Fat Bike W/ BBSHD updates

@Logan Gogarty did you have issues shifting gears? I just installed the chainring and cranks... I'm still waiting for the battery, but I wanted to see everything put together. I was stationary shifting gears and found that my chain gets stuck in the 2nd largest chain, so it can't switch to the granny gear. Stock rear derailleur is Sram x-4 8-34 tooth, whereas the stock chainring for the bbsHD is a 46 tooth. Do I need to adjust the derailleur or purchase a different chain?

Had exactly the same problem with doing my conversion, the chain wouldn`t lift up onto the 34 cog. You need a longer chain, and get a good one while you`re at it!

Had exactly the same problem with doing my conversion, the chain wouldn`t lift up onto the 34 cog. You need a longer chain, and get a good one while you`re at it!
Tight. That's good to know, thanks for replying. Have you posted conversion online? I'd like to see it. I'm going to post mine soon, but I'm still waiting on the battery to arrive.

changed the position of my headlight with an adapter from supernova, added a topeak bag that has a velcro system (because I have an axiom rack) and I added to green button to my dash. I also added a drive train beaver guard so now I have two on the back and one on the front. I'm going to put on the new bling ring as soon as I get longer screws to put it out far enough that it doesn't scrape my chain stay.
IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So I added all of my upgrades and was excited to ride today. I charged my battery to 100% using the new luna charger once it said the battery was full I unplugged it. It was strange because the power button light was lit even though the button was not pushed. I unplugged the motor from the battery and it turned the light off. I left it unplugged all night. I plugged it in this morning and my display would not power on. The lights flickered a little bit and that was it. I took off the power poles and touched wire to wire and still no display or lights (which are directly wired to the battery) I plugged back in the luna charger to see what the volt reading was and nothing at all cam on the little display. The fuse in the charge appears to be in tact.

Is this a bad battery situation?

If the voltage was rising during the charge, and the fan motor was running, and it took several hours, the cells are probably charged. There may be a problem with one of the BMS modules, just in general. I think it's the 52v.

My (Luna) charger just functions as a voltmeter if the battery is connected, so I think you are saying there is nothing coming out of the battery, either reading from the charger or reading from the failure of the display to power up. I don't have a switch on my battery.

Definitely bounce this off Eric.

Thanks @George S. Eric wants me to use a voltmeter which I'm going to attempt now after I learn how to use one. Have you received your new battery yet @Kaldeem? Did you get the same battery or try a different one like the shark pack?

This is what Eric wants me to try:

yeah the bms has cut off the power on that pack...can you rig it to charge through the lead wires (power wires ) for a few minutes...that will jolt the bms back to life..

Hey @Logan Gogarty Sorry to hear you're having some battery issues too. I think it's the 52 v's that are having BMS issues, but we'll see once my battery arrives tomorrow, I asked for the shark pack and that's what they are supposed to send me, I also need to get a longer chain. Did you buy the Luna Eclipse bbs HD chainring for your fatty? I ordered it and it's far too extreme of a distance in its width for my 8-speed 32 tooth rear cog set. I don't know if longer screws will help or spacers, but it also grinds into the chainstay. I don't know though, it appears to be an extreme distance for the bike to shift gears.

Yes I bought the bling ring and just installed it tonight. I had to go to lowes and pick up m5-8.0 20 screws which were pretty long and then put 11 small washers to keep the ring from hitting the chain stay. I haven't ridden it yet but it looks like it should work pretty well. Did they send you a box or did you have to pay to ship the battery back?

I still had the box it came in, so they emailed me an RMA and I just packed it up with foam and bubble wrap. Eric also told me to tell them it was under 50 watt hours or something if they asked. Shady.

Here is a picture with the bling ring. You can see all the washers and how long the screws are to make it so it doesn't hit the chain stay. Eric said I will probably be sending my battery back. I wanted a shark pack anyway so I'm not complaining just don't want to wait to ride my bike. Especially with more snow coming!

IMG_2617.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Logan/Kaldeem,

Eric is doing a lot of great stuff, but he really needs to take care of you. I'm not sure why Eric isn't featuring that build of yours, Logan, and the really amazing stuff you are doing with it. Such a beautiful bike.

As far as I know the cells are really high quality, so both you guys having problems is a bit off the scale. Find out what's wrong and fix it. I have a 48v Shark and I need to really test it.

You have some nice bikes so hang in there, but make sure you get what you paid for. There's a real need to develop customer service in the DIY market. I'm not sure how return battery shipments can be done. Maybe Karl could do a real handbook for this stuff, just from the BBS info he has on his site.

George

Thanks @George S. My battery should arrive today, and I still need to see about putting that bling ring on, which means i have to buy a longer chain and see if I can scrap up some cash and by the screws and washers and chain to make the clearance. We'll see.

Back