Explore+3 +4 GTS And Sister Amiti - Review • Comments • Q&A

Got the 2020 E 4 GTS yesterday and took a quick 20 mile ride and it was great. I live on a hill so all rides end with 50 ft climb in one block. No problem now.:)

Have some questions:

Where is the bike serial number located? I want to register my bike with Giant. Didn't get document with serial number on it. I'm assuming bottom of crank, but I think that is covered?

Did anyone register their bike with: CODE.No.com using the QRC code? I did the registration, but sure if others are doing it.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Kenji

"It's a little bit country , It's a little bit rock and roll ."

I've only ridden the +4 GTS on pavement .
Curious how it handles off-road .

We did a few dirt trails today, actually decomposed granite, so they were pretty smooth. Very stable and easy to ride, especially with the balloon tires. This bike continues to amaze me, it's so easy to ride. 👍

Serial number for the 2020 Explore E+ is stamped on back left side of the chain stay length. The number is right below where the disc brake is mounted. It's stamped into the frame then painted over so is not clearly visible.

Serial number for the 2020 Explore E+ is stamped on back left side of the chain stay length. The number is right below where the disc brake is mounted. It's stamped into the frame then painted over so is not clearly visible.

Thanks, I called the bike shop where I had my bike shipped and found that there is also a barcode sticker close to the handle bar stem under the battery compartment. Glad to know there is stamping. Appreciate the input.

Thanks, I called the bike shop where I had my bike shipped and found that there is also a barcode sticker close to the handle bar stem under the battery compartment. Glad to know there is stamping. Appreciate the input.

Not sure if anyone can access my garmin connect activity.

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/embed/4412184347' title='Tulsa Cycling' width='465' height='500' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Got to range test my 2020 E 4 GTS. Got 53 miles with a few big hills I did some loops at the end to make sure I had enough power to fly up the hill I live. I spend most of the time on level 2 switching to level 4 on big hills. Love this bike so much fun. :)

According to RST tech support the recommended rider weight for standard springs stock suspension fork on 2020 Explore e +4 is 140 ~ 160lb .

Hi Browneye. I went into lbs the other day on a whim. They had a 2018 +3 sitting on the floor with a $2400 price tag on it. No more giants but some really nice Specialized. I was eyeballing the giant because i was at another store that had the same bike and said they would sell it for 2K but it was at thier other store. I never went to look at it. The owner of this store said "i would really like to get rid of that bike". We talked for a while and he said he would take $1900 for it. Still wasnt sold(hated those skinny tires and green accents) . I was curious about the yamaha motor and wanted to try it out so i took it for a ride anyways(i have a trek with the bosch performance cx and wanted to compare). Nice and quite and about same performance. When i went back in the store he said ok ill thake $1500. Now i was intrested. Had mechanic take a rear tire off of one of thier specialized mtb and a 29x2.3 barely fit, looked real nice. They said they would put them on my rims for another $100 bucks. I looked and saw that the green stickers would come off of forks and rims and i could put some black reflective tape over the green paint on chain stays. I can live with the big green Giant decal on battery and paint on top tube (maybe i can get blk giant sticker for battery). Anyways I bought the bike and gonna pick it up in a day or so.
So thats the back story. What i would like to know is how you over rode the speed sensor. Did you flop the sensor and put a magnet on your crank? Did you buy a speedbox? Could you do it in giant app? 2019 has the syncdrive sport right? My bike is different as it has the charge display mudule and only 3 levels of assist. Hell i not even sure my bike will connect to the app as its a 2018. Please let me know how you unlocked limiter. Also if somebody did change out fork or the spring please let me know what you did and how it worked out. Thanks for all the info guys

Holy smokes...smokin' deal!!!

Funny, I liked the green. But then I rode dirtbikes for fifty years and you get used to 'kawaski green', even if you never owned one. 🤣
In any case, IMO it's way nicer than the all black 2020 model.

Yes, same yamaha drive - they're fantastic. Before I paid a bunch of $$ for an eMTB I would want to try out all the big players, but the little yammer always gets high marks from knowledgeable testers. The more I ride mine the more I like it. It makes a little more whirring noise when it's cold, when you first get on it, but goes quiet as soon as it gets some run time.

