just as well as the 8000. it's kind of like the PW vs PWX. The higher motor is for high-end extreme bikes. Comparing my two yamahas, they are more alike than different. The x in the trance is just a little more punchy, which is nice for the full suspension bike. The Explore gets by fine with what it has. You won't ride anything much at full assist - most people use about half, punching it up when you need/want it. I would not let that deter you. Find fit, components, and backup, and you'll have a good experience. And meet your budget. A $10K turbo levo carbon works bike was just not in my reality. ;)

EDIT: BTW, that's a beautiful bike for $3400, the Commencal 27.5'r. 👍

Last edited:
I was getting ready to order a Commencal when I found my leftover Trance. I like their bikes and the company. I also looked seriously into YT Industries, a local higher end bike. All carbon fiber high-tech stuff.
Here's my thread on emtb's, we're still making a study of it, it's rather fun. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/emtb-options-for-2020.32057/

I'm open to all motor types as I think all of the big players have a decent product. And I've ridden them all to try them out, except for the high-power Bafang mid-drives, and there are fans for those as well.
You need to think about what you'll do it if it breaks. The incidence of failures on these bikes is higher than a regular bike. Unless you're really handy and can do everything yourself, it pays dividends to have a strong dealer to back you up. My dealer is hand-down, solid, reliable, and super nice people that bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. There's a mega ton of value to that. Make sure you REALLY like your dealer, as it's definitely a relationship of sorts. You want them to want to make you happy.

If you read the ride reviewers of the shimano drive you'll find people that like the e7 just as well as the 8000. it's kind of like the PW vs PWX. The higher motor is for high-end extreme bikes. Comparing my two yamahas, they are more alike than different. The x in the trance is just a little more punchy, which is nice for the full suspension bike. The Explore gets by fine with what it has. You won't ride anything much at full assist - most people use about half, punching it up when you need/want it. I would not let that deter you. Find fit, components, and backup, and you'll have a good experience. And meet your budget. A $10K turbo levo carbon works bike was just not in my reality. ;)

Yeah there is a Commencal shop about 75 minutes away from where I live, not impossible. I was set on getting the Giant, then I saw the Commencal and then wasn;'t sure anymore... I guess that means I need more time to think and not make a decision right at this moment.

One more question, you seem to know your ebikes: the Commencal has a 60nm torque vs the Giant which has 80. Knowing I have to commute on hills (way home is 8km constant uphill) - is the Giant better suited for this type of riding?
The torque difference is one I find hard to understand.

Hi @smeer
Yes, as @Saratoga Dave says I do have a Fathom. It's the 2019 E+2 variant.
As you have observed, I'd agree that the front suspension is somewhat "entry level". That being said I'm 235lbs and have successfully navigated a few trails over approx 1500kms.
The range is as good as you make it. Probably 80kms using level 1 or 2 depending on weight and wind with the Energypak 500.
The brakes are great, balance is good. You may need or want to change the saddle, it's relatively basic.
The tires are great for trails, but for commuting on pavement they are a bit rough. When they wear out (or sooner) I'll put some hybrids on there, like Schwalbe Hurricanes or similar.
I might have liked a dual suspension, but I can add a suspension seatpost if/when desired.
I like this bike a lot overall and I do feel I got my moneys worth. I also like the large number of Giant dealers around for service when required.

One more question, you seem to know your ebikes: the Commencal has a 60nm torque vs the Giant which has 80. Knowing I have to commute on hills (way home is 8km constant uphill) - is the Giant better suited for this type of riding?
The Fathom takes hills like a champ. Makes 'em flat! Most mid drives should.

