Explore E+ 2018 vs 2019

Valentino

Hi Everyone, I am considering to buy Giant Explore E+ 2018 US version and trying to figure out what is the main difference between 2019 model. The main question I have is the motor on 2018 version Yamaha PW or PW-SE? 2019 most likely has PW-SE version since it has Bluetooth connectivity. Are there any other pros and cons between 2018 vs 2019. The motor is my main concern. Appreciate your feedback.

It is neither the PW or PW-SE. It’s a Synchdrive, which is a better drive than both (higher cadence support). You’re not buying a Yamaha drive. It’s an original Giant drive built by Yamaha...

I was under assumption that Syncdrive is Yamaha motor (the hardware is the same) with Firmware/Software fine-tuned by Giant.

Hi Valentino, I bought a Giant Explore E+ about a month ago, and am really liking it! I remember a few differences between 2018 and 2019:

- I read that early 2018 models may have 3 speeds while late 2018 and 2019 have 5 speeds
- 2018 had an lcd display controller, 2019 has a simple controller called "Giant Ride Control ONE" with leds to indicate boost and battery level. If you want to see details on current speed, cadence, etc... you would have to use mount your smartphone to the bike and connect with bluetooth.
- I think 2018 3 speed models supported cadence to 100, while the 2019 supports 110
- I think 2018 3 speed models had max boost of 300%, while the 2019 max boost is 350%

If you can get a great deal on a 2018 that has 5 speeds, you're probably getting the same motor as the 2019. If the 2018 has only 3 speeds, the 2019 might be worth the extra money.

Hi @Slow Rider , thanks for the info. 2018 model I saw had 5 speeds. From my observations, I am guessing that motor unit 3 speed sport version is previous gen, such as Yamaha PW, and 5 speed is current PW-SE.

I don't know if you purchased yet or not, but the 2019 has upgraded brakes as well (Shimano). From what I saw, the 2019 is an improvement over the 2018 for the same price.

I've got no connection with them but if someone is looking for a 2018 Road-E +1 in Southern California, there is a shop in Riverside with a closeout on the 2018 models. They have reduced them 20% from $4050 to $3200. Private message me and I can give you shop name and info.

Looking at getting a Explore E+1 small, low step/womans.
Cant find a weight in the online specs.
Would someone know what that would be.
I'm guessing it would be around 24 kg or 53 lbs

Rocky - At least in the United States Giant and many other manufacturers have stopped printing weights in the brochures.

About the only way to find out a weight is to find an independent bike review where they quote the weight of the bike they tested. The reasons are many but back in eternity past bike manufacturers gave out weights of the smallest frame size and often without any government mandated items like reflectors, chain guards, etc. This meant that consumers were weighing their bikes post purchase and finding out they weighed several to many pounds more than the quoted weights.

Giant encourages customers to go to a local shop and have the bike they want weighed. If you are trying to compare a Giant to another brand I would check out reviews or find a dealer and have them weigh them for you. This is the only way you are going to get a fair comparison on weights across brands or models.

Last edited:
I thought the weight would be closer to 40 lbs was thinking of getting one because my juiced ccx weighs 60 lbs. And was looking for a lighter bike. Howard

Hi Valentino, I bought a Giant Explore E+ about a month ago, and am really liking it! I remember a few differences between 2018 and 2019:

- I read that early 2018 models may have 3 speeds while late 2018 and 2019 have 5 speeds
- 2018 had an lcd display controller, 2019 has a simple controller called "Giant Ride Control ONE" with leds to indicate boost and battery level. If you want to see details on current speed, cadence, etc... you would have to use mount your smartphone to the bike and connect with bluetooth.
- I think 2018 3 speed models supported cadence to 100, while the 2019 supports 110
- I think 2018 3 speed models had max boost of 300%, while the 2019 max boost is 350%

If you can get a great deal on a 2018 that has 5 speeds, you're probably getting the same motor as the 2019. If the 2018 has only 3 speeds, the 2019 might be worth the extra money.
There is a2018 giant e3+with synchdrive new at at the lbs. If it is synchdrive would it be a 5 speed?

The word “light” and “ebike” don’t belong in the same sentence. ?

That said, Court did a review of the Road E in March 2017 and he usually lists weights. (I can’t click on it without an annoying error message). Not sure if it’s similar to what you are looking for but maybe it’s close. Or maybe a YouTube video??

