Error readings on my new ST2 onboard computer screen

chgofirefighter

When I recently purchased the ST2, it was discharging the battery for no apparent reason. I was told to remove the battery to reset the system. Today, I notice when I went to ride the ST2 and turned it on, it stated 0 battery when it was at least 75% originally. I had to remove the battery and re insert it a few times and then it read the proper battery percentage. Then later in the evening while riding on a trail, I notice that onboard computer screen stated "System Error” “motor error” etc with instructions telling me to turn off the bike, remove the battery and re insert. Well I was far away from my residence and it was late in the evening, 11 o'clock or so. Needless to say that I got a bit worried if this bike left me stranded. I couldn't get this error issue resolved. I had to remove the battery more than once and it finally the system reset itself. While riding the bike home I notice some hesitation within the motor system on level 3 and 2. It seemed like it was holding itself back and not running smoothly, very strange and very hard to describe it but this bike is brand new!

When I recently purchased the ST2, it was discharging the battery for no apparent reason. I was told to remove the battery to reset the system. Today, I notice when I went to ride the ST2 and turned it on, it stated 0 battery when it was at least 75% originally. I had to remove the battery and re insert it a few times and then it read the proper battery percentage. Then later in the evening while riding on a trail, I notice that onboard computer screen stated "System Error” “motor error” etc with instructions telling me to turn off the bike, remove the battery and re insert. Well I was far away from my residence and it was late in the evening, 11 o'clock or so. Needless to say that I got a bit worried if this bike left me stranded. I couldn't get this error issue resolved. I had to remove the battery more than once and it finally the system reset itself. While riding the bike home I notice some hesitation within the motor system on level 3 and 2. It seemed like it was holding itself back and not running smoothly, very strange and very hard to describe it but this bike is brand new!

Interesting, I had this same problem on a long ride yesterday, thought that the motor had a slight hitch in it while riding in level 2, about 27-28 miles into the ride. I stopped and turned the bike "off" for a moment, then re-started and the problem disappeared for the rest of the ride back. I also on at least 2, maybe 3 occasions had the bike fail to "turn on" when the button to do so was pressed. Each time, I removed and reinstalled the battery which solved the problem. It all makes me very curious...perhaps its time for a diagnostic check?

I had the same issue today. I have about 2400 km on my ST2 and today when I turned it on to commute home, I had a system error and the motor error message. I could not clear it after repeated attempts of removing battery. I finally got it to clear only to find my battery was only 54% charged, even though it had been plugged in for 6 hrs. Charged for a while, and then had the same thing with the error message happen again. Finally cleared it after repeated attempts again. What gives?

I had the same issue today. I have about 2400 km on my ST2 and today when I turned it on to commute home, I had a system error and the motor error message. I could not clear it after repeated attempts of removing battery. I finally got it to clear only to find my battery was only 54% charged, even though it had been plugged in for 6 hrs. Charged for a while, and then had the same thing with the error message happen again. Finally cleared it after repeated attempts again. What gives?

The issue I had has not to this point resurfaced, but another interesting battery charging development that I have experienced is that when I attempt to recharge the battery while in the "lock" mode, it does not seem to charge. So I now always charge it in off mode and this has seemed to solve that problem. I'm not a fan of removing the battery to charge it though I have done it before. Stromer indicates in their literature that the first three times you ride the bike, take the battery charge almost completely down, then recharge it. I wonder if everyone has adhered to this indication from Stromer? It's not much fun because unless you take some longer rides, it will take several shorter ones to wear down the battery to that level before recharging. Others have mentioned that the battery software is "buggy". Perhaps there will be an update that will start to solve that problem?

Thanks for the tip. I realise now that I get the same issue when charging in lock mode. Just happened this morning again. I am concerned about the system error, it would not be fun if this is going to be fairly consistently popping up. This morning the bike is starting fine, I just had the charge only to 84% because of the lock mode I believe. Lots of bugs in the firmware for this bike! When are we getting an update Stromer?

I dont think I have had charge errors while my bike is off.I may have had an incomplete charge once but the bike may have been on. I never lock my bike , it in a locked garage or no more than 20 ft from me while it is out so i I can say anything about locked . I have had my bike for a year and 7500 miles. i have had the low assist issues pop up where i could get past 8 mph in power level 1 and on gong issues w/surging . I am waiting for a new motor currently . My spoke pulled through the hole on the motor housing so thee is no hole, it is an elongated slot w/open end. Manufacture defect being replaced under warranty , local shop is slow but nice, frustrated , havent ridden my bike in over two weeks

Add me to the list of people having batt charging issues and weird error messages. I had a surging issue once on a ride but went away on its own fairly quickly. But worried it might come back or is a bigger underlying problem.