I tested out the sensor re-lo and crank magnet. In fact, you can simply take the magnet off the spoke and stick it on the end of the pedal axle on the inside of the crank. It will stick there and as long as it's close enough to the sensor it will work. If you get too far away and it can't pick it up, it will shut down the whole system. And yes, it goes like stink, and burns the brakes, and the battery. LOL

Note that the sensor on mine was held on with a security torx screw that requires a special tool to remove. They REALLY don't want you messing with them, and doing so voids the warranty.

I haven't done anything with the fork. I'm reasonably happy with it for roading and bike paths. If I was to do any serious offroading I would be looking at an air fork or some other upgraded option.

I don't think they had the BT display thing in '18. I think they discontinued having a dedicated display when the new app was introduced. Worth noting, if you speedbox or sensor-hack it, the display will be off. Easy for me, I can install a regular bike computer. It won't have state of charge, but it will show speed and distance and all that - keep the smartphone for mapping.

One of the fellas I knew from adventure bike riding just got a new one, and a ladies model for his wife. They love the Giant bikes as well.

Post some new bike pics and comment you get it. 👍

Holy smokes...smokin' deal!!!

Funny, I liked the green. But then I rode dirtbikes for fifty years and you get used to 'kawaski green', even if you never owned one. 🤣
In any case, IMO it's way nicer than the all black 2020 model.

Yes, same yamaha drive - they're fantastic. Before I paid a bunch of $$ for an eMTB I would want to try out all the big players, but the little yammer always gets high marks from knowledgeable testers. The more I ride mine the more I like it. It makes a little more whirring noise when it's cold, when you first get on it, but goes quiet as soon as it gets some run time.

I tested out the sensor re-lo and crank magnet. In fact, you can simply take the magnet off the spoke and stick it on the end of the pedal axle on the inside of the crank. It will stick there and as long as it's close enough to the sensor it will work. If you get too far away and it can't pick it up, it will shut down the whole system. And yes, it goes like stink, and burns the brakes, and the battery. LOL

Note that the sensor on mine was held on with a security torx screw that requires a special tool to remove. They REALLY don't want you messing with them, and doing so voids the warranty.

I haven't done anything with the fork. I'm reasonably happy with it for roading and bike paths. If I was to do any serious offroading I would be looking at an air fork or some other upgraded option.

I don't think they had the BT display thing in '18. I think they discontinued having a dedicated display when the new app was introduced. Worth noting, if you speedbox or sensor-hack it, the display will be off. Easy for me, I can install a regular bike computer. It won't have state of charge, but it will show speed and distance and all that - keep the smartphone for mapping.

One of the fellas I knew from adventure bike riding just got a new one, and a ladies model for his wife. They love the Giant bikes as well.

Post some new bike pics and comment you get it. 👍
Hey Browneye. I looked at speed sensor on my bike and its to far back on my bike to try just moving the magnet. The crank arm wont reach it. Looked closer at sensor and it does have whats called a "security torx" bolt on it. I dont know if thats what you ment by proprietary bolt on yours. If so you can order a set of security torx bits on amazon for around 10 bucks. Good to have because manufacturers put them on a lot of stuff. I think giant uses them on other parts of bike also. Thanx again.

Hey Browneye. I looked at speed sensor on my bike and its to far back on my bike to try just moving the magnet. The crank arm wont reach it. Looked closer at sensor and it does have whats called a "security torx" bolt on it. I dont know if thats what you ment by proprietary bolt on yours. If so you can order a set of security torx bits on amazon for around 10 bucks. Good to have because manufacturers put them on a lot of stuff. I think giant uses them on other parts of bike also. Thanx again.
Soory brown eye just re-read your post. You did mention it was a security torx. My bad

Yeah, I got a few replacements and the tools. I had some familiarity with torx as my BMW motorcycle had them all over it - EVRYTHING is torx on them things. The center pin security thing was a new one on me - didn't know there was such a thing. The only time I ever saw anything like it were the screws they sent for the toll road transponder we had in the past. Man, if you didn't save the little allen wrench thingie you were screwed. 🤣

For now I'm okay with the stock speed limit. Wifey just doesn't want to ride any faster. I have her controller set to max-20mph, so we're pretty similar. If I spent much time riding by myself, or with a faster group, I'd opt for a sensor hack or speedbox or something, even if I didn't utilize the top speed. Low 20's would be really do-able. And I would put a slightly larger front chain ring on - I just never use first or second gear.