Hi @smeer
Yes, as @Saratoga Dave says I do have a Fathom. It's the 2019 E+2 variant.
As you have observed, I'd agree that the front suspension is somewhat "entry level". That being said I'm 235lbs and have successfully navigated a few trails over approx 1500kms.
The range is as good as you make it. Probably 80kms using level 1 or 2 depending on weight and wind with the Energypak 500.
The brakes are great, balance is good. You may need or want to change the saddle, it's relatively basic.
The tires are great for trails, but for commuting on pavement they are a bit rough. When they wear out (or sooner) I'll put some hybrids on there, like Schwalbe Hurricanes or similar.
I might have liked a dual suspension, but I can add a suspension seatpost if/when desired.
I like this bike a lot overall and I do feel I got my moneys worth. I also like the large number of Giant dealers around for service when required.

Thank you for your input, not many Fathom riders around, even though it has good specs and price point.

My local Giant Dealer have already quoted me on an extra set of wheels; this way I can click them in whenever I need them. So I can basically get the whole setup from them (bike, extra set of wheels setup for bike), rack and fenders I'll source myself as I didn't like their options. Well, I don't like racks at all but I will need them in Raincity.

I have a HT (non electric) with a good air fork and an awesome seat, so to be honest, I can always swap those if I want too.

I weight about 138lbs, and not much wind around here, so 80km range sounds great.

Thank you for your input, not many Fathom riders around, even though it has good specs and price point.

My local Giant Dealer have already quoted me on an extra set of wheels; this way I can click them in whenever I need them. So I can basically get the whole setup from them (bike, extra set of wheels setup for bike), rack and fenders I'll source myself as I didn't like their options. Well, I don't like racks at all but I will need them in Raincity.

I have a HT (non electric) with a good air fork and an awesome seat, so to be honest, I can always swap those if I want too.

I weight about 138lbs, and not much wind around here, so 80km range sounds great.
The E+3 you're looking at probably has the newer 6 sensor setup as well. Mine has 4. So you might have access to the "auto" assist feature.

I have only tried the steps e8000, was plenty punchy on full assist. But yes, the pw has a little more, might take you up the hill a mile or two faster for the same effort.

Shimano is a nice drive unit, I don't think you would be disappointed. They're very quiet with a nice display and simple 3-level assist.

I do like the Yamaha drive - 50 years of familiarity with the brand lends confidence! Motorcycling since I was 11. Lol

Btw, I found wheel sets for as low as $200, even higher end sets for a little more. Don't over-pay for them.
You need cassette, rotors, and tires too. Learn some basic derailleur tuning for best results. Parks Tool has some excellent vid how-to's.

Btw, I found wheel sets for as low as $200, even higher end sets for a little more. Don't over-pay for them.
You need cassette, rotors, and tires too. Learn some basic derailleur tuning for best results. Parks Tool has some excellent vid how-to's.

I think they quoted around 450$, for the wheels, tires, casette and rotor. That is about 335USD.
There is also some advantage of time saving there for me vs having to research / source / set it up myself hence I like the idea of just getting it all from them...

That seems very reasonable. Must be for factory wheels - Giant makes their own wheels and they're rated pretty good.
And yes, an extra spoke magnet for the speed sensor so you don't have to swap it over. ;)

I may source some road tires for mine - I can change tires out in nearly the same time as swapping the wheels. An extra couple of minutes to dismount and mount a tire.
For those times we have company and need four bikes - our grown children come to visit from time to time and would love to experience an ebike ride.

That seems very reasonable. Must be for factory wheels - Giant makes their own wheels and they're rated pretty good.
And yes, an extra spoke magnet for the speed sensor so you don't have to swap it over. ;)

I may source some road tires for mine - I can change tires out in nearly the same time as swapping the wheels. An extra couple of minutes to dismount and mount a tire.
For those times we have company and need four bikes - our grown children come to visit from time to time and would love to experience an ebike ride.

Yes, it is quite handy tohave 2 set, I think.

Just called and put in the order for the Fathom. Should have it within a week or so, ready at my local LBS :). Excititng.

Congrats on your (soon to be) new ebike system. That Giant looks great, even standing still!

Back