Now that people mention it, I do think while in lock mode the batt doesn't charge. I think that has happened me to as well. I am thinking I will just charge with batt out. That also clears the system before the next ride. I can't afford to have unreliable charging since I commute with this bike

I'm going to log a ticket with stromer support. Everyone should do the same and let's update the forums as we hear any news about firmware updates, what stromer will do to resolve, etc

No more errors after update FW 2.01.262 1 after bat error, drive error and other strange behavior

It seems that my controller is the issue. Stromer is shipping a new controller to my LBS. My ride home on Friday was strange,to say the least. The bike was surging in Level assist 3 and was really down on power when climbing...made for a long 30 km commute in 30 deg Celcius weather....

my motor was replaced for the broken housing defect and I continue to have surging issues. sometimes in level 1 I can get 8mph for assist and no more. About 3 or. 4 times last night on a 50 miles ride , no assist from standstill 2 revolutions before any assist and then it came on very gradually. It feels like the toque sensor isn't accepting input and when it does it skips low assistance.. I hope the tech can feel this .

I have had an St2 for the past 10 months and have been back to the dealer many times with the error code. I ride about 22 miles to work each way and the error message appears anywhere from 2-8 times a ride. I stop, remove the battery and it resets. Sometimes the same problem appears within a mile, sometimes it could be 10 miles. There is no common pattern -- riding fast, slow, on different settings, down a hill, gliding are all situations in which it has happened. I have had the control unit replaced and it still happens. It is dangerous because the bike lights shut off and the bike is essentially in theft mode. With no where to pull over this is a accident waiting to happen. Given that this bike has never been right during the past 1,800 miles I think I got a lemon.

My controller was just replaced . Took the bike home and when I started it up the omni will not connect to cell service. The 3rd time I started it up I got a system error. Strangely enough, I switched it off and back on and it cleared. I never had to remove the battery. Back to the LBS I guess. This is frustrating!

My controller was just replaced . Took the bike home and when I started it up the omni will not connect to cell service. The 3rd time I started it up I got a system error. Strangely enough, I switched it off and back on and it cleared. I never had to remove the battery. Back to the LBS I guess. This is frustrating!

Computer devices being what they are, you might try deleting the Omni app from your phone then reinstalling it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but maybe worth a try?

I have had an St2 for the past 10 months and have been back to the dealer many times with the error code. I ride about 22 miles to work each way and the error message appears anywhere from 2-8 times a ride. I stop, remove the battery and it resets. Sometimes the same problem appears within a mile, sometimes it could be 10 miles. There is no common pattern -- riding fast, slow, on different settings, down a hill, gliding are all situations in which it has happened. I have had the control unit replaced and it still happens. It is dangerous because the bike lights shut off and the bike is essentially in theft mode. With no where to pull over this is a accident waiting to happen. Given that this bike has never been right during the past 1,800 miles I think I got a lemon.

I would try to talk with Joel directly at Stromer...that sounds like a terrible problem. It cannot be any fun at all to have to stop on you commute to remove and reinstall the battery. Stromer ought to make that right in a hurry...

I would try to talk with Joel directly at Stromer...that sounds like a terrible problem. It cannot be any fun at all to have to stop on you commute to remove and reinstall the battery. Stromer ought to make that right in a hurry...

I'm playing phone tag with Chan with Stromer right now and I understand that Joel is at 1800 819 4262 ext 111. Had great fun riding home in the dark last night when it shut down almost every mile. Will keep you posted on what Stromer does other than say to bring it to the dealer which I've done 4-5 times with no success.

I have had an St2 for the past 10 months and have been back to the dealer many times with the error code.

The "Drive Error" or something different?
There is a log-file in the battery, which stores alle errors with their internal codes. Did your LBS read them? Sometimes, it might be helpful replacing (temporarily) the battery. Controller and battery are the sole parts containing electronic devices in an ST2. And false information from the BMS may lead to strange behavior of the controller.

The "Drive Error" or something different?
There is a log-file in the battery, which stores alle errors with their internal codes. Did your LBS read them? Sometimes, it might be helpful replacing (temporarily) the battery. Controller and battery are the sole parts containing electronic devices in an ST2. And false information from the BMS may lead to strange behavior of the controller.

bluecat, thanks...that is interesting info. For some reason, I was thinking that the torque sensor operated electronically as did the motor, so assumed that there must be electronic devices contained in each. There will always be bugs in anything electronic; just wish there were more Stromer dealers in the US; translate dealers handling the Stromer line. It is a great bike...thanks again for the info

...t the torque sensor operated electronically as did the motor, so assumed that there must be electronic devices contained in each...

OK, in the motor housing, you'll find the hall-sensor. But similar to the torque-sensor, I would say, these are electromechanical devices (no integrated circuits). Same for the two brake-switches. Independent from the Stromer parts, the Supernova has its own electronics.

I would say, if electronic parts are run by firmware or software, bugs might happen from time to time. If they are hard wired, they run or or die. As you mentioned, the quality of service depends on the educational level of the LBS. I assume, the most LBS are excellent bike mechanics. In terms of Stromer issues, you may help them through describing the error as precise as possible.

Back