We put 20 miles on them yesterday...2 breweries and a three beers. Having assist is awesome. 😁 It's a double-win, you can't get a DUI on a bicycle...well I guess you could if you crashed it into a car or a pedestrian, and it keeps you from over-embibing cuz you know you have to ride home. 👍

EDIT: on the sensor re-lo, you just turn it around on the chainstay like this -

maxresdefault.jpg

D%C3%A9bridage-de-v%C3%A9lo-%C3%A9lectrique.jpg

Last edited:
I have expanded the title of this thread to include the sister-bike to the Explore, the step thru model and the LIV Amiti.
While we really enjoyed the hub-drive conversion on her Specialized Roll, it quit working about a month ago and so far have not been able to successfully troubleshoot it. I removed all of the parts and shipped them off to the supplier for testing and replacement under warranty.

In the meantime we decided to get her another bike, so I went thru the whole bike-shopping effort again, and finally deciding to stick with Giant since I liked my Explore so well. In between, I also got a new Trance E+2Pro mountain bike and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had forgotten, or did not realize the Explore was available as a step-thru model. Well, not until I was looking at specs online after choosing the LIV Amiti. Turns out it is EXACTLY the same bike as the Explore step thru, just a different color. Same 700c wheels, sync-drive sport motor, 400w pack, Deore shifter, Shimano hydraulic brakes.

LIV is Giant's lady's line of bicycles. They've gone all in to support the women bike riders with product. I really like what they have to offer.

We lucked out that there were a few 2019 models left in size M and L - wifey rides a M, so we were in luck. We got a killer deal, and zero-interest financing thru Synchrony bank, we already had an account from buying my Explore. So it was all very painless. We ordered the bike Sunday, it arrived Friday, we picked it up this weekend.

One nice feature on the LIV version is the integrated headlight on the stem housing, plus an additional LED headlight - you can run either-or, but not both. The on-off switch is on the RideOneControl pad.
It also comes with a bell on the bars, but otherwise is the same bike as my Explore.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there was a chip in the paint on the battery housing so the dealer kicked back some $$, nearly enough to get the Topeak GTX rack and MTX trunk bag. I had not seen this type of bag before, with the fold-out side panniers. It's a very nice design, if not a bit spendy, and easily removable with a shoulder strap included. I had a LED taillamp on hand that installed directly to the rear reflector mount on the rack.

I got the RideControl app downloaded to her iPhone, and gave her my phone mount while I order another one, and set it all up on her bike. It's even better than the little lcd displays that come on other bikes - lots more data, and full gps mapping to boot. The app prompts for a firmware upgrade to the bike - done in about 3 minutes, for the latest version and a walk-feature update. Yes, has a walk-button assist.

I also had the Marathon/Plus tires I got for mine, but decide to go balloon - installed them on hers. At least they're better than the very thin 'gravel' tires they come with.

Seems the bars are still a little low for her, but I want her to get a little more seat time before raising the bars some more, they look high enough for her stance, and she may well get more used to it. I think you can get the bars too high and then it affects your handling.

Overall she really likes it, it's very easy to ride. It does require you to pedal though, so that is different from the Hub-Drive former bike with throttle - she said she gets a little more of a workout.

Our first ride this weekend was 20miles, and I think that's pretty good for her first time out. She used 41% of her battery, I used 55% of mine.

LED day-time running light in front, plus LED headlight, integrated with the ride control pad, Schwalbe Marathon 47-622 tires:

RideControl app on plus-size phone, ROAM phone mount, and a MIRRYCYCLE mirror:

Topeak Trunk bag and rack:

First trip to Walmart Pharmacy for prescription meds. Getting old sucks. LOL

Amiti Ebike

Last edited:
Awesome bike & details, thanks for sharing that

LED day-time running light in front, plus LED headlight, integrated with the ride control pad
Interesting, were you also able to integrate your head/tail lights with the control pad on your Giant Explore? I was at the LBS the other day and noticed that the Explore E + 4 control pad has this small light button, it didn't do anything on the stock model and when I asked, they said they are not 100% sure but it might be able to connect a light to that Explore E + 4 and have it feed off the main battery. They didn't immediately see the cable for that, they said it might need to be fished from the down tube or otherwise they can always connect one to the motor, but gonna take some labor

You can bet there's a wire down on the motor. Probly a bunch of 'em. ;)

I wouldn't mind having a headlight on mine, but rarely would ever ride after dark. Old and blind, you see... :cool:

I have expanded the title of this thread to include the sister-bike to the Explore, the step thru model and the LIV Amiti.
While we really enjoyed the hub-drive conversion on her Specialized Roll, it quit working about a month ago and so far have not been able to successfully troubleshoot it. I removed all of the parts and shipped them off to the supplier for testing and replacement under warranty.

