Enola Low Grade Trail Full Moon Ride

JedidiahStolzfus

Region
USA
City
Lancaster, PA
I've walked across this bridge and the one below it when it was still an active line. The route looks like it starts above Turkey Hill and runs out to the other side where the Conestoga flows into the Susquehanna. Looks like it'll be fun.

Manor Township will host a full-moon bike ride on the Enola Low Grade Rail Trail on Monday, Nov. 7, affording cyclists their first nighttime opportunity to cross the recently opened Safe Harbor trestle bridge.

“We’re just trying to have a community event that highlights the rail trail and showcases our bridge,” township Manager Ryan Strohecker said Thursday. The trail is generally open dawn to dusk.

“I envision cyclists crossing the bridge and stopping to look at the Susquehanna below the dam. You just see the moonlight glistening off the water. To me, that just seems really cool,” he said. (Rain date is Nov. 14. Check the township’s Facebook page.)

The bridge, which at 125 feet above the Conestoga River is the third-highest railroad trestle in the country, opened in June.

From the start of the trail in the parking lot (2459 River Road, Washington Boro) across the bridge and back is about 10.5 miles. The free ride starts at 7 p.m. Headlights or flashlights are required. Water, hot cider and snacks will be provided at the bridge, while supplies last.

“It’s meant to be a community, family event,” Strohecker said.

Riders could go further — the rebuilt Martic Forge railroad trestle over Pequea Creek about three miles downriver opened to the public Friday — but they should be cognizant of time.

“We’re telling people that you need to be out of our parking lot at 10 p.m., because we close the gate,” Strohecker said.

The township hosted a nighttime ride two years ago and about 30 people participated, but crossing the bridge was not an option then.

Creating the quarter-mile concrete pedestrian crossing atop the bridge was the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ top trail gap priority for linking regional rail trails in the state.

It now links two popular sections of the Enola Low Grade multi-use trail, enabling users to traverse 28 miles from Turkey Hill to the Chester County line.

I've walked across this bridge and the one below it when it was still an active line. The route looks like it starts above Turkey Hill and runs out to the other side where the Conestoga flows into the Susquehanna. Looks like it'll be fun.

The Safe Harbor Trestle is spectacular and as of last Thursday the Martic Forge Trestle is open again a few miles down the trail after an arsonist burned the historic bridge down in 2018. I've ridden the trail prior to the fire, there's a lot to see on the section between Turkey Hill and the Martic bridge. Two historic trestle bridges, the Susquehanna River, Safe Harbor Hydroelectric Dam, climbing cliffs and the wreckage from the Christmas train wreck can still be found in winter when all the leaves are down.

Safe Harbor Trestle Before:

After:

Christmas Train Wreck:

The Martic Forge Trestle:

A true destination trail.

Wow! As a Pennsylvania Railroad buff, I foresee doing this in the future when we are in the area again. I love the old steel supports still above the bridge patiently awaiting insulators, catenary wire, and 11,000 volts. Thanks for the article Jeddidiah!

A buddy of mine road his motorcycle across that Martic Forge Trestle back in the 80's. We all spent a lot of time down there. Been through Cold Cave (The Pequea Caves) many times.

I did actually ride my bike up Turkey Hill in 1986 and went back down River road into Safe Harbor. That was fun, the climb wasn't bad because I was used to riding every day. The downhill was fun and scary. Hitting that bridge at the bottom to cross the Conestoga without slowing down much was great.

Too bad I didn’t know about this earlier. We just picked up 2 puppies from Honey Brook, and I would have loved to ride it. I guess we will do that our next time to that area.

Bumping cause it starts in a few hours and it looks like it's gonna be a beautiful evening. It's currently 74F, clear skies and nothing on the radar to spoil the evening.

Bumping cause it starts in a few hours and it looks like it's gonna be a beautiful evening. It's currently 74F, clear skies and nothing on the radar to spoil the evening.
Enjoy! If you want to get an alert to more people in the area try posting in this thread:

Hopefully we can do another group ride.

I just got back. Got there around 6:30ish. Didn't know anyone, but ended up riding with someone that didn't know anyone either. Had a good ride and conversation. It was beautiful out. I'd say there were more than 100 riders. Hard to judge though. The trail is smooth and wide, the bridge is good to ride on. Great night.

Back