fast comfortable ebike to use somewhat like a scooter substitute?

fnord

My use case will be pretty much a car replacement, to get around my hilly city. I've tried a couple of bikes, one being the Bulls Lacuba Evo e45 and found it underwhelming. I think I want something that has class 4 capabilities. I don't necessarily want to go illegal speeds, just want something that can launch fast and get ahead of cars.

Why don't I just get a 150cc scooter? I don't have a garage and my last motorcycle got totaled just parked on the street minding its own business. I figure with an ebike I can bring it into my apartment.

Doing research, I've narrowed in on 1000w mid-drive bikes. Am I on the right track?

Namely,
-FLX Blade
-Luna / Giant Momentum with the BBSHD upgrade

The FLX Blade looks great, except I'd probably have to put street tires on it. And the riding position isn't ideal - too leaned forward.

The Luna looks like it would be great, except it doesn't have disc brakes. I suspect a bike with a motor that powerful would be dangerous with caliper brakes.

Anything else I should consider? I imagine my ideal bike to be something with a very upright seating position and pulled-back bars, like a cruiser or a dutch style city bike, preferably with an internal hub instead of a derailleur, but I'll take what I can get :)

Anything else I should consider? I imagine my ideal bike to be something with a very upright seating position and pulled-back bars, like a cruiser or a dutch style city bike, preferably with an internal hub instead of a derailleur

The Biktrix stunner is a mid-drive cruiser with an IGH, the rear brake is a Shimano roller brake, if that bothers you the frame probably doesnt have the lugs for disc brakes at the hub of the rear triangle, but you might be able to add a rear Magura hydraulic rim brake - check with Biktrix if the wheel rim is suitable it probably is.

The Biktrix stunner is a mid-drive cruiser with an IGH, the rear brake is a Shimano roller brake, if that bothers you the frame probably doesnt have the lugs for disc brakes at the hub of the rear triangle, but you might be able to add a rear Magura hydraulic rim brake - check with Biktrix if the wheel rim is suitable it probably is.

thanks... this looks good. I saw this bike on this site, but it said the top speed was 20mph. I see they must have updated it because their website says 28/30mph.

it's got disc brakes on the front wheel - I think that's sufficient.

I saw this bike on this site, but it said the top speed was 20mph. I see they must have updated it because their website says 28/30mph. it's got disc brakes on the front wheel - I think that's sufficient.

I think they use a Bafang BBS02 motor on the Stunner, so it's easy to reprogram the power/speed settings with a programming cable and software on a laptop, but Roshan is responsive and will program it to your requirements. I think this is the first year Biktrix have used a Shimano Nexus IGH so if you get one please post a review here I'd be interested in reading your experience. I converted a pedal bicycle with a BBS01 mid-drive and it's currently in the shop being converted from a 7-speed derailleur to an 8-speed Nexus IGH because I want to be able to shift down when stopped.

Last edited:
1 flight - I'm hoping to use walk mode

I use walk mode to get up the 3 steps into my back yard, the only thing when climbing stairs is you need to keep your thumb pressed as long as you want walk assist which doesn't leave you with a spare hand to hold onto a handrail so keep your fingers over the handbrake, your thumb on the - button, and your other hand firmly holding the saddle or somewhere you can catch and hold the whole weight of the bike in case your thumb accidentally slips off, so you don't lose balance.

My use case will be pretty much a car replacement, to get around my hilly city. I've tried a couple of bikes, one being the Bulls Lacuba Evo e45 and found it underwhelming. I think I want something that has class 4 capabilities. I don't necessarily want to go illegal speeds, just want something that can launch fast and get ahead of cars.

Why don't I just get a 150cc scooter? I don't have a garage and my last motorcycle got totaled just parked on the street minding its own business. I figure with an ebike I can bring it into my apartment.

Doing research, I've narrowed in on 1000w mid-drive bikes. Am I on the right track?

Namely,
-FLX Blade
-Luna / Giant Momentum with the BBSHD upgrade

The FLX Blade looks great, except I'd probably have to put street tires on it. And the riding position isn't ideal - too leaned forward.

The Luna looks like it would be great, except it doesn't have disc brakes. I suspect a bike with a motor that powerful would be dangerous with caliper brakes.

Anything else I should consider? I imagine my ideal bike to be something with a very upright seating position and pulled-back bars, like a cruiser or a dutch style city bike, preferably with an internal hub instead of a derailleur, but I'll take what I can get :)

Maybe something like https://shop.m2sbikes.com/products/full-suspension-electric-fat-bike

Class 4 probably means big motor like Bafang Ultra (Biktrix/M2S/Luna) with good sized batteries. Luna sells their Ludicrous controllers that get bikes moving.

1 flight - I'm hoping to use walk mode

You might want to verify that before you buy a bike. I’m a huge e-bike fan but I don’t know if I could get my 55lb e-bike up a flight of stairs. I mean, I’m sure I could but it might be too much hassle to do so on a regular basis.

As a car replacement... Define "comfortable". Don't expect it to be as comfortable as a car or even Vespa.

To me, most comfortable are bikes that are 1) Step-through like Biktrix Stunner, 2) Flat-foot like EG Maui 500 or Electra Townie, 3) Has a throttle. The last feature is important if you want to launch fast.
Very few possess all 3 features.

As to the mid-drives, other than (maybe) some towns in really hilly areas of Alps, I am not convinced that commuting in a city under 7-8 miles each way mandates a mid-drive. OTH, when riding 10 miles or more one way, it's hard to stay "comfortable" on a saddle, if you know what I mean ;) ...

Last edited:
If you're in an upper level apartment hopefully you have an elevator because e-bikes are HEAVY.

ok, I didn't really quite appreciate this. On the street or in a bike shop, I hefted the various bikes. Even the piggies I could lift off the ground fairly easily.

Whelp I just tried to haul a 66lb 72lb Riese-Müller Panzer demo bike up 1.5 flights of stairs. It was barely possible. Also Bosch walk-mode is useless on stairs, at least on this bike.

Last edited:
ok, I didn't really quite appreciate this. On the street or in a bike shop, I hefted the various bikes. Even the piggies I could lift off the ground fairly easily.

Whelp I just tried to haul a 66lb 72lb Riese-Müller Panzer demo bike up 1.5 flights of stairs. It was barely possible. Also Bosch walk-mode is useless on stairs, at least on this bike.

You could consider buying a length of guttering from Home Depot and use it as a ramp.

You could consider buying a length of guttering from Home Depot and use it as a ramp.

I didn't even think of that... Actually, this is at work and everybody at work including the CEO rides a bicycle. I might be able to get the office to spring for a proper ramp like this

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Back