In the meantime we decided to get her another bike, so I went thru the whole bike-shopping effort again, and finally deciding to stick with Giant since I liked my Explore so well. In between, I also got a new Trance E+2Pro mountain bike and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had forgotten, or did not realize the Explore was available as a step-thru model. Well, not until I was looking at specs online after choosing the LIV Amiti. Turns out it is EXACTLY the same bike as the Explore step thru, just a different color. Same 700c wheels, sync-drive sport motor, 400w pack, Deore shifter, Shimano hydraulic brakes.

LIV is Giant's lady's line of bicycles. They've gone all in to support the women bike riders with product. I really like what they have to offer.

We lucked out that there were a few 2019 models left in size M and L - wifey rides a M, so we were in luck. We got a killer deal, and zero-interest financing thru Synchrony bank, we already had an account from buying my Explore. So it was all very painless. We ordered the bike Sunday, it arrived Friday, we picked it up this weekend.

One nice feature on the LIV version is the integrated headlight on the stem housing, plus an additional LED headlight - you can run either-or, but not both. The on-off switch is on the RideOneControl pad.
It also comes with a bell on the bars, but otherwise is the same bike as my Explore.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there was a chip in the paint on the battery housing so the dealer kicked back some $$, nearly enough to get the Topeak GTX rack and MTX trunk bag. I had not seen this type of bag before, with the fold-out side panniers. It's a very nice design, if not a bit spendy, and easily removable with a shoulder strap included. I had a LED taillamp on hand that installed directly to the rear reflector mount on the rack.

I got the RideControl app downloaded to her iPhone, and gave her my phone mount while I order another one, and set it all up on her bike. It's even better than the little lcd displays that come one bikes - lots more data, and full gps mapping to boot. The app prompts for a firmware upgrade to the bike - done in about 3 minutes, for the latest version and a walk-feature update. Yes, has a walk-button assist.

I also had the Marathon/Plus tires I got for mine, but decide to go balloon - installed them on hers. At least they're better than the very thin 'gravel' tires they come with.

Seems the bars are still a little low for her, but I want her to get a little more seat time before raising the bars some more, they look high enough for her stance, and she may well get more used to it. I think you can get the bars too high and then it affects your handling.

Overall she really likes it, it's very easy to ride. It does require you to pedal though, so that is different from the Hub-Drive former bike with throttle - she said she gets a little more of a workout.

Our first ride this weekend was 20miles, and I think that's pretty good for her first time out. She used 41% of her battery, I used 55% of mine.

LED day-time running light in front, plus LED headlight, integrated with the ride control pad, Schwalbe Marathon 47-622 tires:

Amiti Ebike

That’s a gorgeous bike!
I suspect it will attract lots of compliments.

I got the RideControl app downloaded to her iPhone, and gave her my phone mount while I order another one, and set it all up on her bike. It's even better than the little lcd displays that come on other bikes - lots more data, and full gps mapping to boot. The app prompts for a firmware upgrade to the bike - done in about 3 minutes, for the latest version and a walk-feature update. Yes, has a walk-button assist.

Amiti Ebike

Any downside to purchasing an Explore step through? Given some balance and joint issues the step through looks good.

None. It's a great bike, I love mine.
The Amiti is the same bike, but painted for the women of the world. 👍

BTW, I discovered a new feature on the Amiti, quite by mistake.
The two front lights, one circle led on the stem housing, and a LED headlamp mounted on the fork brace - the latter has a switch on it, one way it lights up, the other the led circle light lights up. So I turned it on the other day and couldn't get the circle led to light. WTH. So I took it all apart thinking it was the switch, which did not fix it, finally ended up just putting it all back together and back on the bike.

Low and behold, it has a ambient lighting sensor - during daylight the circle light will light up, and after dark the headlamp lights up. I wonder if that's in the manual. 🤣

Really nice feature...lighting for dummies. LOL

Last edited:
I purchased the STA frame and am really thankful I did. It has saved me from a number of stupid dumps and at my age any ground contact is bad. Get over the teenage stimaga, you know it’s a better choice.

Back