Fat guy (280 lbs) Looking for 2000w Hand throttled Kit/parts Where to begin.

You don't want a medium bike if youre over 6 foot. You don't want a single speed bike unless there are no hills in your ride.

Did you ride your donor bike, what size and did it fit you?

Your could try Walmart. A lot of guys buy the genesis mountain bike. Not for me. Give it a look

Not sure what your budget is but the e conversion with the battery etc will be at least $1000.

My donor bike was actually way to big. And yes i was hoping to keep it under $1300ish - that 1500w goldenpie with big battery was right at $1000 after shipping.

I looked at the Golden Motor Canada site. Wow, is that confusing. They try to get you to research all your questions online, which is OK, but tough if you are just starting out.

If you could find a basic bike for a reasonable amount, steel frame, you could make a pretty decent bike in your budget. See if the people at Luna Cycle will guide you through the thing. I think it's an integrated controller, so very little wiring.

This bike is rated for 500 pounds:

http://www.worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/inb.html

You would need to talk to the company about the brakes, the speed options, etc, and also how to add a motor safely. These guys seem to be serious about making a safe bike that can carry some weight.

If you want simple the RadWagon is on sale for a few more days:

http://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

Here's my budget DIY build. The motor is a 36V 500 Watt geared rear drive for $199 on ebay. The battery is a 36 volt for $280 shipped (legally) from China, also via ebay. I'm taking a chance on the battery, I know. It might only last 200 charges. It's also a small battery at 10 AH. The bike is a steel frame Trek from 1996, I think.

This is what I believe the masses ride in China. Inexpensive motor and battery. The controller caps the speed at 20 mph. I beleive I could hack that, but that's fast enough. I have pedaled it up to 25 mph (puff puff). I ride for cardio and exercise, so a nice pace is 12-15 mph. The motor only runs to get me up to speed, and is barely contributing unless a hill comes up. I believe I could go 40 miles and use 1/2 of the battery at that rate, but haven't proven it. I never use the throttle. In any case, I could easily pedal it 10 miles w/o power because I did that today.

trek_in_the_sky.jpg

I would suggest that the OP get a multi speed bike so it can be pedaled under power for his exercise. A Bafang mid mount will cost him around $500-550 and owners say those drives pull like tractors using the bike's gearing. A 48V battery in the same case as mine will cost $480 from Lunacycle. The Bafang is very easy to install, but you will need the specialty wrenches to take the crank apart. Those wrenches are like $10.

I'll leave the advice on bikes from the experts here, but I can comment on using an ebike to rehab and get in shape.
My wife was giving me $%%% for cheating on my 20 miles rides on my ebike...... but after a few weeks realized I was losing wgt and toning up.
I had a bad knee injury 5 yrs ago that did not allow comfortable biking or running..... this ebike has literally changed my life, allowing me to add pedal assist to full time now as my body will allow.
Happy to say I'm stronger now.... and just use the low power 350watt hub motor to keep me @ 20-21mph with full pedal assist.
Do not give up on this project, it will add years to your life and quality of life. (not being too dramatic, but I am pretty passionatte about this).

BTW - I grew up in Baton Rouge..... lsu grad.... tiger fan... oil field guy.

GL, and you are in the right place for advise from what I can tell.

Jeff

Men's Genesis extra large 26 inch bike - $75 good condition

Local craigslist - would this bike be a good candidate? no idea on what kind of brakes it has... however.

Go to a bike store. Tell them your budget and what you plan on doing. Then ride some bikes and find out what YOU LIKE and what the right size is.

The go on craigslist

You should be able to get a decent used bike for $200. Disc brakes

The Genesis has cantilever brakes. It's old, because the plastic on the gears is discolored like my Trek, which hung from the garage rafters for 20 years. I think people ask way too much money for old stuff, but that's another topic.

If it had to be a choice between these two limited selections, in the long run, the extra $100 gets you disk brakes and a front suspension. You cannot retrofit those. You might also look at Walmart.com if the in-store pickup option will save you shipping, and they often have sales.

You should make a choice of motor before you go further. Will it be mid mount crank motor, or a hub drive. If hub drive, will it be geared or direct drive, and will it be front or rear? What battery and how will you mount it? The frame you choose has some impact on these things.

