Fat Bike W/ BBSHD updates

Tomorrow I'll try to make it over to Home depot and purchase all the screws and washers I need, and then over to Campus Cycles to see about a longer chain. I unpackaged the Shark battery pack tonight, and it's charging right now. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll attach the Anderson power poles and plug everything up and see if she works. BTW the shark pack appears to be, in a much higher quality class than the dolphin pack. Here's some pictures.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 768
  • IMG_3207.JPG
    IMG_3207.JPG
    844.6 KB · Views: 773
Is it the 13.5 Amp one? I hope they will give me one of those as well! That looks sweet. Have you read anything about the water bottle looking batteries? @Kaldeem keep me posted and let me know if you need any help.

I'm praying it's the 13.5 one because that's what I paid for and asked for, but this battery didn't come any stickers or papers to tell me what it was. No I haven't read anything on the water bottle looking canisters..personally I've never like that look, so meh. lol. Thanks for the offering, I'll keep posting updates on my Thread.

Nice vid. I was planning to do the same thing, well I am going to shoot some video this weekend, but I don't own a gopro. I'll just be using my cell.

Ok luna is sending my a new 13.5 shark pack to replace my dolphin back and a new lunagizer charger because my screen went out. I can't wait for it to get here. They said on the dolphin back they just had to jump it because the BMS suddenly shut off.

I recently experienced the same issue with a shark pack, jumping it was very easy and worked exactly as described (still not exactly clear on why this happens or if it will be a common occurrence...).

Ok I changed my 4.5 snowshoe tire to a 3.5 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=A1X8KAYHCNUGEZ

I feel like I need a higher gear now because the bike rolls so much easier. I was worried about self steer but with the PSI at 30 it doesn't seem to be an issue. 100$ is a lot but it made a big difference. A lot cheaper then the black floyds which I considered. The other thing I noticed is my battery life was still full after 16 miles of pedal assist 5 which is good and usually not the case for me.

It is not about the same time on my bike as it is in the car. One thing to note if going to a 3.5 or smaller on an 80mm rim. If you want to run tubeless which you should then it can be difficult to seat the tire on the rim especially when the tire is much narrower. I took the tires to three shops and none of them were able to seat the tire. I finally just just tubes for a day in the tire and that stretched the tire out enough that when I took out the tubes I was able to seat the tire and am now running them tubeless.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.PNG
    IMG_2824.PNG
    111 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_2824.PNG
    IMG_2824.PNG
    111 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_2827.PNG
    IMG_2827.PNG
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 759
Alright I've logged over 2,000 miles since I built the bike. Today I installed the new luna cycle full color screen and it has been a nice upgrade. This bike has been an amazing source of transportation with me. I typically commute at least 4 days a week and ride 35-40 miles a day. I don't know why I'm so lucky but without the gear sensing my bike shifts quickly and effortlessly it may because of the quality of the x9 derailleur but I'm unsure. My chain has never fallen off which was also another common problem and I was thinking this morning maybe that is because I have a smaller chain on my bike and it is tighter. Not sure but the bike rides great and is much more enjoyable and faster than the turbo x I had for 2 days.

So at least 70 cycles on the battery, and pretty good cycles. Any signs you are losing capacity? It's nice to hear the batteries are holding up. Think you had some early glitch.

I am sure a quality derailleur helps with the shifting - if you know how to use your gears properly and ease of pedaling while shifting I think not having the gear sensor isn't much of an issue. I know my wifes Haibike Sduro doesn't have it and it is a breeze to ride and change gears - she isn't the best with gearing either and hasn't complained or commented on the lack of a sensor either.

@George S. yes the original dolphin pack I ordered died on me. They sent me a new shark pack that has been holding up great. No signs of losing capacity. I just got the new display from Luna and after my 17 mile ride this morning in pedal assist 5 averaging 26 mph in the wind with about 15 extra lbs of gear and 1,500 elevation gain I was at 80% capacity.

I enjoy having continuous power from my motor. It doesn't shut off when I tap the brakes or shift and if I really need to shut it off quick because I'm going into a turn to fast or for any other reason I have the green button I can use.

Logan, give us a heads up on that new display from Luna, how accurate on watts and voltage do you reckon?
Will i still be able to re-programme the controller with it?

ps. comment on youtube ... `By the way, this display makes it impossible to fully cancel PAS. It always gives 1 - 2amps, even with pedal assist on 0.`

Last edited:
@tinasdude attache dis a diagram for the rear dropout of my bike. My new top speed is 43 mph! Not bad for a fat bike.

Attachments

• sturgisnight-rrcstays.gif
    sturgisnight-rrcstays.gif
    42.1 KB · Views: 765
@RoyL as far as I can tell the new controller is more accurate but I have no way to check it or compare it to anything else. I haven't tried to re program it but I do have a programming cable. What would you change anyways? Can I eliminate the top speed governor without messing anything else up? When I put PAS on zero there is not assistance from the motor and no power draw so I'm not sure why that was happening to someone on youtube.

Back