Please post what you find as I too am seeking something in the low 40s lbs. (without full carbon!). So far the Trek Dual Sport Plus women’s frame has possibilities at 44 lbs but haven’t ridden one yet. And there’s some start ups out of Europe but I prefer a regular manufacturer.

The word “light” and “ebike” don’t belong in the same sentence. ?

That said, Court did a review of the Road E in March 2017 and he usually lists weights. (I can’t click on it without an annoying error message). Not sure if it’s similar to what you are looking for but maybe it’s close. Or maybe a YouTube video??

Please post what you find as I too am seeking something in the low 40s lbs. (without full carbon!). So far the Trek Dual Sport Plus women’s frame has possibilities at 44 lbs but haven’t ridden one yet. And there’s some start ups out of Europe but I prefer a regular manufacturer.
I lifted a trek e bike at a lbs and it was light but small battery 20 mph and no throttle.

I have a 2018 Explore E+ 3 in a size large and it weighs in around 50 lbs. It will probably be close to this as I think the E +1 has fenders, lights, rack, and a larger battery that would offset the larger size.

My 2020 Explore E+ 4 (STA) will be arriving with-in days. Website information can be difficult for precise info but I'm fairly
confident that for 2020 Giant upgraded the SyncDrive Sport to the six sensor drive like the SyncDrive Life LaFree E+ 1. Actual Battery size still in question..

My 2020 Explore E+ 4 (STA) will be arriving with-in days. Website information can be difficult for precise info but I'm fairly
confident that for 2020 Giant upgraded the SyncDrive Sport to the six sensor drive like the SyncDrive Life LaFree E+ 1. Actual Battery size still in question..
Congrats! But why do you say actual battery size is still in question? That bike is supposed to have the 400w 36v 11.3Ah battery. And yes, almost all the new 2020's have the 6-sensor technology.

Giant's "official" website claims the Explore E+ 4 comes with a 500 watt battery (Under Technologies section). The PDF spreadsheet says 400. But the official website also claims the 4 has a EVO Display and I know that's highly unlikely. Still I remain optimistic and hope that in the confusion of a model year change-over that Giant ship me a Syncdrive Pro equipped bike by mistake. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Giant's "official" website claims the Explore E+ 4 comes with a 500 watt battery (Under Technologies section). The PDF spreadsheet says 400. But the official website also claims the 4 has a EVO Display and I know that's highly unlikely. Still I remain optimistic and hope that in the confusion of a model year change-over that Giant ship me a Syncdrive Pro equipped bike by mistake. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

What's the "Official" website? The US one? Canadian one? UK one? They're all different and there are different components and specs on all of them. Different models too, and some names seems to be new names for old models. So, what is the "official" site?

The one I sent my money too via PayPal. They confirmed it as being Giant, Inc. You agree there are different components on different sites, so your information is only as reliable as mine. UPDATE: Just got an e-mail that the bike arrived at the shop so can probably pick it up tomorrow. That's not bad for being shipped from the warehouse in NJ. I submitted the online purchase on on Aug. 14th in the afternoon and it's now waiting for me to go pick it up. That's just 70 hours for delivery. Nice Job Giant!

Oh, I see where you're getting that info... It's very misleading from Giant, because they're talking as if all the models in the Explore E+ series have those features. That's the same on the Canadian and European sites I've been checking out. It's very misleading in my opinion. It would be better if they said something like "on select models". I've already seen the E+ 4 here in Canada and I really don't believe it's any different from the US model... 400w battery and RideControl ONE. It's a great bike just the same and I'm sure you will be happy.

I have no way to judge the accuracy of this, but I'm of the opinion that an E+3 (or 4) with 400w battery would have the same range as the E+1 with 500w. I'm saying that based on commuting one day (30km each way) with an E+3 and now with my E+1. I had more percentage of battery left after the commute with the 400w battery model than I did yesterday with my 500w. I'm guessing that is because of the great weight difference. The smaller battery is noticeably lighter, plus the lack of fenders, lights, rack, etc. all add up. So the battery and motor don't have to work as hard on the lighter bike. I also remember that I had very little trouble lifting the E+3 up chest height to put onto my rear bike rack, but the E+1 is a real BEAST to lift. I was shocked. I'm going to try weighing it this weekend.

Back