Well, I don't see how I'd need bluetooth if I have the LCD screen (educate me if I am wrong) but the v5 should be the same motor just different colors with the bluetooth connectivity. Figured I'd save a few bucks :) I'm going to the bike store right now to ask em

So I found this Fixie frame - steel framed - only real problem is the brakes but oh well, what do you guys think? If not, I could not find a bike with disc brakes with a strong frame for under $500 . Perhaps what I am having problems with is this, what is more important, disc brakes or steel frame?

As in, is steel frame even necessary on rear hub motor if torque arms are used. (on that note, should I use torque arms on a steel frame bike?)

Also, I live in rural area, where most of my riding will not be in the city -

If anyone has any clue, or ability to point me to an actual bike I can buy that would make a great Ebike - this would be of great help.

Okay, more dumb questions: AFter looking at the bikes at the local shop - and wally world - most of the bikes were aluminum - very few were steel - especially the mountain bikes. I could not see how the $300 mongoose mountain bike at walmart was any better than my original Reliegh bike - as all of them seemed to have aluminum forks in the rear. So to not beat a dead horse - what would make a mountain bike better than the road bike - if the road bike has small steel forks welded to the aluminum. LAst question about this dumb bike - the steel forks are very small, so I assume torque arms will not fit it unless I had some custom made (which I dont think I can do) or would it be okay for it to be ties down with the clamp on the aluminum part :| You can see I do not fully understand how and where torque arms are installed. Perhaps lastly - Would this bike be fine If i went with a modest 500w motor instead as it seems like that might be a better option at this point :|

If it were my build, I would just use what you have and keep a limit on the hp/tq you add.
Use your existing bike and keep the price low, and have fun.

Keep the cost down, and start the build.

If something fails who cares... it was a free bike..... just keep an eye on things and don't get carried away.
I imagine there is a hefty safety factor built into a bike frame/wheels.
Back in my BMX days we cracked frames and bent rims with no real serious consequences...... this was due to half pipe antics.
I can't imagine street riding would be any harder on the frame/wheels.

GL...... and take my advice for what it's worth FREE. :)

Need = 300+ lb rider wanting to go 25-30mph.
That demands a REALLY good wheel set ( rims, wheel, spokes) and in your case those items are the bottleneck points.
And 30mph demands very good disc brakes for sure.

Not trying to be cocky but safety is of utmost importance. If you wish to stay with what you have, then you need to alter your speed demand to ~15mph.

Pedego Stretch can carry upto 400lb cargo. It's a pure cargo bike with heavy duty spokes.

stretch-passenger.jpg

You got to remember, 30mph for a skinnyerson prob 22-23 mph for me. Nice bike ,but those are almost $3000 :|

I'm just worried If i bought a 750w id be wishing I'd gone bigger the whole time, and they cost the same. When I priced the industrial cargo bike someone posted here, it was almost $560 after the options were added. and its single speed. - plus I DO want disc brakes.

So If i had $500 bucks to spend, anyone got a link to a bike I could/should buy

Since your donor bike is too big, youre going to need another bike..

People here have listed some pretty decent off the shelf bikes..

If you really want to find a bike start getting on them and riding.. No one can tell you what's best for you.

My only advice is to find a bike that you feel comfortable on, and has a triangle large enough for the battery you want.

Last edited:
If it were my build, I would just use what you have and keep a limit on the hp/tq you add. Use your existing bike and keep the price low, and have fun.

Keep the cost down, and start the build.
:)

Good advice. My bike was free. I used a cheap motor too. I did buy a good quality luna-cycle battery, but I'm using a cheaper battery on my build for now.

Also, hate to be gruff, but if the objective was to get back into shape, blasting around at 30 mph using the throttle ain't gonna do it, unless you go 25 miles, run out of electrons, and have to pedal home. If you're going to work, well sure, then you have to be there on time.

Your budget has grown. Maybe look at a finished bike.

I would second that. Crazy Lenny is in Madison, WI. He will ship. We drove up 200 miles there to test drive a bike for my wife. Wow. All kinds of bikes, and friendly staff. We came home with a nice bike for less than I expected. Tell them your budget and goals. You should be able to get a really good bike at a fair price, now that bike season is winding down.

Back